16th November 2010, 07:21 PM
jeniferleela

Which subjects should an Electrical Engineer choose for IAS exam? Will electrical engineering and zoology be helpful for me as mains paper?

I am a electrical engineering student doing second year.I decided to write IAS exams.i am confused with the subjects to choose .i thought to take electrical engineering ,zoology as the main papers,Is it helpful for me?

10th May 2011, 07:26 PM
surendergora
Senior Member++++

Default Re: Which subjects should an Electrical Engineer choose for IAS exam? Will electrical engineering and zoology be helpful for me as mains paper?

You are free to choose any two optionals , but these two should not be of engineering background like Maths and physics, chemistry etc.

If you are thinking of taking electrical as one of optionals, make sure that you must be a very good in it as generally it is a low scoring subjects due to huge syllabus.

UPSC optionals:
# Mathematics
# Agriculture
# Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
# Botany
# Chemistry
# Civil Engineering
# Commerce
# Economics
# Electrical Engineering
# Geography
# Geology
# Indian History
# Law
# Mathematics
# Management
# Mechanical Engineering
# Medical Science
# Philosophy
# Physics
# Political Science
# Psychology
# Public Administration
# Sociology
# Statistics
# Zoology
# Anthropology
10th May 2011, 09:08 PM
aditya436
Senior Member++++

Arrow Re: Which subjects should an Electrical Engineer choose for IAS exam? Will electrical engineering and zoology be helpful for me as mains paper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeniferleela View Post
I am a electrical engineering student doing second year.I decided to write IAS exams.i am confused with the subjects to choose .i thought to take electrical engineering ,zoology as the main papers,Is it helpful for me?
First Know one thing that the Civils pattern has been changed now !!! this takes effect from this year only

So there is no tension for you now because In the three stage pattern

CSAT

MAINS

INTERVIEW

you need to select optionals only after your first stage

In the Mains Exam you need to select the optional subjects as per your interest

As your from Electrical background you have a optional subject which is related totally to Electrical Engineering Subject

so you can take this optional subject as your first one for the second one you can take

Public Administration

Psychology

Mathematics

and like

You should select the second optional as per your interest

This should be your attitude towards the optional selection

Regards

~AdityA~
10th May 2011, 09:16 PM
yogalakshmi sekar

Wink Re: Which subjects should an Electrical Engineer choose for IAS exam? Will electrical engineering and zoology be helpful for me as mains paper?

it shows your interest towards electrical engineering and zoology....

everone can perform well,only if they work with the interest..

so,you better choose that itself...

concentrate well and study for atleast two hours per day...

it will give you best result...

self study is very best to crack the competitive exams...

all the best...

regards
yogi
11th May 2011, 05:27 PM
jits
Senior Member++++

Default Re: Which subjects should an Electrical Engineer choose for IAS exam? Will electrical engineering and zoology be helpful for me as mains paper?

The Civil Service exam pattern has been changed from the present year.From this year its a all new pattern.You need not worry about the optional subjects since preliminary exam mainly consists of Subjects like English,History and Civics,Geography.You do not have the optional subjects in preliminary exam but you will only have the optional subjects in your Mains.

If you have gone through the Preliminary exam then you will be called for the Mains.Here you can definitely choose Electrical Engineering and Zoology as your optional subjects.The 2 optional subjects which you choose will be split into 4 papers with 300 marks individually awarded for each paper.Hence,you really need to perform well in the optional subjects to sail past the Main exam.

Just choose the subjects which you are interested and know all the concepts in it.Since totally the optional subjects comprises of 1200 marks hence you need to choose the optional subjects with extreme care.Here am attaching you the notification details about this year's CSAT Examination.Just go through the pattern of it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf notification-civil-service-exam-2011.pdf(346.9 KB, 206 views)
29th May 2011, 10:51 AM
Unregistered

can we choose chemistry or math with electrical engg.
1st June 2011, 12:28 PM
Unregistered

sir i am completed my BE from electronics & telecommunication is better for me to take electrical eng as mains subjct plz guide me
22nd June 2011, 04:50 AM
Unregistered

Will choosing an engg subject as optional lower my chances of getting through ias?
23rd June 2011, 02:38 PM
Unregistered

what are the steps to become a computer engineer ?
2nd July 2011, 11:35 AM
Unregistered

are they enough material available for the optional subject electrical engineering for ias exam
5th July 2011, 10:34 PM
Unregistered

i am student of b.tech 2 yr in electrical engg.which subject are requierd for me in ias exam i am confused that as electrical subject is more easy than arts subject. and what is mean by lowar marks in this branch.plz help me...
13th July 2011, 11:40 AM
Unregistered

i take zoology with public administration
17th September 2011, 02:31 AM
Unregistered

i m in ec 4th year btech. aiming for ias12. I hve heard that engineering subjct in option lowers the posibility of selection. is it true????? n please also suggest a bit easier subject as my second option.
20th September 2011, 06:27 PM
Unregistered

i am going to grade 10 next year so in order for me to become an electrical engineering which subjects must i take
12th October 2011, 12:42 AM
Unregistered

im 4th year student of electrical engineering
17th October 2011, 05:04 PM
Unregistered

WHICH IS THE MAIN SUBJECT FOR BE
23rd December 2011, 01:53 AM
Unregistered

i am seeking forward for giving ics exam. .i am a computer engineer. . plz guide me. .
23rd December 2011, 03:42 PM
Unregistered

i have completed btech in electrical engg but i do not want to take it as optional subject i want to take mathematics along with commerce or statastics can u plz tell which is better in these two and can we take like this. SANTOSH KODUKULA
2nd January 2012, 08:18 PM
sunnyl

you need to select optionals only after your first stage

In the Mains Exam you need to select the optional subjects as per your interest

As your from Electrical background you have a optional subject which is related totally to Electrical Engineering Subject

so you can take this optional subject as your first one for the second one you can take

Public Administration

Psychology

Mathematics

and like

You should select the second optional as per your interest

This should be your attitude towards the optional selection
22nd February 2012, 11:24 PM
Unregistered

Is electrical engineering an scoring subject?If not, which subject should be suitable for me? also suggest me the medium of language for the civil services exam?
11th March 2012, 06:10 PM
Unregistered

can i take zoology and maithili in ias exams? i am good in zoology and doing my graduation from it.maithili is my mother tongue and i am good in it too.are they scoring?
8th June 2012, 01:21 PM
Unregistered

I am an Electrical engineer.But i dont want to take electrical as an optional.i am interested in history.can anyone help me to choose the optional subjects?
30th June 2012, 02:23 PM
Unregistered

i am a graduate in electrical engineering .after completed the course i am totally confused that m.tech or company secretaryship course,which course give more opportunity for me.while heard about cs course ,it is a most chanced and most salaried job,is it true?my graduation in electrical will give any comfortable in cs course?
8th June 2014, 09:24 PM
Unregistered

Can an electrical engineering student chose medical science as his optional subject
3rd January 2015, 11:22 PM
Unregistered

Doesn't electrical engineering for IAS Main exam posses Machines 1 and 2 ? Can we opt Electronics and Telecommunications engineering for IAS main exam ?
11th May 2015, 11:50 PM
ramananda210

subjects should an Electrical Engineer choose for IAS exam
---------------------------------------

--Electrical Engineering
--Civil Engineering
--Medical Science
--Animal Husbandry
--Mathematics
--Psychology
--Public Administration
--Zoology
--Management
--Civil Engineering
--Medical Science
--Anthropology
--Botany
--Electrical Engineering
--Political Science
--Commerce
--Medical Science
--Geography
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?