15th November 2010, 04:59 PM
Mr. Amar D. C.

Detail about PhD course?

Respected Sir/ Madam.
I am Mr. Amar D. C. from Nepal. I have completed my master degree in economics. I am very much interested to complete the Ph. D. course. So, please provide me the suggestion and complete information about the scholarship.
Thank you.

19th November 2010, 09:28 PM
waruf

Default Re: Detail about PhD course?

I don't know where you would like to pursue your doctorate. I think you would like to do your doctorate in India. Anyway there are lot of institutions in abroad as well as a lot of government colleges in India. In India you can get good government scholarships in government colleges. I see many of my international friends getting scholarships in my college. You can surely get a doctorate. And the scholarship is also sure for you.

But, the best way of getting scholarships is can be only from this website. You could answer the questions of various users and get good sum for your studies.

Anyway good luck!!!!!1
28th November 2010, 09:16 PM
VEERU_VIRENDR
Senior Member+

HELLO,
there are many universities which offers PhD course in india,like
*JNU
*Delhi university,
*Assam university silchar(Assam)
*Chaudhary charan singh,Haryana agriculture university , Hissar(Haryana)
*Goa university:faculty of science,Taleigao plateuo(Goa)
*Gujarat university:faculty of science,ahmdabad(Gujarat)
*Guru nanak dev university,Amritsar(Pujab)
there are some universities which offers PhD courses according their norms.GRE(graduation record examination)is the exam for post graduates to offer PhD in renowned universities in abroad.
for information on scholarship you can visit-www.indianscholaship.com
www.a2zscholarship.com
9th June 2011, 06:24 PM
Unregistered

i am kiran vitthal raut interested to complete the Ph. D. course. So, please provide me the suggestion and complete information about the scholarship.
26th August 2011, 08:37 PM
Unregistered

I M Chanderbhan Ahirwar i have Done M A (political science )2011 Want to Ph.D in political science Subject Please provide me the information about the subject which i m going to choose Place bhopal (MP)
26th August 2011, 11:45 PM

[PINKI SINGH ]Respected Sir/ Madam.
I am Mis.pinki singh from hardoiin UP. l. I have completed B.ED AND B.COM I am very much interested to complete the Ph. D. course. So, please provide me the suggestion and complete information about the scholarship.
Thank you.
30th August 2011, 06:51 PM
Unregistered

Hello mam ,

there are many universities which offers PhD course in india which university is good & how we get the admision .
21st September 2011, 08:53 PM
Unregistered

i am sandeep my reg no. NO2011429 please information my topic in Ph.D(Gegoraphy) my mob. no 9414490321
3rd January 2012, 11:59 AM
Unregistered

I m pursuing my M.sc in clinical research from guj university, and now want to do phd after my masters. So please suggest me some colleges in ahmedabad and also for scholarship.
17th January 2012, 09:50 AM
Unregistered

sir,i am nagendra i completed my graduation(history,english,hindi) i want know which sub is the best bw sociology and socialwork for post graduation and phd and what requirment for phd pls sugges me
19th January 2012, 03:01 PM
aliya mufti

please suggest universities offering phd.in clinical research in India & abroad with scholarship....thanks
19th January 2012, 08:43 PM
Unregistered

what is the process of ph.d entrance exam 2012?
1st March 2012, 03:34 PM
jaya_060386

Hello,
As I have completed M.Com (L.S. Raheja) and DHRM Course (Welingkars) with first class and planning to do PHD in HR/ Management from Mumbai University (government), so I wanted to know that what is the procedure for applying it and what about the entrance exam when it will be held in 2012 and where to find what is the syllabus for it, is there any way to apply online for Phd and with lesser cost.
Regards,
Jaya Singh
3rd March 2012, 08:05 PM
Unregistered

sir/mam i have completed my MBA, am i eligble for Ph.D suggest me?
6th March 2012, 03:53 PM
jaya_060386

Question Re: Detail about PhD course?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaya_060386 View Post
Hello,
As I have completed M.Com (L.S. Raheja) and DHRM Course (Welingkars) with first class and planning to do PHD in HR/ Management from Mumbai University (government), so I wanted to know that what is the procedure for applying it and what about the entrance exam when it will be held in 2012 and where to find what is the syllabus for it, is there any way to apply online for Phd and with lesser cost.
Regards,
Jaya Singh
please help me
6th March 2012, 04:49 PM
ranjith1438
Senior Member+++++

