5th February 2011, 03:25 PM
Ramkrushna m sunchu

Difference between Subject GRE and General GRE?

Respected sir,
Just i want to know the there are two types of gre exam
1.General exam
2.Subject exam
I want to do M.S. in usa so which one i want to be selected.

6th February 2011, 05:18 AM
vike
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Difference between Subject GRE and General GRE?

Dear Friend

The General GRE contains question from Mathematics and English (1600 marks)
The subject GRE contains question from a particular subject (990 marks)only and these subjects are
* Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology
* Biology
* Chemistry
* Computer Science
* Literature in English
* Mathematics
* Physics
* Psychology
If you have such an educational background which makes you able to do masters in
any one of the above field you can take a subject GRE.

The GRE(General GRE) is for MS program in almost all fields.

You can take either of the tests or you can take both of them.

The subject GRE is conducted in the month of October, November and April.
However, in India it is conducted only in November.
The General GRE is conducted over a much longer span of time. You can register anytime for General GRE.
You should visit GRE website to register.

http://www.ets.org/gre/subject/about/

http://www.ets.org/gre
6th February 2011, 05:36 AM
akki89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramkrushna m sunchu View Post
Respected sir,
Just i want to know the there are two types of gre exam
1.General exam
2.Subject exam
I want to do M.S. in usa so which one i want to be selected.
Dear Friend

The subject GRE is taken in a specified field rather than common
English and Mathematics test in General GRE.
The subjects in which you can appear for Subject GRE are as follows:

1. Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology
2. Biology
3. Chemistry
4. Computer Science
5. Literature in English
6. Mathematics
7. Physics
8. Psychology

As such there is no hard and fast eligibility criteria that who can take GRE or
at what stage of education one should take GRE.
But, as the test is basically taken for admission to MS programs so you are supposed
to have a graduation degree.
Further it is not necessary that your graduation should be in that subject only, with
which you are going to appear subject GRE.
You just should have your prior studies in such stream so that you can go for a master
degree in the field for which you are taking subject GRE.
e.g. If you are doing engineering in some stream but you want to take Physics GRE
you can surely go for it but you can't go for a Biology GRE.

There are some universities that require both exam scores but most of the universities
require only one score. It depends on the college you are aiming for getting admission.
Visit: the GRE website for more information.

http://www.ets.org/gre

Best wishes...
6th February 2011, 10:03 AM
deep_4
Senior Member+++++

Post Re: Difference between Subject GRE and General GRE?

Score of GRE General is required by most universities if you are applying for Graduate School. But ISB i.e indian School Of business needs GMat Score.

GRE Subject is usually required or highly recommended by schools. Gre subject like if you are applying to Biology Department you will usually Take the Exam in Biology & If you are applying to Physics Department GRE Physics will be required. These are Some of the subjects Economics, Engineering, History, Mathematics, Physics, etc..

Pattern Of these Examinations:-
GRE General consists of three sections
Quantitative,
Analytical and Verbal.
The maximum score in each section is 800.

GRE Subject :-The difficulty of this test depends on the subject you choose and on your personal level of knowledge.
If a guy chooses Physics and he is having Vast Knowledge in This field then he can score more than Others.
If you score above 800 Then it is good, above 900 are excellent. Most universities will list average scores for admitted students and these numbers are generally in the range 600-750.

All the best
6th February 2011, 10:24 AM
benz

Dear friend

General GRE is a test for admission to MS programs of different universities world wide.IT is an online test and contains two sections

SECTION 1- Mathematics - 800 marls
SECTION 2- English - 800 marks

Total = 1600 marks

Based on your GRE score out of 1600 and your credentials you will get admission in universities.

For further details you may go through the official website that is

http://www.ets.org/gre/general/about

Subject GRE is of 990 marks and can be given in following eight disciplines-

* Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology
* Biology
* Chemistry
* Computer Science
* Literature in English
* Mathematics
* Physics
* Psychology

This gives you a chance to prove your scientific skills.For more details you may visit

Thank you
6th February 2011, 11:37 AM
JAMESS
Senior Member+++++

GRE is the Graduate record examination. this examination is conducted to take admission in various institution of united state and also in other some english taught country. the examination paper mainly consist from verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, analytical writing and critical thinking skills. In India this examination is computer based and is conducted in some selected center.

in GRE examination two types of examination is conducted.
1. General GRE examination
2. Subject GRE examination.

General GRE is the GRE examination in which students who want to master degree in abroad from any stream may appear. this paper is mainly consist of english language, Reasoning, verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, analytical writing and critical thinking skills. the examination measure the thinking capability and knowledge in the english language.

beside the General GRE examination there are one more subject GRE examination. there are eight subject in GRE to test the knowledge in the subject area. these subjects are
Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Literature in English, Mathematics, Physics, and Psychology.

if you want to do MS in one of the any subject from the above then you have to appear in Subject GRE otherwise you ahve to appear in general GRE examination.

for more information on GRE and to register for GRE examination visit the website http://www.ets.org/gre/

best wishes.
6th February 2011, 12:04 PM
rahul k
Senior Member+++++

Difference between Subject GRE and General GRE ?

