26th January 2011, 02:37 PM
Absa Siddiqui

Which subject should I choose in 11th class if my ultimate goal is civil services?

what should i take in 11th class for I.A.S. exam?(PCB,PCM or Commerce?)

26th January 2011, 06:01 PM
prtk.co

Default Re: Which subject should I choose in 11th class if my ultimate goal is civil services?

You must choose PCM for civil service.Or you can choose PCMB.
26th January 2011, 06:07 PM
Rohit Vashisht
Senior Member+

Default Re: Which subject should I choose in 11th class if my ultimate goal is civil services?

PCM (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics) are mandatory subjects for students aspecting Engineering after 10+2, along with that they may take any sujects combination like Biology, English, Computer Science, Physical Education, etc.
26th January 2011, 06:09 PM
Rohit Vashisht
Senior Member+

One can also choose Economy or Geography as 5th subject, its upto your choice.
26th January 2011, 06:20 PM
prashantmeghalia
Senior Member++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absa Siddiqui View Post
dear friend,
since you want to go for IAS exam, you must select physics, chemistry and maths as your main subjects. as most of the questions will come from these subjects. after completing your 12th class, you will also have to do graduation in any field of your choice. only after that, you will become eligible to give the exam.
26th January 2011, 06:39 PM
SANDEEP891985
Senior Member+++++

Hello Absa,
Its good to know that in your initial stage, you have chosen your career-civil service. But before talking about what stream you should select for your education, let me tell you about the civil service examination.
UPSC has brought a change in the format of the civil service exam from 2011 onwards. Civil service aptitude test has replaced the preliminary exam.
The civil service aptitude test will comprise of fundamental mathematics, mental ability test, reasoning, english comprehension etc. So, now you must have got the idea of what you need to know to crack this aptitude test. You need to have a strong base of the subjects like english grammer and basic maths. For the rest like reasoning and mental ability test, you will require to use your common sense. You will find many books to practice such questions and if you work hard, it won't be difficult to crack the test and move on to the next stage-Main exam.
The main exam comprises of compulsary and optional subjects.
The compulsary subjects for the Main exam are one Indian language, English, Essay and General studies.
Following are the optional subject for the IAS main exam:
Agriculture Mathematics, Animal Husbandry & Vetinary Science, Mechanical Engineering Botany, Medical Science, Chemistry, Philosophy, Civil Engineering, Physics, Commerce,Political Science ,Economics ,Psychology Electrical Engineering Public Administration, Geography, Sociology, Geology, Statistics, Indian,History, Zoology,Law.
So, now you can see that the compulsary subjects are related to arts stream.
If you have good knowledge of english and if you follow newspapers, articles and keep yourself updated with the current affairs, you can clear the compulsary subjects. Now, as far as optional subjects are concerned, you may choose subjects you are good at.
Therefore, Either you select PCB or PCM or commerce, you will have to work on subjects like English, General studies, basic Mathematics etc. So, since the compulsary subjects in the main exam are from the arts stream, you must pursue you higher studies in the same stream, otherwise, it's not going to make much of a difference if you select PCM/PCB or Commerce.
26th January 2011, 07:10 PM
Harshita21

I think you choose arts because you have to focus more on indian history , geography , economics & mathematics.

With arts or commerce you can be able to focus towards your goal & gaining general knowledge & awareness.

With PCM /PCB you will be sticked to PCM only & need not more time for other things.
26th January 2011, 07:23 PM
Mrs_Praveen_Gola
Senior Member+++++

You can take any subject in 11th class in which your interest lies into as the minimum qualification for the civil service exam is Bachelor’s degree of a recognised university.But as a science subject student has vast knowledge so its better to select the science stream.
26th January 2011, 08:34 PM
dreksha chaudhary
Senior Member+++

Dear friend,

Your goal is very excellent.

As you want to became IAS so I would like to suggest you to take commerce in the
11 th class. Commerce will help you to clear the IAS exam.

Along with commerce you should start preparation of IAS.

All the best.
26th January 2011, 08:51 PM
diego
Banned

well friend people who have done it and tried it say IAS exam preparation is like following 3 graduations together... really its that gruesome so, whoever you ask will suggest you to choose subjects according to your natural flair, .... however some subjects are traditionally considered to yield more results... people frequently prefer geography history political science etc.
one thing thing you can definitely do is to strengthen your writing ... read newspapers magazines editorials.. and practice rewriting them also write on burning issues and other important topics. Be strong in GS sections...
this way you will be much well prepared when you actually start your preparation and it will also be much fun!!
wishes
diego
26th January 2011, 09:01 PM
Tushar93

Smile Re: Which subject should I choose in 11th class if my ultimate goal is civil services?

