7th September 2010, 08:21 PM
mohit1

IES applicable for only four branches - Mechanical, Electrical, ECE, Civil? What about Computer science?

mohit:
i am computer science student am i eligible for ies , as it is applicable for only four branches namely mechanical,electrical ,electronics and communication and civil engeenering

7th September 2010, 08:52 PM
mini rani
Senior Member++

Default Re: IES applicable for only four branches - Mechanical, Electrical, ECE, Civil? What about Computer science?

HI!

The minimum educational qualification required for admission to the IES examination is that a candidate must have—

(a) obtained a degree in Engineering from a University incorporated by an Act of the Central or State Legislature in India or other Educational Institutions established by an Act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as Universities under Section 3 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956; or

(b) passed Section A and B of the Institution Examinations of the Institution of Engineers (India); or

(c) obtained a degree/diploma in Engineering from such foreign University/College/Institution and under such conditions as may be recognised by the Government for the purpose from time to time, or

(d) passed Graduate Membership Examination of the Institute of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (India); or

(e) passed Associate Membership Examination Parts II and III/Sections A and B of the Aeronautical Society of India; or

(f) passed Graduate Membership Examination of the Institution of Electronics and Radio Engineers, London held after November, 1959.

So, you are eligible for appearing in IES exam.
7th September 2010, 09:03 PM
chaitu667

Default Re: IES applicable for only four branches - Mechanical, Electrical, ECE, Civil? What about Computer science?

Hello bro!

No it cannot be applicable for CSE. The main focus is for the Mechanical, Electrical, Civil and Electronics students.

You can find more information on the below link
"http://www.iwinacademy.com/Competiti...igibility.aspx"

Dont worry I heard that some more branches are going to be a part of IES and hope CSE will be one of them.

Good luck!
7th September 2010, 10:06 PM
poplu13
Senior Member+

No IES jobs are not for computer science students...Its basically for students in the core line...but still if you want you can try for these disciplines and give a try to your luck !!
7th September 2010, 10:07 PM
imira
Senior Member+++++

You can definitely write the exam, but may have to apply for job streams in electronics. IES doesnt have exam as say for computer science stream as most of the jobs in the government sector belong to the basic engineering degrees of civil, mechanical, electrical and electronics. However there will be few opening for CS students too in electronic job stream.
7th September 2010, 11:06 PM
robart
Senior Member+

dear friend,

NO, you are not eligible for IES exam.
up till now UPSC has not included computer science and engineering subject for IES exam.

but they are thinking on this issue.it might happen that after some years computer science and engineering subject will be included in IES exam.

you can prepare for civil services exam which is also conducted by UPSC.but you have to select two subjects other than computer science and engineering subject.because your subjects is not in the list of subjects prescribed by the UPSC.

good luck.
8th September 2010, 01:04 AM
Pathfinder
Senior Member++++

Yes you are definately eligible for IES. Since you are from CS branch you will need to chose the subjects from Electronics and Telecomm and Electrical. So you can answer the exam.

But it will be tough to clear the subjects in which you dont have any basics. But anyway what there in giving it a try?
8th September 2010, 01:19 AM
Sushant Roy
Senior Member++++

hi friend,

Sorry my friend, you are not eligible for any of the IES examination schemes. IES exam is conducted to fill vacancies only in these four departments:
Category I—Civil Engineering.
Category II—Mechanical Engineering.
Category III—Electrical Engineering.
Category IV—Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering

You are only eligible for it if there is any vacancies in these field. So please dont rely on previous posts since they were only copied and pasted and afterthat mentioned a wrong statement to confuse you.
You are eligible for IAS exam. You can choose a relative subject(computer science) in that. It is true that you will not be an AEn but you will be at an administrative post which is equally good.
8th September 2010, 09:02 AM
JAMESS
Senior Member+++++

computer science student are not eligible for IES. it is basically for the core engineering. but you should not worry for this. try to prove your talent in other field where CSE can eligible. best of luck.
8th September 2010, 01:58 PM
kool
Senior Member++

dear friend,
You are absolutely right that only four department are included in IES.
which are:
ME,EE,ECE &Civil engineering.

As CSE is not included in IES & you are student of CSE, so you need not to be worried about it you can appear in IES but in ECE department.
You have to follow the syllabus of ECE & this is the only way you can appear in IES.
You should take command over ECE papers & also well prepared for this exam.

good luck.
8th September 2010, 02:57 PM
meeria

Dear friend

yeah you can eligibility for IES................it not matter which stream have in B.tech label

because eligibility criteria is bellow:

(I) Nationality:

A candidate must be either:

(a) a citizen of India, or

(b) a subject of Nepal, or

(c) a subject of Bhutan, or

Age limit:
A candidate for this examination must have attained the age of 21 years and must not have attained the age of 30 years on the 1st August, of the current year

Educational Qualifications:

Candidate should be engineering graduate. However, candidates studying in last semester of engineering can also appear in entrance test but they are required to produce the proof of passing engineering degree.
For some selected posts of engineering services, candidates who are holding MSc degree in wireless communications, electronics, radio physics & radio engineering.

