9th January 2021, 05:06 PM
Unregistered

Commerce or Science, which is to study in HS to become an IAS Officer?

Hello Sir/Madam, I want to become an IAS Officer. I am studying in 9th standard of Andhra Pradesh Board. My brother is taking Commerce in 11th standard. But I have heard that I have to take Science for this. I don’t understand why? So, I want to know which I study Commerce or Science?

11th January 2021, 10:45 AM
honeyroy
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Commerce or Science, which is to study in HS to become an IAS Officer?

To become IAS Officer you can complete HS with any stream .

Candidate must be graduate from recognized university to be eligible to become IAS.

12th class marks or stream won't affect anything.

Only your performance in UPSC Main exam should be good to secure position.

Final selection of candidate will be done through interview.
11th January 2021, 03:25 PM
ranjan Ayush
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Commerce or Science, which is to study in HS to become an IAS Officer?

To become an I.A.S Officer, you have to appear and qualify in Civil Service examination.

The examination is conducted by UPSC. The eligibility to appear in the examination is that candidate must have passed bachelor degree from a recognised university. The age limit is 21-32 years with relaxation in upper age limit for reserved category.

So, you can pursue any stream in std 12th or bachelor degree to become eligible to appear in the examination.

Note :- Candidates are eligible to select the optional paper for Mains examination other than one in which they have passed bachelor degree.

For more information about the examination visit at www.upsc.gov.in.
11th January 2021, 04:14 PM
Doctor Tom
Senior Member+++++

°°° IAS stands for Indian Administrative Services. Civil services examination is conducted by UPSC every year for selection of candidates to different services like an IAS, IRS, IPS etc.

The academic qualification required to appear for this exam is bachelor's degree. Graduate from all discipline are eligible. All streams are good for this exam. Candidates need to select stream depending upon their interest. The minimum age required to apply for this exam is 21 years.
11th January 2021, 05:02 PM
pearlrana
Senior Member+++++

There is no specific subjects to be chosen in 11th standard for IAS. To be an IAS you should be a graduate at any subject. That includes Engg, Medical, Science, Arts and Commerce graduate. There is nothing to be particularly about any steam in IAS exam.

So, you are eligible to apply for IAS exam after graduation.
11th January 2021, 07:49 PM
Ulna
Banned

IAS stands for Indian administrative service this includes a total of 24 services and you can give 6 attempts
The eligibility criteria to become and IAS officer is
Candidate must be a citizen of India
Candidate must have a bachelor's degree from a recognised University the candidates with professional and technical qualifications are also eligible
The age limit should be minimum of 21 use and maximum of 32 years there is a 5 year relaxation for scheduled caste and scheduled tribe candidates and three years relaxation for the other backward classes and defence service personnel
it is not necessary to take science if you want to become an IAS officer the only eligibility is graduation so even if you take commerce you will be eligible for appearing for the examination the post
11th January 2021, 09:49 PM
taputanya
Senior Member+++++

--- You can choose any stream as per you interest.
IAS stands for Indian Administrative Services.
The minimum educational qualification required to appear in civil services exam is graduation in any discipline from a recognised board.
There is no limitation on discipline of bachelor degree to appear for examination.
You can pursue any stream to appear for examination according to your interest.
But still most of the students choose Arts stream if they aspire for an IAS officer because you have to study less.

--- OFFICIAL WEBSITE---
http://www.upsc.gov.in
12th January 2021, 07:28 PM
avinash1997
Senior Member+++++

To become an IAS (Indian Administrative Service) officer, you are required to qualify the Civil Services examination held by UPSC once every year

Further, the minimum education required for appearing in the Civil Services examination and therefore to be eligible for becoming an IAS officer is a graduation degree in any discipline from a recognized university. Candidates can apply for the same examination while pursuing final year of their graduation degree course too.

As per the above details it is quite clear that there is no compulsion of any subject or stream at any level of academics for becoming an IAS officer and therefore you can opt for any stream as per your interest and strength for your higher secondary degree course and higher studies.

For more details regarding the same examination, you can refer to the link www.upsc.gov.in.
13th January 2021, 11:47 PM
Unregistered

List of colleges that offer MSc in environment science through correspondence mode in India?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?