Hello Absa,
You can choose any stream you want, there is no compulsion.
However I recommend you to choose Humanities if your ultimate goal is civil services. As the subjects such as History, Political Science etc. helps you a lot ahead.
From the choices you have mentioned I recommend Commerce as it has economics which will be helpful.
26th January 2011, 11:32 PM
kumarpravir007
Senior Member+++

hello friend .......
according to me you should take the PCM subject in your 11th class to do the IAS exam
also PCM subject students are in a great demand........throughout and everywhere.....
27th January 2011, 12:04 AM
Mayank Shekhar

Dear,
You should choose PCM i.e. physics , chemistry , maths as your subject if you want to be in civil services.
Thanks.
27th January 2011, 05:12 PM
yashwar sharma S.G.
Senior Member++

hello,

Actually by the subject you can choose anyone which you have interest and easy to cope up. Suppose if maths is not comfortable for you,then better you go for PCB. like this you can choose.

The eligibility for the IAS exam is graduate from any university.So you can choose well and prepare for the exam.

best wishes!!!
28th January 2011, 01:40 AM
abhimanyu2688

Hello Friend,
It is upon you to choose the subjects. But you should those subjects in which you are interested and is comfortable with. It will help you in qualifying Civil Services Exam as you will have good command over that subjects.
So take those subject in class 11th and 12th and in graduation in which you are going to write the UPSC CS Exam.
Good Luck.
22nd February 2011, 11:36 AM
Unregistered

what can i choose in class 11 . show me all options.
23rd February 2011, 02:54 PM
jincy eapen

well you should go for maths science in 11th so that you can do civil engineering in future
12th March 2011, 05:16 PM
Unregistered

i am in class 10 & i am a little confused what to take in 11??
i like all subjects but maths a little??
what should i tak??
13th March 2011, 05:38 PM
Unregistered

which subjects i should choose for acting?
15th March 2011, 06:09 PM
aditya436
Senior Member++++

Thumbs up Re: Which subject should I choose in 11th class if my ultimate goal is civil services?

there is no compulsion for you take a particular group for your goal..

because civils is nowhere related to subject

all you should have is

love towards your country..

some situation handling skills

some knowledge regarding past present and future politics

my suggestion is choose some groups like

social studies or pyschycology subjects

so that it will be help ful for you in your dream job..

keep on thinking which will be the best groups to opt..

in my view

social studies or pyschology will be the best

make a wise selection and decide for your future..

all the best

~aditya~
24th March 2011, 10:05 AM
Unregistered

Wat should i choose 11 class?only tel me whether i should take PCM or PCB or both?even i don't know my aim so please help mee!
25th March 2011, 01:56 AM
rocking_indian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absa Siddiqui View Post
I.A.S does not depend on the choice of subject you take in class 11th

but if you only want to get into I.A.S. then opt for commerce since you will be little bit relaxed to towards your +2 and can more focus on I.A.S. entrance exam
29th March 2011, 02:26 PM
Unregistered

WHICH SUBJECTS SHOULD I OPT IF MY ULTIMATE GOAL IS CIVIL LAW?
29th March 2011, 05:42 PM
Unregistered

I do not want to take arts as a subject for IAS. What else i can take?
3rd April 2011, 05:58 PM
Unregistered

what are the basic things that we reqired to opt for science?
6th April 2011, 12:05 PM
Unregistered

while taking PCM for IAS........ AS AN ADDITIONBAL SUBJECT i SHOULD TAKE COMPUTERS OR ECONOMICS?
6th April 2011, 09:20 PM
Unregistered

Which subject should i choose in 11th class,if i want to be an airhostess?
11th April 2011, 11:46 PM
Unregistered

hey
i had recently given my 10th exams and i am totally confused that what should i choose in 11th. my basic goal is i.a.s .So which subject i should choose pcm or commerce..???
JUST HELP ME PLEASE .I AM IN A GREAT DIFFICULTY... :)
12th April 2011, 12:15 AM
ashok880
Senior Member++++

Civils the bright career for many and it is the dream for many
For civils you should be serious about your studies.. I.A.S is the pride of indian service.. congrats to you on going through that side of service
It depends on your interest after 10th.. coz I.A.S is mainly related to general knowledge and many.. according to me i suggest you to opt for Physics , Chemistry , Maths after 10th which will be a strong foundation for exhibiting your skills continuosly..
so opt for PCM
12th April 2011, 08:20 AM
Taurus007

hii

choose in 11th class if my ultimate goal is civil services
You can take any subject in 11th class in which your interest lies into as the minimum qualification for the civil service exam is Bachelor’s degree of a recognised university.But as a science subject student has vast knowledge so its better to select the science stream
my suggestion is choose some groups like
social studies or pyschycology subjects
so that it will be help ful for you in your dream job..
keep on thinking which will be the best groups to opt..
in my view
social studies or pyschology will be the best
make a wise selection and decide for your future..