IES Exam Selection Procedure:

Entrance test consists of two parts :

Written Exam: there will be 5 papers in written test of 200 marks each as follows:

Paper 1: General Ability Test (General Studies and General English), this will be objective type test & mandatory for each applicant.

Paper 2 & 3: Paper 2 & 3 will be objective type test of 200 marks each based on core engineering subjects (candidate core branch of engineering degree.) The subject comes under these papers are civil engineering / mechanical engg. / electrical engg. / electronics & telecommunication engg.

Paper 4 & 5: paper 4 and 5 will be subjective tests of 200 marks each on core engineering subjects engineering / mechanical engg. / electrical engg. / electronics & telecommunication engg.

Personality Interview: candidates qualified in written test will be called for personal interview where their personality will be judged, the personality interview will be of 200 marks.

for more information about IES entrance exam please visit UPSC website www.upsc.gov.in.

have a good day
8th September 2010, 06:50 PM
Unregistered

what is ies &its age limit
19th September 2010, 02:08 PM
Unregistered

sir,
how many times can we write IES
wat will be the average of appearing candidates
22nd September 2010, 08:04 PM
sanjusabu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit1 View Post
mohit:
i am computer science student am i eligible for ies , as it is applicable for only four branches namely mechanical,electrical ,electronics and communication and civil engeenering

Sorry !! You are not eligible for IES as eligibility criteria for IES is the following :-

IES Exam Eligibility Criteria:-
1) Age Limit:- 21-30 years on the first day of august of the year of examination.
2) Educational Qualifications:-
Applicable for the engineering graduates in Mechanical/Electrical/Civil/Electronics & Communication who have already completed or who are in last year. but last year students are required to produce the proof of passing engineering degree.
23rd September 2010, 09:13 PM
mohit brh

you can appear in exam by selecting any branch or subject of them . there are 4 branch so choose branch in which you have a interest and subject you have already read and you have better knowledge in subject .
24th September 2010, 12:14 PM
maddusajj
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
sir,
how many times can we write IES
wat will be the average of appearing candidates
hi,
the number of attempts is four for an general candidate and for an sc/st candidate its 7.
the age limit is 30 years fo general candidate and relaxation of 5 years for an sc/st candidate
28th September 2010, 11:04 PM
Unregistered

Is there any age relaxation for defence personnel?
29th September 2010, 02:50 PM
teeks
Senior Member+

sorry you can not aplly for ies only 4 branches can apply as
mechanical,electrical ,electronics and communication and civil engeenering
24th October 2010, 06:20 AM
rchauhan294
Senior Member+

sorry but IES is not available for computer science student. it is available only for the branches u mentioned. hard luck
31st October 2010, 10:12 PM
solution
Senior Member++++

hello dear

see, IES applicable for all branch of engineering.

IES is not applicable for only four branches - Mechanical, Electrical, ECE, Civi also other branches.

but the problem is that there have no syllabus given Computer science engg is in IES.

all the best.....
29th December 2010, 03:27 PM
Unregistered

dear friend,
You are absolutely right that only four department are included in IES.
which are:
ME,EE,ECE &Civil engineering.

As CSE is not included in IES & you are student of CSE, so you need not to be worried about it you can appear in IES but in ECE department.
You have to follow the syllabus of ECE & this is the only way you can appear in IES.
You should take command over ECE papers & also well prepared for this exam.

good luck.
1st January 2011, 08:55 PM
Unregistered

you can write IES IFS IAS . you need to choose subjects from the list.Any modern papers are not available (E.G,Computer,IT,Genetics,Microbiology,Bio informatics,Robotics,Aeronautics ).Its matter of difficulty for UPSC to arrange all of the subjects in the world.Complexities will also increase.Although time to time they are getting up to date subject.So many CS IT or other branches students cleared engineering service forest service as well as IAS with completely different paper.
Dont worry better try for IAS,IFS are better job in comparison with IES.
30th January 2011, 07:24 PM
Unregistered

Hello i m a ELECTRONICS N INSTRUMENTATION ENGINEERING student...Am I eligible for ECE in IES exam????????
31st January 2011, 06:31 PM
Unregistered

hi i have done b.tech from electronics & instrumentation branche can i eligible for ies
31st January 2011, 06:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hello i m a ELECTRONICS N INSTRUMENTATION ENGINEERING student...Am I eligible for ECE in IES exam????????
pls tell me truly
15th February 2011, 11:16 PM
bikenindia

Quote:
mohit:
Hi,

Yes you are right, IES exams are conducted for four courses only
cicil
mechanical
electrical
electronics and telecommunication

So , I think Computer students are not eligible to write IES exam.
I am sorry to say this. Even if you are eligible also, you have to write in these four courses only.

