16th June 2012, 09:42 PM
Unregistered

How should I prepare for GATE? I am final year student of Chemical Engineering Ahmedabad, Gujarat

I am final year student of Chemical Engg at Ahmadabad ,Gujarat. I want to know that do you have any online exam method for the gate student. I am ready to pay online but I can't come to Indore.Can you suggest me any thing else related to these topic.My email Id id [email protected]

Related Questions:
  1. Am I eligible for admission in chemical engineering in LD college of engineering Ahmedabad? I have scored 100 marks in JEE and 58% in Gujarat
  2. What is the scope of job in industries in Gujarat? What is the salary package? I am studying chemical engineering final year from Gujarat Technological University
  3. How should I prepare for GATE? I am a final year electrical engineering student
  4. Which is the BEST time to prepare GATE: Final year or Prefinal year? -- [Most Discussed]
  5. How should I prepare for GATE? I am a B.Tech chemical engineering student
  6. How to prepare for GATE Exam being a candidate of pursuing final year of Instrumentation Engineering?
  7. Can a chemical engineering student write PSU exam? From where to buy the form? Which exams to write other than GATE?
  8. M.Tech after Chemical Engineering without GATE exam?
  9. How can i prepare for TET? I have passed PTC in Gujarat Ahmedabad
  10. Can I prepare for GATE exam or for campus placements? -- [New]
  11. Companies in Ahmedabad offering job at core side for B.E. in Electrical Engineering student?
  12. How to take admission in M.Tech in Chemical Engineering while in final year Biotech Engineering? Should I give GATE in Biotechnology?
  13. How can I join Air Force being a candidate pursuing final year of B.Tech in Chemical Engineering?
  14. Which are the universities offeirng MS providing scholarship? I am a final year chemical engineering student
  15. How should I prepare for GATE in short time?
  16. How to do a job in Gulf Countries if I am a final year chemical engineering student
  17. Last year cutoff percentage of medical colleges in Ahmadabad and Gujarat?
  18. How should I prepare for GATE exam? I am a final year student
22nd August 2012, 05:37 PM
imira
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: How should I prepare for GATE? I am final year student of Chemical Engineering Ahmedabad, Gujarat

GATE test always have intense competition for seats in post graduate courses. The duration of GATE 2013 is 3 hours. It covers 65 questions. Prepare well for general aptitude as it help to maximize the score. Be thorough in engineering mathematics as it has a weightage of 15 %. Practising previous year’s questions is the best way to sharpen your skill. You can download sample question papers from various websites.
22nd August 2012, 07:14 PM
sherleytwain
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: How should I prepare for GATE? I am final year student of Chemical Engineering Ahmedabad, Gujarat

Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is the entrance exam for candidates who wish to apply for post graduation course in Engineering. The GATE entrance exam is jointly conducted on te annual basis by the IITs and IIS in India.

There is no limits on number of attempts for GATE exam. However your gate score remains valid for only two years therefore mae sure to take admission within that period unless you are planning to appear for the exam again. The basic requirement for appearing in GATE entrance exam is B.Tech degree. Candidates who have completed M.Sc and MCA are also eligible to appear in GATE exam and apply for M.Tech course.

Coming to your questions, there is an option to appear in GATE exam both online and offline. However online mode does not mean that you can give this exam on the comfort of your home. You will still have to come to online examination center to give the exam. Therefore you must remember that there is no way for you to give exam from your home.

As far as traveling to Indore is concerned, I am not sure who suggested you that but since you are in Ahmedabad, there is no reason for you to travel Indore to give GATE entrance exam.

This is because, there is facility to give GATE entrance exam in Ahmedabad, both through online or offline mode. Apart from Ahmedabad there are other cities in Gujarat where you can give the GATE entrance exam. These cities are:

For Online Exam:

Ahmedabad

Rajkot

Surat

Vadodara

For Offline Mode:

Ahmedabad

Mahesana

Rajkot

Surat

Vadodara

As you can see there is no point for you to travel all the way to Indore when there are cities in Gujarat where GATE entrance exam is conducted. What you need to do is select two cities that are most convenient for you to give GATE Entrance exam. This selection is made when applying for the GATE exam online.

Please remember that application for the GATE 2013 will have to submit via online mode. Another thing to remember not to choose both online and offline mode for examination. You can only appear once in a year for the GATE exam. If you submitted multiple applications, you would be disqualified.

The submission of admission form for the GATE entrance exam will be allowed between 1 to 30 September 2012. While would be allowed to change the cities till 20 November 2012

The GATE 2013 exam would take place on 20 January 2013 (Online Examination) and 10 February 2013 (Offline Examination).
22nd August 2012, 08:46 PM
incredibleshub

Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all India examination that primarily tests the comprehensive understanding of various undergraduate subjects in Engineering and Technology. GATE is conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science and seven IITs (IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, IIT Guwahati, IIT Kanpur, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras and IIT Roorkee) on behalf of the National Coordination Board – GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India. The GATE score of a candidate reflects the relative performance level of a candidate. The score is used for admissions to various post graduates programms (eg. M.E., M.Tech, direct Ph.D.) in Indian higher education institutes with financial assistance provided by MHRD and other Government agencies. The score may also be used by Public sector units for employment screening purposes.
SYLLABUS FOR CHEMICAL ENGINEERING (CH)
Engineering Mathematics

Linear Algebra: Matrix algebra, Systems of linear equations, Eigen values and eigenvectors.

Calculus: Functions of single variable, Limit, continuity and differentiability, Mean value theorems, Evaluation of definite and
improper integrals, Partial derivatives, Total derivative, Maxima and minima, Gradient, Divergence and Curl, Vector dentities,
Directional derivatives, Line, Surface and Volume integrals, Stokes, Gauss and Green's theorems.

