25th May 2015, 11:12 AM
Unregistered

Can I become an Architect without taking science

Which stream should i take to be an architecture ?
rather than science

25th May 2015, 11:37 AM
joyshreenath
Senior Member++

Default Re: Can I become an Architect without taking science

Hi,
If I give you a one line answer, then my answer is no, never. You cannot become architect, unless you take up science stream. Architecture means a stream in engineering technologies. So how can you have a technological stream without science in it. Science is the basic concept of technology. Technology is the application of science. So you have to sit for joint entrance examinations of engineering technologies to make it into any architectural course. In fact under the course structure designed by the government, there is a graduation course for doing architecture only. It is known as B.Arch. But to be a part of this course one has to have a degree in higher secondary and must have a minimum of 60% in the total marks obtained for Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. So you can well understand from this eligibility criteria, that how much having science as a subject in the course curriculum is necessary for getting admitted in architecture.
25th May 2015, 03:00 PM
Anupam_Prasad

Yes you can in India. I am not sure about other countries. The entrance examinations (such as AIEEE and NATA) do not have science questions (more specificaly Chemistry and Physics). Questions are asked from Maths of about the same difficulty level as the B.Tech entrance test paper. Once you are into B.Arch there will be courses on mechanics which wont be difficult to pass. However, having a background in science means you are familiar with mechanics so it gets easier for science students to understand the mechanics related courses faster. There will also be courses on light design and acoustic design for which you dont really need to study science after 10th standard. Therefore, you can get yourself a B.Arch degree even if you did not take up science in 11th and 12th standards. Besides, by the time you graduate with B.Arch degree even science students forget most of the science that they had learnt. Mechanics is all that stays and gives a better understanding of structures. For mechanics alone you need not learn 100 other things about physics and chemistry. Good luck
25th May 2015, 04:29 PM
jagrity7
Senior Member+++++

Sorry to say but you can't become an Architect without taking Science in your 12th class examination.

The candidate who wishes to become an Architect has to pursue B.Arch. course after 12th class.

The educational qualification required to apply for the B.Arch. degree is 12th class with at least 50% marks from a recognized central or state board.

The candidate should select Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as subjects in 12th class to become eligible for the B.Arch. degree.

To get admission in the architectural engineering course,the candidate should appear in the entrance exams like,

AIEEE,

IIT-JEE,

STATE LEVEL ENTRANCE EXAMS

NATA
26th May 2015, 02:15 AM
Anupam_Prasad

As per the Council of Architecture, India which is the ultimate authority in deciding the terms and conditions for getting the license of an Architect in India, the eligibilty criteria requires you to have
1. Min. 50% aggregate in 12th
2. Maths as a compulsary subject.

So even if you are a commerce student you are eligible to sit for B.Arch entrance exams such as AIEEE B.Arch paper and NATA.You can find complete eligibility details from the Council of Architecture, India website.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?