Thanks....
30th May 2011, 10:49 PM
Unregistered

what are the difference between electronics and communication engineering and electronics and telecommunication
30th May 2011, 10:51 PM
Unregistered

what are the difference between communication engineering and telecommunication engineering of electronics branch.
15th July 2011, 06:06 PM
Unregistered

hey.. i have electrical and electronics and i am confused whether to go for electronics and telecmmunication or electrical!!!! can u guys help me??? i dont want to take a defence job... so how do the two options compare if we remove the defence jobs???? plss reply fast!!! thanx in advance!!!!
15th July 2011, 11:40 PM
Unregistered

IS ELECTRONICS & INSTRUMENTATION ENGINEERING STUDENT ELIGIBLE FOR IES EXAMS?
18th August 2011, 11:53 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by imira View Post
You can definitely write the exam, but may have to apply for job streams in electronics. IES doesnt have exam as say for computer science stream as most of the jobs in the government sector belong to the basic engineering degrees of civil, mechanical, electrical and electronics. However there will be few opening for CS students too in electronic job stream.

why cse students are not eleigible for IES exam?
11th October 2011, 10:37 AM
Unregistered

which branch is better electrical or electronics ?in which branch vacancies for I.E.S is more
11th October 2011, 10:40 AM
Unregistered

which branch is batter for I.E.S branch electronics or electrical
30th October 2011, 10:40 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
yes ece is eligible in IES ..........................
9th November 2011, 03:20 PM
Unregistered

i am metelagrical branch kay iam applical for ies
21st November 2011, 03:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
mohit:
Definitely u can appear in ies,you can switch the branch
21st November 2011, 07:52 PM
Snehamay ganguly
Senior Member+++++

dear friend,
Eligibility for IES exam:-

1.Candidate must have complete the graduation in engineering field.

2.Candidate have to write the exam in the syllabus of any of these following streams like- Electronics/Electrical/Mechanical/Civil.

3.Candidate must be a citizen of India.

4.Candidates age should be in between 21-30 years.
For SC/ST the upper age relaxation is 5 years and for OBC the upper age relaxation is 3 years.

As you are from computer science then you can apply for the exam , but you have to write the exam in the syllabus of any of those above mentioned streams..

So, go for it..

All the best.
21st November 2011, 09:41 PM
ashok880
Senior Member++++

Yes only four branches in Engineering course is eligible for Indian Engineering Service exam.Computer Science Engineering and other remaining course students are not eligible for Indian Engineering Service.
Indian Engineering Service exam is conducted by upsc every year once.This exam is conducted to intake qualified engineers for Government sector in different departments.

Eligibility criteria for Indian Engineering Service exam:
Education qualification:
Candidate should have minimum graduation degree in any one course in engineering below mentioned to eligible for exam
Mechanical Engineering
Civil Engineering
Electrical Engineering
Electronic and Communication Engineering
Age limit:
Age should be between 21 to 30 years.

Indian Engineering Service exam notification for this year:
Issue of application form from 25th Feb 2012 to 24th March 2012.
Exam will held on 15th June 2012.

For more details,then click here
22nd November 2011, 12:16 AM
brijesh2970

Quote:
mohit:
Dear Friend,
Sorry to say but Computer Science & engineering Brance is not mentioned for ies exam so CSE branch student are not capable for IES. It is only for four branches as you say.

Thank You!
26th November 2011, 11:45 PM
ranjeet250490
Senior Member++++

Hi

You are not eligible for the IES examination as IES is conducted to recruit candidates in these four departments:

Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering

Mechanical Engineering.

Electrical Engineering.

Civil Engineering

As in the government sector, these are the most worked on areas and so IES majorly recruits these engineers.

You may apply as there is no restriction in applying but you have to choose Electronics as your subject, and so you would certainly find it difficult to find a rank or merit in that exam.

Instead you apply in fields of your core subject and you would flourish much more in that.

All the best

Regards
#RJ#
31st January 2012, 03:58 PM
drurv

You are not eligible for IES exam.
up till now UPSC has not included computer science and engineering subject for IES exam.
But they are thinking on this issue.it might happen that after some years computer science and engineering subject will be included in IES exam.
you can prepare for civil services exam which is also conducted by UPSC.but you have to select two subjects other than computer science and engineering subject.because your subjects is not in the list of subjects prescribed by the UPSC.
31st January 2012, 09:42 PM
GUNDA DIVYA

Quote:
mohit:
hi,

Yes you are not eligible for that better to go for other choice......

Sorry to say but you have to go for alternative.......

better you go for any software job.....

All the best.......
7th February 2012, 11:49 PM
vikasjha39
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
mohit:
HI,
I am sorry to say that you are not eligible for I.E.S exam..

All the candidate who pass the engineering in any one of the following branch are eligible for I.E.S exam:-

1.Civil Engineering
2.Electrical Engineering
3.Mechanical engineering.
4.Electronics and Communication Engineering.

GOOD LUCK!
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?