4th November 2011, 01:56 PM
apoorve2231

Should I prepare for IES or PSU exam?

sir i am persuing b.tech from electrical and electronics.... kindly tel me what should i go with in future.... either i should prepare for ies oor psu exams...

8th September 2012, 01:08 PM
imira
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Should I prepare for IES or PSU exam?

Both the options will be good to build up an excellent career. If you are much interested in engineering services, then prepare for the exam conducted by UPSC. Detailed notification can be collected from the portal of UPSC. PSU like ONGC, NTPC, SAIL, etc offers lucrative jobs for ECE graduates. Both these test are related to technical topics.
8th September 2012, 03:53 PM
sherleytwain
Senior Member+++++

Well the both options are good. You can prepare for either one of the exam and aim for a good future. Both Public Sector Undertaking jobs and Indian Engineering Service offer good pay along with job security. Therefore it is very hard to choose between the two exams.

However you should make sure that you are meeting the eligibility criteria for the Public Sector Undertaking exam.

>>>> Eligibility <<<<

>> B.Tech degree in any stream from a recognised university.

>> At least 60 percent marks in B.Tech course.

>> Your age should not exceed 30 years.

>> Relaxation in age is given to reserve category as per government rules.

Now here is a tip for you. You should appear for the General Aptitude Test for Engineering (GATE). There are few PSU Companies including the ones that hire EEE candidates, who are no longer conducting written test, instead they prefer the GATE score of the candidate.

Therefore if you performed well in th GATE exam, there would be no need to prepare for any written exam for PSU or IES and still you would get the job. So before you prepare for either one of the exam, make sure to sit in GATE entrance exam.

In case you have not performed well in GATE, then your chances for the PSU jobs are not so bright because even the companies that conducts written test are giving huge preference to the GATE Exam. In such scenario, you should prepare for the IES Exam.

Here are the requirements for Indian Engineering Service Exam.

Only candidates who have completed B.Tech in following stream are eligible to appear in IES Exam.

>> Civil Engineering

>> Electrical Engineering

>> Mechanical engineering

>> Electronics and Communication Engineering

>>>> Eligibility <<<<

>> A B.Tech degree in one of the streams mentioned above.

>> The age limit for IES Exam is 21 to 30 years.

>> Age relaxation is applicable for SC/ST/OBC as per central government rules.
8th September 2012, 09:02 PM
sunilpati
Senior Member+++++

Hi dear............
Indian Engineering Services Examination (IES) is conducted by UPSC, India every year. It is conducted for the recruitment to the engineering categories in government services like Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Electronics & Tele Communication Engineering. Those who clear IES can join in good grades and they have a faster career progression in government sector. Those who are looking for a stable government job in engineering cadre, IES is the exam you need to watch out for.

Eligibility criteria for IES exam:

The candidates should be a graduate in engineering field , The age limit is 21 - 30 yrs.There is a age relaxation for SC/ST & OBC candidates,.

Structure and Pattern of IES

Selection process of the candidates is based on Written Test and Personality Test. Only those candidates who get qualified for written test can attend personality test.

Written Test

Paper I (Objective type) - General Ability Test
(Part A: General English)
(Part B: General Studies)
200 Marks each

Papers II & III (Objective type)
Civil Engineering/Mechanical Engineering/Electrical Engineering/Electronics & Tele-Communication Engineering
200 Marks each

Papers IV & V (Descriptive)
Civil Engineering/Mechanical Engineering/Electrical Engineering/Electronics & Tele-communication Engineering
200 Marks each

Total marks for written exam - 1000 Marks

For more details follow below chart:

For more details visit official website of UPSC.
http://www.upsc.gov.in

Good luck,............
9th June 2013, 01:08 AM
Unregistered

respected sir,
i hv one back kt of third sem in extc.now i hv completed SE .am i eligible for ies,i hv started preparation for the same.if not then plz specify other related competetive exams.
9th June 2013, 02:18 PM
spider man2906
Senior Member+

Hello friend

You are eligible for both the exams IES and PSU

PSU stands for public sector companies

Educational qualification :

>>All the candidates must complete graduation in Engineering with good percentage of aggregate from a recognised board.
>>All the candidates must have atleast 65% of marks.

Age limits :
>>The minimum age allowed is 21 years.
>>The maximum age is 30 years.

IES :

IES stands for Indian engineering services

Educational qualification :
1. All the candidates must complete B.Tech in the branches like
i. Mechanical engineering
ii. Electrical engineering
iii. Civil engineering
iv. Electronics engineering

Age limit :
1. All the candidates must be in the age group of 21 - 30 years

Relaxations :
1. All the BC candidates can get 3 years age relaxation
2. Sc, St categories can get 5 years age relaxation

all the best
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?