Hai,
Eligibility for Admission:
In order to apply for the PhD, you must normally have an MTech/ME in any branch of engineering. An MCA degree is considered equivalent to the BTech/BE degree and is not normally sufficient for
admission. Direct Admission: In certain exceptional cases, where the candidate is one of the toppers in an undergraduate BE/BTech program from a reputed university, he/she may be eligible for direct admission into PhD after BE. Such candidates must
have secured 75% in their qualifying examination, and must also have a valid GATE score. Minimally, students in any branch of engineering, or those with MSc in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics or Statistics may also be considered, but you must demonstrate a strong Computer Science grasp (for example, you may have a high GATE score in CS). Some requirements may differ for candidates
under QIP (Quality Improvement Program),
Defence Personnel, SC/ST, and other sponsored
categories. More information is available on the
website of the IITK Senate Post-Graduate
Committee (SPGC). Admission Procedure The application form is available from central admission site, but in case of emergency or other problems, you can also apply with the vita and other details by e-mail or on plain paper. All applications should be sent to the following address: Admissions In-Charge (PhD) Computer Science and Engg. Dept. Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur 208016 (UP) A sponsored applicant is responsible for securing the permission of his employer before applying, or at the very least, by the date of test/interview. No candidate will be considered for admission if the employer's permission is not received by such date, and such applicants are requested to defer their interview/test till the next walk-in date. Note : Women candidates are exempted from payment of examination/test/interview fees for admission.
All the best.
6th March 2012, 04:57 PM
rocky1-3

Ph.D. Program in Detail

Students who complete the Ph.D. program should have a thorough understanding of the principles of economic theory and its applications in various fields, along with an ability to think systematically about, and apply quantitative methods to, economic problems. The program gives equal emphasis to these two goals with formal courses and examinations, seminars, workshops, papers, and the dissertation. Students typically spend most of their first two years in course work, at the end of which they take the general examinations. The next three years are used to prepare their dissertations, although both shorter and longer periods are not uncommon.

Throughout the program, there are formal provisions for students to engage in original research work. During the second year, each student must prepare a research paper to complete the requirement in econometrics. Moreover, in the first two years, term papers are required in some subjects. The Department also offers students the option to satisfy one of the minor field requirements through a program of supervised research. Students are also encouraged to take part in workshops in their fields of primary interest.

After passing the general examinations, students participate actively in the weekly meetings of the workshop and lunch in their field of research. They prepare a third-year paper, which is due on April 15. They continue to work on their dissertations under faculty supervision

Course 14: Economics
Spring 2012
Course 14 Home CI-M Subjects for Undergraduate Majors Evaluations (Certificates Required)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 14.00-14.399 plus UROP | 14.40-14.999 and UROP and Thesis |

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
General Economics and Theory

14.003 Microeconomic Theory and Public Policy

(, )
(Subject meets with 14.03)
Prereq: 14.01
Units: 4-0-8
Lecture: TR11-12.30 (1-190) Recitation: F11 (24-121) or F12 (24-121) or F1 (24-121) +final

Applies microeconomic theory to analysis of public policy. Builds from microeconomic model of consumer behavior; extends to operation of single and multiple markets and analysis of why markets sometimes fail. Empirical examples to evaluate theory, focusing on the casual effects of policy interventions on economic outcomes. Topics include minimum wages and employment, food stamps and consumer welfare, economics of risk and safety regulation, the value of education, and gains from international trade. Graduate students are expected to complete additional assignments.
Fall: D. Autor
Spring: S. Ryan
No textbook information available

14.01 Principles of Microeconomics

(, ) ( )
Prereq: None
Units: 3-0-9
Lecture: MW1 (54-100) or NO LECTURE FOR RECS 07-11 Recitation: F10 (1-135) or F11 (1-135) or F12 (1-135) or F1 (1-135, 1-190) or F2 (1-135) or MWF9 (12-142) or MWF10 (12-142) or MWF11 (12-142) or MWF12 (12-142) or MWF2 (12-142)