Differential equations: First order equations (linear and nonlinear), Higher order linear differential equations with constant
coefficients, Cauchy's and Euler's equations, Initial and boundary value problems, Laplace transforms, Solutions of one dimensional
heat and wave equations and Laplace equation.
Complex variables: Analytic functions, Cauchy's integral theorem, Taylor and Laurent series, Residue theorem.

Probability and Statistics: Definitions of probability and sampling theorems, Conditional probability, Mean, median, mode and
standard deviation, Random variables, Poisson, Normal and Binomial distributions.

Numerical Methods: Numerical solutions of linear and non-linear algebraic equations Integration by trapezoidal and Simpson's rule,
single and multi-step methods for differential equations.

Chemical Engineering
Process Calculations and Thermodynamics: Laws of conservation of mass and energy; use of tie components; recycle, bypass
and purge calculations; degree of freedom analysis. First and Second laws of thermodynamics. First law application to close and
open systems. Second law and Entropy Thermodynamic properties of pure substances: equation of state and departure function,
properties of mixtures: partial molar properties, fugacity, excess properties and activity coefficients; phase equilibria: predicting VLE
of systems; chemical reaction equilibria.

Fluid Mechanics and Mechanical Operations: Fluid statics, Newtonian and non-Newtonian fluids, Bernoulli equation, Macroscopic
friction factors, energy balance, dimensional analysis, shell balances, flow through pipeline systems, flow meters, pumps and
compressors, packed and fluidized beds, elementary boundary layer theory, size reduction and size separation; free and hindered
settling; centrifuge and cyclones; thickening and classification, filtration, mixing and agitation; conveying of solids.

Heat Transfer: Conduction, convection and radiation, heat transfer coefficients, steady and unsteady heat conduction, boiling,
condensation and evaporation; types of heat exchangers and evaporators and their design.

Mass Transfer: Fick's laws, molecular diffusion in fluids, mass transfer coefficients, film, penetration and surface renewal
theories; momentum, heat and mass transfer analogies; stagewise and continuous contacting and stage efficiencies; HTU & NTU
concepts design and operation of equipment for distillation, absorption, leaching, liquid-liquid extraction, drying, humidification,
dehumidification and adsorption.

Chemical Reaction Engineering: Theories of reaction rates; kinetics of homogeneous reactions, interpretation of kinetic data,
single and multiple reactions in ideal reactors, non-ideal reactors; residence time distribution, single parameter model; non-
isothermal reactors; kinetics of heterogeneous catalytic reactions; diffusion effects in catalysis.

Instrumentation and Process Control: Measurement of process variables; sensors, transducers and their dynamics, transfer
functions and dynamic responses of simple systems, process reaction curve, controller modes (P, PI, and PID); control valves;
analysis of closed loop systems including stability, frequency response and controller tuning, cascade, feed forward control.

Plant Design and Economics: Process design and sizing of chemical engineering equipment such as compressors, heat
exchangers, multistage contactors; principles of process economics and cost estimation including total annualized cost, cost
indexes, rate of return, payback period, discounted cash flow, optimization in design.

Chemical Technology: Inorganic chemical industries; sulfuric acid, NaOH, fertilizers (Ammonia, Urea, SSP and TSP); natural
products industries (Pulp and Paper, Sugar, Oil, and Fats); petroleum refining and petrochemicals; polymerization industries;
polyethylene, polypropylene, PVC and polyester synthetic fibers.

GATE Eligibility 2013-14

The following categories of candidates are eligible to appear in GATE:
  • Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/Technology/ Architecture (4 years after 10+2) and those who are in the final year of such programmes.
  • Master's degree holders in any branch of Science/Mathematics/ Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent and those who are in the final year of such programmes..
  • Candidates in the second or higher year of the Four-year Integrated Master's degree programme (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering/Technology
  • Candidates in the fourth or higher year of Five-year Integrated Master’s degree programme or Dual Degree programme in Engineering/Technology.
  • Candidates with qualifications obtained through examinations conducted by professional societies recognized by UPSC/AICTE (e.g. AMIE by Institute of Engineers (India); AMICE by Institute of Civil Engineers (India)) as equivalent to B.E./B.Tech. Those who have completed section A or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible.
  • Pre-final year students are not eligible to write GATE 2013-14.
  • DIPLOMA HOLDERS IN ENGINEERING ARE NOT ELIGIBLE.

GATE 2013-14 Examination Pattern:

Pattern of Question Papers : Total 65 Questions (ALL Objective Type) Total Marks : 100 Each question has ONLY one correct answer. Answer sheet: OMR (ONLY Black Ink Ball Point Pen is allowed to darken the appropriate bubble)
GATE 2012-13 would contain questions of three different types in engineering papers: :
  1. Multiple choice questions carrying 1 or 2 marks each.
  2. Common data questions, where two successive questions use the same set of input data.
  3. Linked answer questions, where the answer to the first question of the pair is required in order to answer its successor.
Engineering Mathematics will carry 15 % of the total marks, the General Aptitude section will carry 15 % of the total marks and the remaining 70 % of the total marks is technical in nature.
Engineering Mathematics Syllabus for Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering & Mechanical Engineering is same and same question would be asked in the examination of gate 2013.
Marking scheme: Negative marking of 1/3rd for One marks question and Negative marking of 2/3rd for Two marks question. Unattempted question: No Marks
IES-2013 Important Dates (Tentative):

IES-2013 examination expected schedule 2nd week of June 2013.

Exact date will be available after official release of IES-2013 notification.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?