31st December 2015, 01:05 PM
Unregistered

Why is the interest rate is more for educational loan than other loans?

Why is the interest rate is more for educational loan than other loans? Can someone please give me the information on the same. I just don't understand why only educational loan have so much interest rate when compared with others. Awaiting for the answer.

Related Questions:
  1. Syllabus and Date of Exam Exam for SI Exam in UP? Books to prepare for the Exam? -- [Most Discussed]
  2. How to get an education loan quickly at a low interest rate?
  3. How much time does it take for me to become Company Secretary having cleared CA(IPCC) and CWA(Inter)?
  4. Bank loan for further studies after BA (distance course)? Bank interest rate and procedure of loan?
  5. Is there educational loan given for IAS students without interest?
  6. Recommended books to prepare for IAS Preliminary Exam for General studies?
  7. Date of BSc Nursing exam date(Rajeev Gandhi University of Health Sciences)?
  8. Last year opening and closing rank of college of Technology Pantnagar?
  9. Allahabad Bank did not waived off interest amount as per government announcement? What is the EMI of Initial Amount of 350000, with 11.75% interest rate?
  10. List of Marine Companies Sponsorship for IMU Deck Cadets?
  11. Are the seats increased in BFUHS for MBBS course? Will I get a seat in management quota after scoring 656 rank in PMET?
  12. Previous years question papers for NIPER Ph.D entrance exam?
  13. How may I get admission in engineering in Maharashtra? I've completed 10th and 12th from Singrauli Madhya Pradesh
  14. Is it true that after BSc nursing we can get into MBBS with relaxation of 1 year? Any BSc nursing seats in MBBS entrance exam?
  15. What is rate of interest of Education Loan? On what basis it is applied?
  16. Answer key to paper I code Z of UGC NET mass communication and Journalism
  17. B.Ed. sample papers for jammu university
  18. From when should I start repayment of my Education Loan taken against B.Tech course? Latest Education Loan rate of interest?
31st December 2015, 08:43 PM
SudeepKumarSaha
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Why is the interest rate is more for educational loan than other loans?

The rate of interest is more in case of education loan as compared to other loans. This is because :-

- The interest is accounted as simple interest for the entire study period rather than compound interest as in case of other loans.
- There are many subsidies given by the banks for various reasons in case of education loan which are not available in other types of loan.
21st June 2023, 12:52 AM
Nikhil202k
Banned

Default Re: Why is the interest rate is more for educational loan than other loans?

The interest rates for educational loans are typically higher compared to other loans due to several factors:

Unsecured nature: Most educational loans are unsecured loans, meaning they do not require collateral. Lenders take on a higher risk when providing unsecured loans as there is no asset to recover in case of default. To compensate for this risk, they may charge higher interest rates.

Longer repayment tenure: Educational loans often have longer repayment tenures compared to other loans. The extended repayment period increases the risk for lenders, as economic conditions, job prospects, and financial circumstances may change over time. Higher interest rates help mitigate this risk.

Lack of credit history: Students or individuals pursuing higher education often have limited or no credit history. Lenders consider this as a higher risk factor since there is less information available to assess the borrower's creditworthiness. Higher interest rates help offset this risk.

Subsidies and government programs: In some countries, educational loans may be subsidized by the government or have favorable terms. However, when comparing interest rates, it's important to consider the base rate without any subsidies or special programs. The advertised interest rates may not reflect the true cost of the loan.

Administrative costs: Lenders incur administrative costs in processing and disbursing educational loans, including evaluating applications, verifying documentation, and managing the loan accounts. These costs are factored into the interest rates.
23rd June 2023, 06:15 AM
Nikhil202k
Banned

The interest rates for educational loans are often higher compared to other types of loans due to several factors:

Risk Factors: Educational loans are considered unsecured loans, meaning they are not backed by collateral or assets. Unlike loans for housing or automobiles, where the lender can seize the property in case of default, educational loans have a higher level of risk for the lender. To compensate for this increased risk, lenders often charge higher interest rates.

Long Tenure: Educational loans typically have longer repayment tenures compared to other loans. Since the loan amount is repaid over an extended period, lenders may charge a higher interest rate to account for inflation, administrative costs, and changes in the economic environment.

Lack of Income Proof: Unlike other loans where borrowers are required to provide income proof and demonstrate their ability to repay, educational loans are often granted to students who do not have a regular income or credit history. Lenders may charge higher interest rates to mitigate the perceived risk associated with lending to individuals without a stable income source.

Subsidized Interest Rates: In some countries, the government provides subsidies or low-interest-rate loans for education. In such cases, private lenders may charge higher interest rates to compensate for the potential loss of customers seeking lower-cost government-funded educational loans.

Administrative Costs: Lending institutions incur administrative expenses related to processing loan applications, conducting credit checks, and managing the loan disbursement and repayment processes. These costs are factored into the interest rates to ensure the lender can cover their operational expenses and make a profit.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?