Introduces microeconomic concepts and analysis, supply and demand analysis, theories of the firm and individual behavior, competition and monopoly, and welfare economics. Applications to problems of current economic policy.
Fall: J. Gruber
Spring: J. Harris
Textbooks (Spring 2012)

14.02 Principles of Macroeconomics

(, ) ( )
Lecture: MW2 (54-100) or NO LECTURE FOR RECS 03-05 Recitation: F2 (3-442) or F3 (3-442) or MWF10 (1-246) or MWF11 (1-246) or MWF1 (12-142)

Provides an overview of macroeconomic issues: the determination of output, employment, unemployment, interest rates, and inflation. Monetary and fiscal policies are discussed. Important current policy debates such as the sub-prime crisis, social security, the public debt, and international economic issues are critically explored. Introduces basic models of macroeconomics and illustrates principles with the experience of the US and foreign economies.
Fall: R. Gurkaynak
Spring: F. Giavazzi
Textbooks (Spring 2012)

14.03 Microeconomic Theory and Public Policy

(, ) ( )
(Subject meets with 14.003)
Lecture: TR11-12.30 (1-190) Recitation: F11 (24-121) or F12 (24-121) or F1 (24-121) +final

Applies microeconomic theory to analysis of public policy. Builds from microeconomic model of consumer behavior; extends to operation of single and multiple markets and analysis of why markets sometimes fail. Empirical examples to evaluate theory, focusing on the casual effects of policy interventions on economic outcomes. Topics include minimum wages and employment, food stamps and consumer welfare, economics of risk and safety regulation, the value of education, and gains from international trade.
Fall: D. Autor
Spring: S. Ryan

14.04 Intermediate Microeconomic Theory

() ( )
Prereq: 14.01, Calculus II (GIR)

Analysis of consumer and producer decisions including analysis of competitive and monopolistic markets. Price-based partial and general equilibrium analysis. Introduction to game theory as a foundation for the strategic analysis of economic situations. Imperfect competition, dynamic games among firms. Failures of general equilibrium theory and their resolutions: externalities, public goods, incomplete information settings, signaling, screening, insurance, alternative market mechanisms, auctions, design of markets.
J. Toikka

14.05 Intermediate Applied Macroeconomics

() ( )
Prereq: 14.01, 14.02
Lecture: TR10.30-12 (E25-111) Recitation: F10 (2-147) or F11 (2-147) or F2 (E51-061)

Uses the tools of macroeconomics to study various macroeconomic policy problems in depth. The problems range from economic growth in the long run to government finances in the intermediate run and economic stability in the short run. Many economic models used today are surveyed. Requires a 20-page paper on the economics of long-run economic growth.
G. M. Angeletos
Textbooks (Spring 2012)

14.08 Technical Topics in Economics
(New)

(, )
TBA.

Considers technical issues of current research interest in economics.
Consult Department Headquarters

14.09 Reading Seminar in Economics

(, , , )
Prereq: 14.04, 14.06
Units arranged [P/D/F]
TBA.

Reading and discussion of particular topics in economics. Open to undergraduate students by arrangement with individual faculty members. Consult Department Headquarters.
S. Ellison
No textbook information available (IAP 2012); No required or recommended textbooks (Spring 2012)

14.10 Reading Seminar in Economics

(, , , )
Prereq: 14.04, 14.06
Units arranged
TBA.

Reading and discussion of particular topics in economics. Open to undergraduate students by arrangement with individual faculty members. Consult Department Headquarters.
S. Ellison
No textbook information available (IAP 2012); No required or recommended textbooks (Spring 2012)

14.11 Topics in Economics

(, ) ( )
TBA.

Considers issues of current research interest in economics.

