15th July 2012, 01:36 PM
Unregistered

How to start the preparation for GATE exam? I am doing B.Tech Mechanical 3rd year

sir,i am doing my btech mechanical 3rd year,i want to start preparation for gate exam from now onwards ,i would like to know the topic wise marks weightage and pattern of the exam.so please send me the required details.thanking u sir urs murali.

22nd July 2012, 01:38 PM
JAMESS
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: How to start the preparation for GATE exam? I am doing B.Tech Mechanical 3rd year

In GATE examination question comes from three part.
1. Technical(From your Branch of engineering)-almost 60marks
2. Mathematics(Generally from first year and second year mathematics syllabus)= almost 25 marks
3. Aptitude(English and other aptitude)-15 marks

If you want to start preparation for GATE examination from now onwards in your 3rd year of engineering then you should start your preparation from mathematics part. Generally mathematics part is little bit easy then technical part and also it carries good weight-age. Generally cut off marks for GATE examination in mechanical engineering stands near about 25 marks out of hundred as per previous few year so from mathematics and aptitude easily you can secure cut off marks.

Revise all the mathematics syllabus what you have already done in first year and second year as per the GATE examination syllabus. Try to be very much well prepared and be confident that you will solve all the mathematics question of 25 marks. When you are confident about mathematics then start preparation for Aptitude part. As you have to appear in different job campusing in fourth year so you must be prepared for aptitude. So you have to be prepare for aptitude not only for GATE examination but also for your job after 4th year.

At last you must be prepared for technical subject. Technical part carries the most weightage. So you must take care about this. In technical subject first revise the subject which you like most from your branch of engineering. After that go for other subject which you may not like that much. Up to third year of your engineering whatever subject you have studied relates to your branch you must be well prepared on that to secure good score in GATE examination.

Generally in GATE examination question come from very basic knowledge on engineering. But as the syllabus is very broad so it becomes difficult to answer of a simple question what you have studied in second year and your are in the examination in your third year or 4th year of engineering. So when you are studying your engineering clear your basic knowledge in the subject. Remember the basic part of the subject and remember in a way that you will never forget that. If you are interested for GATE examination after taking admission in engineering then from the first day of engineering college you should start your preparation.

GATE examination score card is valid for two years. So if you fail to do good score in third year then again appear in GATE examination in 4th year of engineering with more good preparation. Surely you will secure very good score in GATE.

With GATE score you may take admission in M.Tech in a good institution or yu may go for job. Now a days many PSUs are giving criterion that candidates must have GATE score to join in their organization. Even private companies also prefer candidates if you have good GATE score in your resume.

Best wishes for GATE examination.
22nd July 2012, 03:48 PM
padmasree253

Thumbs up Re: How to start the preparation for GATE exam? I am doing B.Tech Mechanical 3rd year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
sir,i am doing my btech mechanical 3rd year,i want to start preparation for gate exam from now onwards ,i would like to know the topic wise marks weightage and pattern of the exam.so please send me the required details.thanking u sir urs murali.
HI FRIEND,

TIPS FOR the preparation for GATE exam

[SIZE=5][SIZE=5]Always follow [/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=5][SIZE=5]standard books for GATE[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=5][SIZE=5]. Try to cover complete syllabus. If not possible expertise in what ever portion of syllabus you practice.

Try preparing notes after reading every chapter/topic. This may initially take some time but will help you while revising before paper.

While reading any chapter/topic do ask your self following questions "What", "How", and "Why" and see improvement
Best way to prepare is to follow cycle Learn, Test, Analyze, Improve, Learn, Test, Analyze, Improve ……

Do remember that GATE is completely objective question based test. Most of time solving objective questions is tricky. Learn
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][SIZE=5][SIZE=5]tips to solve GATE objective questions[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=5][SIZE=5] from GATE TEACHERS

Don’t worry if your percentage in university exams is low as GATE admissions do not consider them. Just maintain minimum percentage required by many colleges including IIT’s.

