14th January 2013, 05:46 AM
Jot Angad Singh

What all skills are required to bag a lucrative job after B.Tech? What scope ECE engineers have?

Okay so firstly about my educational qualifications so far. I scored 82 % in 10th standard, then 66 % in 12th standard. I am pursuing my BTech in Electronics and Communication Engineering from a college affiliated to Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak. In my 1st Semester I got two reappears and a percentage of 63%. In Second Semester I passed in all my examinations and Secured 66 %. I am currently giving my 3rd Semester Examination and I will fail in 1 exam. My estimate percentage would be around 60 %. However I have cleared my backlogs from first semester. Now I have many questions.

Firstly, if you get a reappear in your examinations are you entitled to sit in the interview of reputed companies like Infosys, HCL etc.
I have read that you should not have backlog. But does that mean you should never get a backlog or does it mean that there should be no active backlog at the time of interview?

Secondly, what is the minimum criterion to sit in Interviews. I am pretty sure that my aggregate would be above 65% in Btech. Will I be eligible to sit in examinations. If I don't get 70% aggregate, will I miss the chance to sit in interviews of aforesaid mentioned companies?

Thirdly, this is small query but your aggregate Btech score should be over 65% right? Or your should score over 65% in each semester?

Fourthly, Will small status and reputation of my college and university, deeply hinder my chances for getting a job?

Next, do scores really matter in getting a good job? I mean of big companies. I have read at other places that your other skills for example you communication skills, your technical skills, your domain knowledge hold greater value than your marks. In my opinion I can communicate well, I have decided to work hard to enhance my technical skills and also my domain knowledge of electronics. I am also learning C language, and I want to take it to a level where I can design and develop desktop based applications. I would master the 'c' language. In my other skills, I have developed certain Wordpress based websites. I have knowledge about Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and I have keen interest in Internet Marketing. I have also earned some money out of this. Do you think this extra knowledge of SEO and C would help my chances? With a score of say 65% and all these skills, can I bag a lucrative job?

Also I would like to know the prospects for ECE branch engineers after 2015. What all companies hire us? What are the job specifications? How much can I expect with my present knowledge base and marks?

Lastly, I have a keen interest in Marketing and I want to do my post graduation in MBA. But I firstly want to work for about 4-5 years before getting into a B-School. Is this the correct way to go?

I would be highly grateful if I am provided with clear answers. I am not depressed, So no need for motivation, show me the true picture.

Thanks

Related Questions:
  1. Am I eligible for top software companies being a candidate having secured 73% in 10th, 63% in 12th and 60% in BE having 2 years gap in studies?
  2. Skills required by an ECE student to get placed in core companies?
  3. Scope in electronics and communication field after b.tech ECE -- [Most Discussed]
  4. Eligibility criteria to get a job in government side after ECE? What are the skills required?
  5. Chances of getting a Government Job after passing btech ece with 70% and no backlogs?
  6. Can I go for B.Tech after Diploma in Marine engineering? Scope after Marine Diploma?
  7. What are the skills required by an ECE student for campus interviews? Which course provides high salary after completing ECE degree?
  8. Job opportunities in CTS for B.Tech(ECE) fresher? -- [New]
  9. Is there any scope in ECE branch? Companies offering a job for ECE students?
  10. Will there be any scope for Automobile Engineers in India? Which stream in Engineering has more scope among Mechanical, Automobile and ECE?
  11. Which services have better job opportunities in India and worldwide? Job scope for Environmental Engineers?
  12. Which course is having better scope and placements between ECE and Mechanical? Which business I can do after doing job for some years through ECE?
  13. For which government posts are ECE engineers eligible?
  14. How can I prepare to get core side job if completed B.Tech(ECE)?
  15. Courses which are required for a core job? Which are the important subjects for a core job?
  16. Which sectors provides maximum salaries to mechanical engineers?
  17. Which is better option between GATE and CAT to crack?
  18. Which is a better field after doing BSc IT between MBA, MCA and MSc IT?
17th February 2013, 04:27 PM
Jot Angad Singh

Smile Re: What all skills are required to bag a lucrative job after B.Tech? What scope ECE engineers have?

Please Someone Give me an answer to my question
12th December 2015, 10:22 AM
ajayrocks007
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: What all skills are required to bag a lucrative job after B.Tech? What scope ECE engineers have?

First of all, I would like to tell you that there is a rule for no pending backlogs only. If you have any pending backlogs then you will not be considered for interview. Hence, if you have cleared your B.Tech degree with the required percentage of 60% marks then surely you will be eligible for job in leading IT companies.

TCS and Wipro has a 60% criteria but Infosys have a 65% criteria for fresh candidates. There are two types of interviews one is on-campus and other is off-campus and you can appear for any one according to your choice. It will depend on your skills to get the job. Interview will have two stages, technical interview and HR interview. You should be prepared for these stages. You are an ECE graduate means you have to get ready for the IT field before you appear for the interview. If you fail in interview then you can appear for interview only after 6 months in the same IT company. You can surely get job if you have skills because IT companies conduct interview for every candidate who is eligible. Don't worry about your college and be prepared for these two stages.

Being an ECE graduate you have job scope in IT, telecom and instrumentation fields. Salary will be according to your performance in interview and academic record.