good luck
12th April 2011, 10:41 AM
vijaypatel54
Senior Member+

well friend people who have done it and tried it say IAS exam preparation is like following 3 graduations together... really its that gruesome so, whoever you ask will suggest you to choose subjects according to your natural flair, .... however some subjects are traditionally considered to yield more results... people frequently prefer geography history political science etc.
one thing thing you can definitely do is to strengthen your writing ... read newspapers magazines editorials.. and practice rewriting them also write on burning issues and other important topics. Be strong in GS sections...
this way you will be much well prepared when you actually start your preparation and it will also be much fun!!
wishes
diego
12th April 2011, 11:10 AM
VEERU_VIRENDR
Senior Member+

Hello,
Listen very very carefully, there is no boundation of subject to appear in civil services exam. For that UPSC conducts civil services exam through which top class officers as IAS,IPS,IFS and for alloyed services are selected .
Eligibility-
*should be graduated from an affiliated university or institutions.
*age limit- 21-30 yrs(for general category)
for reserved category there are some age relaxation.
Exam -
*prelims-CSAT(june)
*mains (october)
after qualifying mains candidates would be eligible for interview.for more information you can visit the official site of upsc- www.upsc.gov.in
Although to choose subject in 11th it totally depends on your interest, because you have to choose two optional subject for mains, so choose subject which you can prepare easily and comfortable to give your answers. Ok best of luck.
12th April 2011, 05:35 PM
balathegreat
Senior Member+

Thumbs up Re: Which subject should I choose in 11th class if my ultimate goal is civil services?

Hi friend,

For IAS exam i think you can take commerce group itself. Because it is

little bit easier than science group. For writing UPSC exam whatever group you

take it doesn't matter so you can take a group easier to study and a degree

easier to study. So that you can prepare for UPSC exam from now itself.

ALL THE BEST
16th April 2011, 06:45 PM
akkilala
Member+

hi dear
However I recommend you to choose Humanities if your ultimate goal is civil services. As the subjects such as History, Political Science etc. helps you a lot ahead.
From the choices you have mentioned I recommend Commerce as it has economics which will be helpful.
thanks
16th April 2011, 06:49 PM
akkilala
Member+

hi dear
thanks
17th April 2011, 10:31 PM
Unregistered

what are the related jobs in science?
18th April 2011, 06:24 PM
Nazu_khurana

Smile Re: Which subject should I choose in 11th class if my ultimate goal is civil services?

In my opinion you should choose arts or commerce as your stream as with arts or commerce you will be able to focus towards your goal & gaining general knowledge & awareness, which is more important for civil services exams.

BEST OF LUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!
30th April 2011, 10:15 PM
Unregistered

Hello .
I am in 10th Grade and I Have an Aptitude for Sciences . Also , I have a Clear Cut Idea that I want to be an IAS . What Stream do you Suggest ?
5th May 2011, 03:09 PM
Unregistered

i seen all the comments finally i am very confused about what group to take in my eleventh standard please suggest me.
5th May 2011, 03:19 PM
Unregistered

i have seen all the comments i am very confused about what group to take in my eleventh standard so please suggest me about it
6th May 2011, 01:07 AM
kanchanyadav
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i have seen all the comments i am very confused about what group to take in my eleventh standard so please suggest me about it
Civil Services

Hi,

Don't get confused and don't get tensed.

If you are interested in Civil services then you can choose any stream in 11th.

Only educational qualification require is graduation from a recognized university.

But i would like to suggest you, if becoming an IAS/IPS officer is your dream then you go for ARTS stream

Because to become an IAS officer you must have knowledge about politics, economy, general knowledge, current affair, history, geography etc...

Here is Eligibility Criteria for IAS/ IPS examination:

- Must have graduation degree from recognized university.

- Age limit- for general category 21-30 years and relaxation of 3 years for OBC and 5 years for SC/ST.

- Number of attempts for general category is 4, for OBC 7 and for SC/ST no limit.

If you want to qualify Civil service examination then you have to make a grip over general knowledge, current affair, aptitude etc...

So start preparing from now onward, it will going to help you in future.

So for other details and notification please visit official website of UPSC http://www.upsc.gov.in

All the Best...
6th May 2011, 09:48 PM
surendergora
Senior Member++++

You have a long journey ahead, and only after graduation you will be eligible for civil service exam.
You can do something in simpler steps and you can opt for any stream and any graduation course.