Group study is one of the best ways of preparation. Divide sections/topics between you and your partner and have a brief session on topic from your friend before you actually start topic. This will save your time and efforts and will improve your and your partner’s understanding on the topic.
Normally coaching GATE is not required but if you are not able to concentrate much then this is a good option.

[SIZE=4][SIZE=4]Best Books for GATE Mechanical
[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=4][SIZE=4]
Enginnering Thermodynamics: PK Nag
IC Engine: ML Mathur and RP Sharma
Gas Turbine and Propulsive Systems: PR Khajuria & SP Dubey
Fluid Mechanics: Modi & Seth, RK Bansal
Compressible Flow: SM Yahya
Heat and Mass Transfer: JP Hollman, RC Sachdeva
Refrigeration and Air Conditioning: CP Arora, Domkundwar
Fluid Machinery: Jagdish Lal, RK Bansal
Theory of Machines: RS Khurmi, Malik & Ghosh
Mechanical Vibration: Grover
Machine Design: Shigley, VB Bhandari
Material Science: WD Callister, IP Singh
Production Engineering: Kalpkjian Schmid, Amitabh Ghosh & AK Malik
Industrial Engineering: O P Khanna, Buffa & Sarin
Operations Research: Kanti Swarup
Strength of Materials: Gere & Timoshenko, BC unamia, Sadhu Singh

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]ALL THE BEST...

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
22nd July 2012, 05:35 PM
Shaenma
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: How to start the preparation for GATE exam? I am doing B.Tech Mechanical 3rd year

Quote:
GATE or the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is conducted by the seven IIT's and Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.

By giving this exam you can pursue master's program in engineering. It generally tries to assess the potentiality of undergraduate students. This exam tries to measure your capibilities, whether you are prepared to opt for higher education or not.

In 2013 the GATE exam will be organized IIT Bombay.

Since GATE tries to test your basic knowledge therefore it is very important for you to know the basics and fundamental things of every subject.

So simply mugging of formulas wont do. Questions are basically conceptual. So until and unless you get to the root of all the chapters you wont be able to approach a question from all angles. This is a very important point which needs to be remembered always.

To crack GATE you need dedicated practice and study for a few months. Therefore whenever you start your preparation start practicing the solved papers of previous years to know more about the areas of importance.

While giving exam create a serious ambience and try to stick to the time as much as possible to understand your current standing. This will help you to evaluate your performance to a great deal.

Generally for selection GATE score is the determining factor here. But some of the IIT's and NIT's at times take a separate written exam.

In that case GATE might get a 70% importance and the written test the rest 30%. For example a similar procedure is applied by the IIT Hyderabad.

Since you are in the third year i think this is the right time to start things so that you get much time at hand to prepare for it.

Suggesting some areas of specialization:

>>manufacturing
>>industrial engieering
>>aerospace
>>energy systems
>>design

For your exam you can refer to some of the books i have mentioned below. They are very popular among students and i think you will find them helpful. For more help on this it is advisable to talk to someone who has given the exam in the recent past. They will be able to guide you through this too.

GATE Reference Books:

Mechanical Engineering for GATE: A Refresher
by The Gate Academy
Publisher: Cengage Learning India

GATE 2013: Mechanical Engineering
by Vikas Slariya
Publisher: Tata Mcgraw Hill Education Pvt. Ltd.

GATE 2013: Mechanical Engineering
by G K Publications
Publisher: G.k. Publishers

GATE Tutor Mechanical Engineering
by Dinesh Nath Goswami
Publisher: Arihant Publications

Along with the above mentioned books you can also refer to the previous year papers that i have attached for you. Hope you do well.