14.12 Economic Applications of Game Theory

() ( )
Prereq: 14.01; 14.03, 6.041 or permission of instructor

Analysis of strategic behavior in multi-person economic settings. Introduction to solution concepts, such as rationalizability, backwards induction, Nash equilibrium, subgame-perfect equilibrium, and sequential equilibrium, with a strong emphasis on the assumptions behind these solution concepts. Issues of incomplete information, such as signaling and reputation formation. Applications drawn from microeconomics and political economy.
M. Yildiz

14.121 Microeconomic Theory I

() ; first half of term
Prereq: 14.04, permission of instructor
Units: 3-0-3

Covers consumer and producer theory, markets and competition, and general equilibrium. Studies the tools of comparative statics and their application to price theory. Enrollment limited.
P. Pathak

14.122 Microeconomic Theory II

() ; second half of term
Prereq: 14.121, permission of instructor

Introduction to game theory. Topics include normal form and extensive form games, and games with incomplete information. Enrollment limited.
G. Ellison

14.123 Microeconomic Theory III

()
Prereq: 14.121, 14.122, permission of instructor
Lecture: TR1-2.30 (ENDS MARCH 23) (E52-175) Recitation: F1-2.30 (E51-085)

Models of individual decision-making under certainty and uncertainty. Additional topics in game theory. Enrollment limited.
M. Yildiz
Textbooks (Spring 2012)

14.124 Microeconomic Theory IV

()
Prereq: 14.123, permission of instructor
Lecture: TR1-2.30 (BEGINS APRIL 2) (E52-175) Recitation: F1-2.30 (E51-085) +final

Decision-making under uncertainty, information economics, incentive and contract theory. Enrollment limited.
J. Toikka

14.126 Game Theory

()
Prereq: 14.122
Lecture: MW1-2.30 (E51-372) Recitation: F12 (E51-085)

Rigorous investigation of the evolutionary and epistemic foundations of solution concepts, such as rationalizability and Nash equilibrium. Covers classical topics, such as repeated games, bargaining, and supermodular games as well as new topics such as global games, heterogeneous priors, psychological games, and games without expected utility maximization. Applications provided when available.
M. Yildiz
Textbooks (Spring 2012)

14.129 Advanced Contract Theory

()
Prereq: 14.121, 14.281, or permission of instructor

Recent developments in contract theory. Includes advanced models of moral hazard, adverse selection, mechanism design and incomplete contracts with applications to theory of the firm, organizational design, and financial structure.
Consult R. Townsend

14.13 Economics and Psychology

() ( )
Prereq: 14.03

Introduction to theoretical and empirical literature in the new field of behavioral economics. Examines important and systematic departures from the predictions of the standard model in economics; covers intertemporal tradeoffs, risk preferences, social preferences, and intrinsic motivation; and applies theory to many different areas, such as credit card debt, addiction, portfolio choices, labor supply, and compensation policies of firms. Students review evidence from lab experiments, examine how the results can be integrated into models, and test models using field and lab data.

14.137 Psychology and Economics

()
Lecture: W EVE (4-7 PM) (E51-376)

Examines "psychology appreciation" for economics students. Aims to enhance knowledge and intuition about psychological processes in areas relevant to economics. Increases understanding of psychology as an experimental discipline, with its own distinct rules and style of argument. Topics include self-knowledge, cognitive dissonance, self-deception, emotions, social norms, self-control, learning, mental accounting, memory, individual and group behavior, and some personality and psycho-analytic models. Within each of these topics, we showcase effective and central experiments and discuss their role in the development of psychological theory. Term paper required.
D. Prelec

14.147 Topics in Game Theory

()
Prereq: 14.126

Advanced subject on topics of current research interest.
J. Toikka, M. Yildiz

14.15J Networks

() ( )
(Same subject as 6.207J)
Prereq: 6.041 or 14.30

Highlights common principles that permeate the functioning of diverse technological, economic and social networks. Utilizes three sets of tools for analyzing networks--random graph models, optimization, and game theory--to study informational and learning cascades; economic and financial networks; social influence networks; formation of social groups; communication networks and the Internet; consensus and gossiping; spread and control of epidemics; control and use of energy networks; and biological networks.
D. Acemoglu, M. Dahleh

14.16 Strategy and Information

() ( )
Prereq: 14.12 or permission of instructor

Begins with a rigorous overview of the main equilbrium concepts for non-cooperative games in normal and extensive form, with complete or incomplete information. Defines and explores properties of iterated dominance, rationalizability, Nash equilibrium, subgame perfection, perfect Bayesian equilibrium, and sequential, perfect and proper equilibria. Introduces solution concepts for cooperative games and studies non-cooperative implementations. Other topics include matching and allocation problems, auctions and mechanism design, and reputation. Bargaining and networks are recurring themes.
Consult M. Manea