The GRE general test measures verbal Reasoning, Quantitative reasoning, and Critical Thinking and Analytical Writing Skills. So, The GRE General Test measures verbal Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning, Critical thinking, and Analytical Writing Skills that are not related to any specific field of Study.

But, The GRE Subject tests Measure Undergraduate Achievement in a Specific Area Such as Mathematics or Physics And GRE Subject Tests Measure Undergraduate Achievement in Eight Specific fields of Study and can help Forecast a Candidate Potential for Success in Graduate School.

General GRE Consists Of These Sections -

Analytical Writing - Measures critical thinking and analytical writing skills, specifically the test taker's ability to articulate complex ideas clearly and effectively.

Verbal Reasoning - Measures reading comprehension skills and verbal and analogical reasoning skills, focusing on the test taker's ability to analyze and evaluate written material.

Quantitative Reasoning - Measures problem-solving ability, focusing on basic concepts of arithmetic, algebra, geometry and data analysis.

But The GRE Subject Tests can help you Stand out from other Applicants by emphasizing Your knowledge and Skill Level in a Specific Area Consist Of -

These disciplines-

Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology

Biology

Chemistry

Computer Science

Literature in English

Mathematics

Physics

Psychology.
6th February 2011, 12:13 PM
Mrs_Praveen_Gola
Senior Member+++++

The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is a group of standardized, multiple-choice admissions tests intended for applicants to Graduate School.
The GRE General Test is a proven tool for assessing ability and predicting performance.General Gre is the GRE examination in which students can get their post graduate degree in abroad whatever stream it will be.The paper consists of-
Analytical (15 questions)
Quantitative (23 questions)
Verbal (22 questions)
The GRE revised General Test is coming in August 2011.
Subject GRE tests are conducted by Education testing service (ETS) to help graduate school admission committees and fellowship sponsors to assess the qualifications of applicants in specific fields of study.
Subject GRE tests are subject specific, timed, multiple choice question tests and are conducted in Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Biology, Bio chemistry, Computer Science, Psychology and English Literature.
6th February 2011, 03:06 PM
diego
Banned

Dear friend GRE is a general ability test which measures your aptitude in fields like
Verbal Reasoning ,Quantitative Ability,Analytical writing and critical Assessment.
While subject GRE offer you the choice to show Your Aptitude/Knowledge in specific fields.Show what you know about a specific subject and graduate schools will take notice Thus they help you stand out compared to other Applicants.
Subject tests are generally required by Universities for admissions in P.Hd. courses.
and by some universities for masters programs.
They can also be used to supplement your acads.. sometimes like a tool to correct your poor grades.
Here are the eight subjects in which subject GRE can be taken::
You need to check the requirement of the university to which you intend to apply.
1. Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology
2. Biology
3. Chemistry
4. Computer Science
5. Literature in English
6. Mathematics
7. Physics
8. Psychology
For masters courses generally GRE suffices and no need to take subject GRE(please check on your Univ. to assure.)
4th June 2011, 10:55 PM
BEST CAREER
Member+

GRE exam is a standard exam conducted for admission in various foreign universities in post graduate courses .
Its pattern is going to be changed from august 2011 and that is called as general GRE revised test .

anyone who want to prepare for the GRE exam he /she must start theiir prepartion only after the pattern is known in august 2011.
19th June 2011, 06:29 PM
Unregistered

i am doing btech in ece which gre subject should i choose
6th July 2011, 04:59 PM
Unregistered

i am doing b.tech in computer science ..should i take both general and subject test???if yes which subject should i choose
20th September 2011, 12:05 PM
Unregistered

I have a Masters in Computer Application degree and have 8 years of working experience. I want to study Computer Science from abroad. Should I got for General GRE or GRE subject test for Computer Science?
10th December 2011, 09:49 PM
tariqlko01

Subject GRE tests are conducted by ETS and are meant to, as per ETS, "to help graduate school admission committees and fellowship sponsors assess the qualifications of applicants in specific fields of study”.
Subject GRE tests are subject specific, timed, multiple choice question tests and are conducted in Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Biology, Bio chemistry, Computer Science, Psychology and English Literature.

If you are planning to seek admission in these subjects, it is strongly recommended that you appear in the respective subject gre test.

GOOD LUCK.
25th February 2012, 10:02 PM
Unregistered

i am doing bsc in compsc which is a 3 year degree course...i want to go 4 ms-phd from most probably Singapore...so wat shud i do?? subject or general gre??
9th May 2012, 08:05 PM
Unregistered

what is the difference between gre general and gre international?
25th May 2015, 01:23 PM
Unregistered

I have completed my btech which test should I give a general or subjective
4th July 2015, 07:12 PM
Unregistered

I want to do ms in us.so,I need help, what exam is better(I.e,gre general or gre subject test).i completed my b.pharm
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?