All the best
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GATE ME Solved Question Paper 2009.PDF(193.2 KB, 197 views)
File Type: pdf GATE ME Solved Question Paper 2010.PDF(317.1 KB, 180 views)
File Type: pdf GATE ME Solved Question Paper 2011-1.PDF(561.0 KB, 419 views)
25th July 2012, 08:28 PM
savan kumar chaitanya

2. Mathematics(Generally from first year and second year mathematics syllabus)= almost 25 marks

If you want to start preparation for GATE examination from now onwards in your 3rd year of engineering then you should start your preparation from mathematics part. Generally mathematics part is little bit easy then technical part and also it carries good weight-age. Generally cut off marks for GATE examination in mechanical engineering stands near about 25 marks out of hundred as per previous few year so from mathematics and aptitude easily you can secure cut off marks.

Revise all the mathematics syllabus what you have already done in first year and second year as per the GATE examination syllabus. Try to be very much well prepared and be confident that you will solve all the mathematics question of 25 marks. When you are confident about mathematics then start preparation for Aptitude part. As you have to appear in different job campusing in fourth year so you must be prepared for aptitude. So you have to be prepare for aptitude not only for GATE examination but also for your job after 4th year.

At last you must be prepared for technical subject. Technical part carries the most weightage. So you must take care about this. In technical subject first revise the subject which you like most from your branch of engineering. After that go for other subject which you may not like that much. Up to third year of your engineering whatever subject you have studied relates to your branch you must be well prepared on that to secure good score in GATE examination.

Generally in GATE examination question come from very basic knowledge on engineering. But as the syllabus is very broad so it becomes difficult to answer of a simple question what you have studied in second year and your are in the examination in your third year or 4th year of engineering. So when you are studying your engineering clear your basic knowledge in the subject. Remember the basic part of the subject and remember in a way that you will never forget that. If you are interested for GATE examination after taking admission in engineering then from the first day of engineering college you should start your preparation.

GATE examination score card is valid for two years. So if you fail to do good score in third year then again appear in GATE examination in 4th year of engineering with more good preparation. Surely you will secure very good score in GATE.

With GATE score you may take admission in M.Tech in a good institution or yu may go for job. Now a days many PSUs are giving criterion that candidates must have GATE score to join in their organization. Even private companies also prefer candidates if you have good GATE score in your resume.

26th July 2012, 10:09 PM
Unregistered

hello sir, i m now pursuing my 4th btech,cse. next i want to do mtech sir plz suggest me with what subjects i will start my preparation?????????????????????
27th July 2012, 03:12 AM
nkrjn17

Hii

Procedure for preparing for GATE examination with Proper schedule : If you want to prepare for GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) then you have to make proper routine for covering syllabus.

In this examination paper will be different for different branch candidates.If you are completed engineering degree from private college then you have option to improve or do something different from others.

So,that you have to start preparation from MADE EASY institute which is best for preparation of GATE examination.Mainly this examination will conducted by IISC and seven zones of IIT's.

According to my experience three to fours months are sufficient .Try to give more efforts in this examination.

List of best books for preparation of GATE examination (Mechanical) are following as :

1) Manufacturing Engineering - Milkans P. Groover

2) Material Science - R.K Rajput

3) Strength of Material - Pytel

4) Dynamics of Machine - S.S Rattan and R.S Khurmi

5) GATE papers - G.K Publication

6) Machine Design - R.S Khurmi

In this examination practice of concept and previous year examination paper have more importance,so please study from this books and join coaching institutes for preparation of GATE examination.

If you want to crack this examination then more hard work and preparation is required.Make schedule and give more times for practice and revision .Mainly this examination will be conducted for those candidates who completed B.Tech/B.E degree course in any engineering field.

Try to grab strong topics and concentrate on more selected topics instead of new topics.