Visit this site, it will be helpful for you in long run:
www.onestopias.com
9th May 2011, 05:01 PM
Unregistered

can u bring best answer from an ias officer which is good for every one.
17th May 2011, 11:45 AM
Absa Siddiqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocking_indian View Post
I.A.S does not depend on the choice of subject you take in class 11th

but if you only want to get into I.A.S. then opt for commerce since you will be little bit relaxed to towards your +2 and can more focus on I.A.S. entrance exam
thank you sir...!!!!!!!!!!!!....
17th May 2011, 11:46 AM
Absa Siddiqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDEEP891985 View Post
Hello Absa,
Its good to know that in your initial stage, you have chosen your career-civil service. But before talking about what stream you should select for your education, let me tell you about the civil service examination.
UPSC has brought a change in the format of the civil service exam from 2011 onwards. Civil service aptitude test has replaced the preliminary exam.
The civil service aptitude test will comprise of fundamental mathematics, mental ability test, reasoning, english comprehension etc. So, now you must have got the idea of what you need to know to crack this aptitude test. You need to have a strong base of the subjects like english grammer and basic maths. For the rest like reasoning and mental ability test, you will require to use your common sense. You will find many books to practice such questions and if you work hard, it won't be difficult to crack the test and move on to the next stage-Main exam.
The main exam comprises of compulsary and optional subjects.
The compulsary subjects for the Main exam are one Indian language, English, Essay and General studies.
Following are the optional subject for the IAS main exam:
Agriculture Mathematics, Animal Husbandry & Vetinary Science, Mechanical Engineering Botany, Medical Science, Chemistry, Philosophy, Civil Engineering, Physics, Commerce,Political Science ,Economics ,Psychology Electrical Engineering Public Administration, Geography, Sociology, Geology, Statistics, Indian,History, Zoology,Law.
So, now you can see that the compulsary subjects are related to arts stream.
If you have good knowledge of english and if you follow newspapers, articles and keep yourself updated with the current affairs, you can clear the compulsary subjects. Now, as far as optional subjects are concerned, you may choose subjects you are good at.
Therefore, Either you select PCB or PCM or commerce, you will have to work on subjects like English, General studies, basic Mathematics etc. So, since the compulsary subjects in the main exam are from the arts stream, you must pursue you higher studies in the same stream, otherwise, it's not going to make much of a difference if you select PCM/PCB or Commerce.
thank you sir.....!!!!!!!!!!!.....
2nd September 2011, 10:37 PM
Unregistered

siddharthi

i m a student of commerce stream in 11th class. my subjects are (accounts,business studies, economics, maths, english, physical education) . i want to be an ias, out of these subjects which subject would help me in preparing for my goal???
5th October 2011, 10:06 AM
vinay21feb
Senior Member+++

well exactly speaking you can give all the competative ecaminatios after 11th class. but u wont be selected in any of the examination even if u qualify for the exam. the basic requarement they need is 12 th class. as u said u are in 11 th class so as per as norms there is no barrier in giving the exam but after u qualify they will surly chack ur markshhets and each and evry documents where u can get caought. so tha thing is that give all th examinations like IIT,AIEEE, MANY BANK EXAMS LIKE IBPS,STATE BANK,HDFC BANK.just try thetse exams after 11th class only for the perpration of tyhe exam. as much you will try and sit for a exam u will get more and more experience and u will necome good. at the same time try good coaching classes which are their for the students. these coaching classes realyy have good techers and good students where u can competete with them so that will be also a good prtepartion thing for u. at the same make time table for a day in which plan cetain thing which u will do on that day and try to do all the thing at leat try. this will realyy help u. as you are now in class 11th so u really have a great chance a goor amount of time left with u to prepare well for all the competetve examsa nd do weell in them. at the same time dont try to crack every exam make a goal of someking basis on the intrest of yours and try to excel in that filed.
2nd March 2012, 06:45 PM
Unregistered

Which subject should i take if i want to Become a good and Successfull Businessman with My own Capital , I mean without any type of financial help from any of my Relatives , Family and even my Parents ?
7th March 2012, 05:58 PM
Dexter_Morgan

1. After class 10 u can join DIPLOMA course like;

Diploma in mechanical engineering

Diploma in telecommunication engineering

Diploma in automobile engineering

Diploma in computer science

Diploma in plastics engineering

Diploma in textile designing

Diploma in Hotel Management

Diploma in Engineering(Civil,ME,EE etc.)

Diploma in Pharmacy

Diploma in Hotel Management

Diploma in Stenography

Diploma in Social Service

2. You can choose science in 10+2 than there will be many fields like;

BSc
BCA
MCA
B.E
MBBS etc

3.You take commerce and can do
Bcom
Mcom
CA,BBA,MBA etc
27th March 2012, 02:41 PM
Unregistered

I wanna be an I.A.S. officer in my life wat should i opt. in 11th as i have no interest in science but do have in maths
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?