14.160 Experimental and Behavioral Economics

()
Prereq: 14.122

Introduces techniques of experimental economics and their applications. Emphasizes the relative role of field and lab experiments for the generation of empirical knowledge and the methodology of laboratory experiments. Students design and run their own experiments, testing their chosen hypothesis. Covers the economics of individual economic decisions and social interactions. Discusses experiments on behavioral contract theory, principal-agent theory, labor markets, and asset markets. Considers the extent to which experimental markets approximate the predictions of competitive models; which motivational forces drive cooperation and collective action; how we can best model social preferences; and the systematic behavioral deviations from the homo economicus model.
Consult E. Fehr

14.19 Market Design
(New)

() ( )
Prereq: 14.12 or permission of instructor
Lecture: TR9-10.30 (E51-063) Recitation: F10 (E51-061)

Covers topics in game theory and microeconomic theory beyond those covered in 14.12. Topics may include matching and allocation problems, auctions and mechanism design, incentive and contract theory, networks, non-cooperative and cooperative bargaining, and decision theory.
P. Pathak
Textbooks (Spring 2012)

14.191 Independent Research Paper

(, , , )
Prereq: Permission of instructor
Units: 0-12-0
TBA.

Under supervision of a faculty member approved by Graduate Registration Officer, student writes a substantial, probably publishable research paper. Must be completed by the end of a student's second year to satisfy the departmental minor requirement.
E. Duflo

14.197 Independent Research
(New)

(, , , )
Units arranged [P/D/F]

Under supervision of a faculty member approved by Graduate Registration Officer, student conducts independent research.
E. Duflo

14.198, 14.199 Teaching Introductory Economics

(, )
Units: 2-0-2 [P/D/F]
14.198: TBA.
14.199: TBA.

Required of teaching assistants in introductory economics (14.01 and 14.02), under supervision of the faculty member in charge of the subject.
14.198: J. Gruber, J. Harris
14.199: R. Gurkaynak, F. Giavazzi
14.198: No required or recommended textbooks
14.199: No required or recommended textbooks

Industrial Organization

14.20 Industrial Organization and Competitive Strategy

() ( )

Analyzes the behavior and performance of firms in markets, with a particular focus on strategic interactions. Topics include monopoly power, behavior of firms in oligopoly markets, static and dynamic measurement of market performance, pricing and product choice decisions, advertising, research and development, and theory of the firm. Requires attendance and team participation in a Competitive Strategy Game.
S. Ellison

14.21 Health Economics

() ( )
URL: http://web.mit.edu/14.21j/www/
Lecture: MW10.30-12 (E51-376)

Applies theoretical and empirical tools of economics to problems of health and medical care delivery. Concentrates on selected topics such as decision-making under uncertainty, cost-benefit analysis, health insurance, physician remuneration, government regulation, health care systems of developing countries, and the economics of AIDS.
J. E. Harris

14.26 Economics of Incentives: Theory and Applications

() ( )
Prereq: 14.04
Lecture: MW1-2.30 (E51-361) Recitation: F1 (E51-395)

Rigorous, mostly non-technical introduction to the economic theory of incentives in conjunction with a wide range of applications. These include, among others, the optimal design of sales and CEO compensation schemes; the analysis of venture capital and other forms of financing; and the study of stock companies, co-operatives, and other types of organizations viewed as optimal adaptations to information and incentive problems.
B. Holmstrom
Textbooks (Spring 2012)

14.271 Industrial Organization I

()
Prereq: 14.04
Units: 5-0-7

Covers theoretical and empirical work dealing with the structure, behavior, and performance of firms and markets and core issues in antitrust. Topics include: the organization of the firm, monopoly, price discrimination, oligopoly, and auctions. Theoretical and empirical work are integrated in each area.
G. Ellison

14.272 Industrial Organization II

()
Prereq: 14.271
Lecture: MW10.30-12 (E52-398) Recitation: F9-10.30 (E52-398)