Thanks,,
12th September 2012, 10:27 PM
Unregistered

sir i want to prepare for gate. now i m in the 5th semester in ece branch............ plz guide me wht should i have to do for that?
9th October 2012, 07:59 PM

You dnot have to worry.At first the one should have a clear notion about the syllabus,then one should select out the topic that is of maximum importance for the exam.Keep urself updated.Always check the recent syllabus & paper pattern.I have also visited one website www.thegateacademy.com.This site is very helpfull you can take help from that site.
14th November 2012, 03:16 PM
Unregistered

how many time we can give GATE exam?
7th December 2012, 08:53 PM
Unregistered

I m student of b-tech 3rd year,of applied electronics nd instumentation.how should i prepare for gate
14th January 2013, 02:42 PM
Unregistered

How to start the preparation for GATE exam? I am doing B.Tech EC 3rd year.WHAT ARE THE BOOKS I SHOULD CONCERN??????
21st January 2013, 04:34 PM
Unregistered

sir,i am 4th year........i have only 20 days for gate......my prepretion was average....how shold i study now?
21st January 2013, 04:59 PM
aakash arya

to prepare for GATE EXAM i would suggest you not to join any coaching institute particularly.. i just appeared for exam and i can tell you that you can crack it with self study for about 2-3 months with good concentration... to be more secured just join test series of any coaching institute like
GATE FORUM
IES ACADEMY..
they are the best institutes for this..
hope you will crack it soon..
21st January 2013, 05:57 PM
vikash kumar prajapati
Senior Member+++

Quote:
You should start preparation of Gate Exam as per its Syllabus.
Syllabus details are as Follows :-

-->>Engineering Mathematics :-
  1. Differential equations.
  2. Complex Variables.
  3. Probability ans statistics.
  4. Numerical methods.
-->>Applied Mechanics and Design :-
  1. Engineering mechanics.
  2. Strength of materials.
  3. Theory of mechanics.
  4. Vibrations.
  5. Designs.
-->>Fluid mechanics and Thermal sciences :-
  1. Fluid mechanics.
  2. Heat Transfer.
  3. Thermodynamics.
  4. Applications.
-->>Manufacturing and Industrial Engineering :-
  1. Metal.
  2. Forming.
  3. Machining and Machine tool operations.
  4. Metro-logy and Inspection.
  5. Computer Integrated Manufacturing.
  6. Production planning and control.
  7. Inventory control.
  8. Operation research.
Exam Pattern :-

>>Total number of questions will be 65.
>>Total duration of exam will be 3 hours.
>>Negative Marking will be 1/3 for Each Wrong Answer.

Information on Weight-age of Marks :-

>>Question No 1 to 25 - One Marks for Each Questions.
>>Question No 26 to 55 - Two Marks for Each Questions.
>>Question No 56 to 60 - One Marks for Each Questions.
>>Question No 61 to 65 - Two Marks for Each Questions.
21st January 2013, 06:59 PM
sushildhaker

You have to solve previous 20 years GATE papers so that you will get idea about paper pattern and types of question.You will know the important topics which are covered in these papers.you can download paper at free of cost from -

www.mechanicalengworld.blogspot.com

Go to ebooks section and download.

Some suggested books for GATE are-

Engineering mathematics by BS GREWAL

Engineering mechanics by Pytel

Fluid mechanics and hydraulics machines by RK BANSAL

Engineering thermodynamics by PK NAG

Manufacturing technology by PN RAO

SOM by RK RAJPUT..

GATE 2013 by RK Jain.
21st January 2013, 07:27 PM
aman1257

Thumbs up Re: How to start the preparation for GATE exam? I am doing B.Tech Mechanical 3rd year

HI

5th February 2013, 03:39 PM
Unregistered

how to start preparation for gate exam?I have done msc mathematics.tell me the books with authors name.
27th March 2014, 05:32 PM
Unregistered

sir how to prepare for gate ?i'm doing 2nd year electronics and communication engineering student .i want to know how to learn for gate for ece.please give me how they will allot marks for each session.
26th July 2014, 01:40 PM
Unregistered

i am final year student i have left only 5 months for gate exam,is there any possible to get good score from gate ?
9th October 2015, 03:56 PM
Unregistered

i am pursuing my btech in ECE and currently in 3rd year.i would like to know how to start my preparations for GATE from now?which subjects to begin with?more detail answer please..
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?