2nd March 2018, 01:19 AM
Unregistered

Astronomy or Astrophysics, which is better to pursue in PhD?

Hello, Is Astronomy taught in PhD? if yes then Astronomy is good to study in PhD or should I do Astrophysics. I am studying Astrophysics in B.Sc but it seems like very tough for me. So, I have decided to quit Astrophysics and get admission again in Astronomy in B.Sc. But my aim is to do PhD in any of this course. So, kindly tell me which course is more promising in PhD and has greater value.

Related Questions:
  1. Which is more preferable for doing PhD in astronomy and astrophysics, either B.Sc(physics hons) or B.Sc(physical science)?
  2. Colleges for bachelor degree course in astronomy or astrophysics
  3. Geophysics or Astrophysics, which is better to pursue in PhD? -- [New]
  4. How to study Astrophysics/Astronomy after passing 12th standard with 72.3%? List of colleges offering Astrophysics/Astronomy course in Jalgaon, Maharashtra?
  5. Which are the entrance tests related to Astronomy or Astrophysics? Is there any online Astronomy class?
  6. How can I do Ph.D in both Astrophysics and Nanotechnology? How may I do both in a sequence with Astrophysics first?
  7. Reference books for preparation of IUCAA-TIFR-INAT and JEST for study PhD in Astronomy and Astrophysics?
  8. Can I study M.Sc in Astrophysics if pursue B.Sc in Physics?
  9. Best colleges in India offering MSc in Space Physics?
  10. PhD or Post graduation in Astronomy and Astrophysics is possible after B.Tech?
  11. Chances to become an Astronaut after B.Tech in Electrical and Electronics from IP University Delhi?
  12. Best colleges in India offering BSc in Space Research and Technology? -- [Most Discussed]
  13. Scholarships available for a candidate who has secured admission in PhD(Astronomy) course in UK?
  14. List few space technology courses to study in America?
  15. Eligibility to study B.Sc(Astronomy & Astrophysics) for 12th passed candidate?
  16. Which are the colleges offering Aeronautical Engineering courses on the basis of AIEEE exam?
  17. How to be an astronaut after 12th commerce with Maths?
  18. Eligibility to pursue Astrophysics or Astronomy course in IUCAA or IIA Bangalore at the age of 30? What would be the options available in the research field?
28th March 2018, 12:47 PM
Aswiniteju
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Astronomy or Astrophysics, which is better to pursue in PhD?

Yes, PhD in Astronomy course is offered in several colleges of India. Although this Astronomy field is basically related to Astrophysics subject only. And there is no subject is that tough if you truly work hard towards it and as you are presently pursuing B.Sc in Astrophysics course I suggest you to first concentrate much on the concepts that are covered in Bachelor's Degree. As far as my best knowledge is concerned, Astrophysics is the best stream rather than Astronomy course.

Hence, pursue Master's in Astrophysics after successful completion of B.Sc in Astrophysics and then you are required to appear in Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST) Entrance examination for pursuing Doctoral program. Based on the marks that you have secured in entrance examination, you will be getting seat in top colleges that are offering Astrophysics course. Some of the colleges offering this course are,

<> Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bangalore

<> National Centre for Radio Astrophysics, Pune ..etc.,
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?