Now, for your MBA question, I would like to inform you that there is executive MBA degree offered by most of the top management institutes in India for professionals who have more than 5 years of experience. Hence, if you carry on with your job and look for MBA after 5 years then it will surely be a good option.
12th December 2015, 11:25 AM
SudeepKumarSaha
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: What all skills are required to bag a lucrative job after B.Tech? What scope ECE engineers have?

First of all, it was good to read your query as you have mentioned your doubts and queries clearly which helps us to understand what exactly you want. Coming to your query,

- Firstly, if you get a reappear in your examinations are you entitled to sit in the interview of reputed companies like Infosys, HCL etc.
I have read that you should not have backlog. But does that mean you should never get a backlog or does it mean that there should be no active backlog at the time of interview?

You have heard the right thing. You should not have backlog, but this does not mean that you should never have backlog. It means that when the recruitment drive is conducted, you should not have any active backlogs. It does not point to the history of backlogs. So even if you have history of backlogs, you are eligible for the companies like HCL, Infosys, etc.

- Secondly, what is the minimum criterion to sit in Interviews. I am pretty sure that my aggregate would be above 65% in Btech. Will I be eligible to sit in examinations. If I don't get 70% aggregate, will I miss the chance to sit in interviews of aforesaid mentioned companies?

The minimum criteria is - you should have 60% in your entire career, 10th,12th/diploma and graduation. Most of the companies have this eligibility criteria. However, companies like Infosys raise the percentage bar to 65-68 percentage in on-campus recruitment drive of many colleges. So if you can maintain a percentage above 60%, you will be eligible for most of the companies provided you do not have any active backlogs at that time.

- Thirdly, this is small query but your aggregate Btech score should be over 65% right? Or your should score over 65% in each semester?

Yes, the aggregate score or CGPA should be more than the cutoff. Performance in each semester is not taking into account by most of the companies.

- Will small status and reputation of my college and university, deeply hinder my chances for getting a job?

It may hinder to some extent but it will not be a blockade. There are many consultancies like AMCAT, e-Litmus, Cocubes, etc. through which you can apply in various companies even though there may not be good on-campus drives in your college. You should work hard and if you have the right skill and attitude, you can get lucrative career options.

- Do scores really matter in getting a good job?

Yes, to some extent it matters as it decides the eligibility criteria and might influence your interview as well. However, it is your performance in the written test, selection rounds and interviews which matter the most.

Yes, the extra knowledge apart from the mainstream knowledge will be of great benefit if you can use it well in your interviews with your good communication skill. You need to convince the interviewer that you are good at that field. Apart from learning C, you should start learning some object oriented language like C++ or Java or Python.

ECE engineers have good prospects as they have options in both core as well IT domain. There is ample scope in IT industry if you know the basics of programming well. For lucrative job options you should know programming well and the basics of computer science engineering. Expectation with your current skill and marks can be huge but you need to deliver at the right time and need to improve more for lucrative career option. Since electronics is still developing in our country so there is not huge scope in it especially for students who do not belong to the tier-1 institutes of the country like the IITs, top NITs, ISM, IT-BHU.

Rather than waiting for 4-5 years and then pursuing MBA, you should opt for MBA after 2-3 years of job experience. This will help in getting admission in good MBA institutes.
12th December 2015, 11:33 AM
Aswiniteju
Senior Member+++++

I have gone through your entire query and here is the answer which clears all your doubts. As you have asked one by one, I am also providing answers for each question in detail and I suggest you to go through the below instructions carefully.

>> Answer for 1st Question:
Generally most of the companies say that No Active backlog is entertained which means that candidate must not have any active arrear by the time he/ she attends Interview. So you can clear them by the time you attend interview.

>> Answer for 2nd Question:
The minimum percentage criteria required to be eligible for appearing in top MNC companies Recruitment process is "60% marks" throughout your academics. In some selected cases i.e., for attending Infosys, CTS companies the minimum percentage required is 65% marks. Since you have secured 65% marks or more than that you do not need to worry.

>> Answer for 3rd Question:
Companies clearly mention that "Candidates must have scored aggregate of 65% marks". So you do not need to score 65% marks in each semester so it might be 67% in one semester or 62% in other semester. But make sure you secure aggregate of 65% or more than that by 8th Semester of B.Tech.

>> Answer for 4th Question:
I don't this so. Yes, your less reputation of college does not lower your chances of getting selected. If you are highly equipped with all the skill that required, nothing can obstruct you from getting selected.

After going through the skills that you have given in question, they are quite enough to get job in top Companies. You are saying that you have good communication skills, technical skills, knowledge about programming languages and knowledge about SEO techniques. Besides this, I suggest you to get good command over C++, Oracle, .NET, PHP, Java and other languages, managerial skills to get more chances. Of course yes, there will be good scope for Electronics and Communication Engineers in upcoming years as ECE is a core stream which can have good scope in future too. Some of the top MNC companies viz. TCS, Accenture, Wipro, IBM, Google, Infosys, Dell, HCL, CTS, Infotech, Tech Mahindra, ADP and Deliot recruit candidates in huge number every year. Make sure you have no pending backlogs at the time of selection process, and secure more than 65% marks throughout academics. The Salary for freshers would range from Rs.19,000 to Rs.24,000 per month and gets increased based on the experience. As you are interested in doing job, I suggest you to work in a good company and earn some money and after getting some good year's of experience you can continue your studies in best Business School for pursuing MBA course.

All The Best
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?