4th September 2013, 08:22 PM
Unregistered

How to pursue psychiatry as a career

i want to study psychiatry in the future as psychology is my strongest subject i am in 12th medical with psychology and can anyone please tell me the procedures

30th April 2014, 10:50 AM
BHAWANI SHINES

Default Re: How to pursue psychiatry as a career

hello,

Psychiatry is a branch of medical science which deals with the cause and treatment of mental diseases.
The primary objective of psychiatry is to understand the human mind for diagnosing and treating emotional, behavioral and mental disorders found in a patient.

eligibility criteria

Students aspiring to become psychiatrists are required to join a specialized course after completion of their undergraduate course in medicine (M.B.B.S).
Students can either pursue Doctor of Medicine (M.D) in psychiatry (three years)
diploma in psychiatry which is a two years course.

Duration -
The Doctorate (MD) course in psychiatry is of three years' duration.
The person doing MD has to write a thesis on a particular topic under the guidance of a supervisor. The DPM is of two years' duration.
Thesis does not have to be written in DPM.

The average salary package offered initially to a psychiatrist is Rs.15, 000 –Rs.20, 000 per month

The increasing amount of competition and pressure in daily life is increasing the demand for psychiatrists in India
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?