A continuation of 14.271. Topics covered include horizontal mergers and demand estimation, vertical integration and vertical restraints, natural monopoly and its regulation, public enterprise, political economy of regulation, network access pricing, deregulation of telecommunications, electric power, cable television, transportation sectors, and risk and environmental regulation.
S. Ryan

14.273 Advanced Topics in Industrial Organization

()
Prereq: 14.271
Lecture: W2.30-5.30 (E52-232) Recitation: R1 (E52-232)

Studies current research in industrial organization, focusing on specific topics that vary from year to year.
P. Jia, S. Ryan

14.281 Contract Economics

()
Prereq: 14.124

Covers theoretical research on contracts organized around canonical models in static as well as dynamic settings. Emphasis is on canonical models in contracting (agency theory, mechanism design, incomplete contracting) illustrated by major areas of application (e.g. compensation, labor and capital markets, property rights, organizational design, corporate finance).
R. Holden, B. Holmstrom

14.282 Introduction to Organizational Economics

() ; second half of term
Prereq: 14.124

Begins with survey of contract theory for organizational economists, then introduces the main areas of the field, including the boundary of the firm; decision-making, employment, structures and processes in organizations; and organizations other than firms.
R. Gibbons

14.283 Advanced Topics in Organizational Economics I

() ; first half of term
Prereq: 14.282
Units: 2-0-4
Lecture: TR9-12 (E62-550)

Builds on the work done in 14.282 to develop more in-depth analysis of topics in the field.
R. Gibbons

14.284 Advanced Topics in Organizational Economics II

() ; second half of term
Prereq: 14.282
Units: 2-0-4
Lecture: TR9-12 (E62-550)

Builds on the work done in 14.282 to develop more in-depth analysis of topics in the field.
R. Gibbons

14.286 Health Economics Seminar

()
Prereq: 14.04, permission of instructor

Advanced subject in economics of health care sector. Considers selected topics in depth, such as design and financing of health insurance, behavior of nonprofit hospitals, role of competition in the medical care market, determinants of technological change, and effects of government regulations.
Consult J. E. Harris

Statistics and Econometrics

14.30 Introduction to Statistical Method in Economics

()
Prereq: Calculus II (GIR)

Self-contained introduction to probability and statistics with some economic applications. Elements of probability theory, sampling theory, statistical estimation, and hypothesis testing. May not count toward HASS requirement.
P. Jia

14.32 Econometrics

()
Prereq: 14.30
Lecture: MW9-10.30 (E52-175) Recitation: F9 (E51-057) +final

Introduction to econometric models and techniques, simultaneous equations, program evaluation, emphasizing regression. Advanced topics include instrumental variables, panel data methods, measurement error, and limited dependent variable models. Includes problem sets. May not count toward HASS requirement.
A. Mikusheva
Textbooks (Spring 2012)

14.33 Research and Communication in Economics: Topics, Methods, and Implementation

(, )
Prereq: 14.04, 14.05, 14.32
Units: 3-4-5
Lecture: MW10.30-12 (E51-057)

Exposes students to the process of conducting independent research in empirical economics and effectively communicating the results of the research. Emphasizes econometric analysis of an assigned economic question and culminates in each student choosing an original topic, performing appropriate analysis, and delivering oral and written project reports.
Fall: H. Williams
Spring: S. Ellison

14.36 Advanced Econometrics

()
Prereq: 14.30, 14.32

Covers a range of topics including duration models, discrete choice models, differentiated product models, count models and other advanced models that are used in a wide variety of applications in applied microeconomics, financial economics, and business economics. Mastery of one or more techniques taught in class demonstrated through the completion of an econometrics paper.
Consult J. Hausman

14.381 Statistical Method in Economics

()
Prereq: Calculus II (GIR), permission of instructor

Introduction to probability and statistics as background for advanced econometrics and introduction to the linear regression model. Covers elements of probability theory; sampling theory; asymptotic approximations; decision-theory approach to statistical estimation focusing on regression, hypothesis testing; and maximum-likelihood methods. Includes simple and multiple regression, estimation and hypothesis testing. Illustrations from economics and application of these concepts to economic problems. Enrollment limited.
V. Chernozhukov, A. Mikusheva

14.382 Econometrics

()
Prereq: 14.381 or permission of instructor
Lecture: MW2.30-4 (E51-372) Recitation: F2.30-4 (E51-372)

Regression analysis, focusing on departures from the standard Gauss-Markov assumptions, and simultaneous equations. Regression topics include heteroskedasticity, serial correlation, and errors in variables, generalized least squares, nonlinear regression, and limited dependent variable models. Covers identification and estimation of linear and nonlinear simultaneous equations models. Economic applications are discussed. Enrollment limited.
J. Hausman
Textbooks (Spring 2012)

14.384 Time Series Analysis

()
Prereq: 14.382 or permission of instructor

Studies theory and application of time series methods in econometrics, including spectral analysis, estimation with stationary and non-stationary processes, VARs, factor models, unit roots, cointegration, estimation of DSGE models, and Bayesian methods. Enrollment limited.
A. Mikusheva

14.385 Nonlinear Econometric Analysis

()
Prereq: 14.382 or permission of instructor

Studies micro-econometric models, including large sample theory for estimation and hypothesis testing, generalized method of moments, estimation of censored and truncated specifications, quantile regression, structural estimation, nonparametric and semiparametric estimation, panel data, bootstrapping, and simulation methods. Methods illustrated with economic applications. Enrollment limited.
V. Chernozhukov, W. Newey

14.386 New Econometric Methods

()
Prereq: 14.382
Lecture: T EVE (4-6 PM) (E51-372) Recitation: F3 (E51-057)

Focuses on recent developments in econometrics, especially structural estimation. Topics include nonseparable models, models of imperfect competition, auction models, duration models, and nonlinear panel data. Results illustrated with economic applications.
V. Chernozhukov

14.387 Topics in Applied Econometrics

() ; first half of term
Prereq: 14.382
Units: 2-0-4 [P/D/F]

Covers core econometric ideas and widely used empirical modeling strategies. Begins with instrumental variables, concepts, and methods; then moves on to discussion of differences-in-differences and regression discontinuity methods. Concludes with discussion of standard errors, focusing on issues such as clustering and serial correlation.
Consult J. Angrist

14.389 Econometrics Paper

()
Prereq: 14.382 or 14.32
Units: 0-0-3

Paper in econometrics required of all PhD candidates. Paper due at the end of IAP.
J. Hausman

14.391 Workshop in Economic Research

()
Prereq: 14.124, 14.454
Units: 2-0-10 [P/D/F]

14.392 Workshop in Economic Research

()
Prereq: 14.124, 14.454
Units: 2-0-10 [P/D/F]
Recitation: M2.30-4 (E52-244) or M4-5.30 (E62-650) or M EVE (5.30-7 PM) (E51-395) or T2.30-4 (E62-650) or T EVE (4-6 PM) (E52-244) or W2.30-4 (E51-376) or R EVE (4.30-6 PM) (E52-244) or R EVE (4-6 PM) (E51-372)

Develops research ability of students through intensive discussion of dissertation research as it proceeds, individual or group research projects, and critical appraisal of current reported research. Workshops divided into various fields, depending on interest and size.
Consult M. Greenstone
No required or recommended textbooks
20th April 2012, 02:36 PM
Unregistered

hi ,i am ravishankar mishra i have completed my MCA(ignou).
can i enrolled for a phd course..?
So, please provide me the suggestion and complete information about it.
16th March 2013, 11:01 AM
Unregistered

i have completed my MA. in english.. I hv got 60% marks in MA. how many marks is needes to get admission in Ph.D. ??
16th March 2013, 11:05 AM
Unregistered

i have completed my MA. in english with 63% marks...i want to know how many marks is needed to get admission in Ph.D.??
27th June 2013, 07:45 PM
Unregistered

Sir,
I am a Gvt.Teacher.(MA(HINDI) & B.Ed.Complete.age 40 y. main PHD Cource karna Cahata hu. So, Please details!!!
8th February 2014, 02:30 PM
Unregistered

I have done m.a in education from NOU Patna in 2014.I want to phd in education.How can i phd in education & what is its fee?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?