12th September 2011, 11:25 PM
Nithi Vela

Minimum eligibility criteria to appear for GATE exam? Which books to be referred and how to prepare for it?

i am a 1 year civil student .. i wish to apply for the gate exam.. but i doesnt have any proper guidance.. so i will some of u can help me.. wat is the minimum eiligibility to appear for it.. what r the reference books.. and hw to prepare for it.. plz gv me a proper guidance..

2nd October 2011, 03:53 AM
melwynjensen
Senior Member+++++

Thumbs up Re: Minimum eligibility criteria to appear for GATE exam? Which books to be referred and how to prepare for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithi Vela View Post
i am a 1 year civil student .. i wish to apply for the gate exam.. but i doesnt have any proper guidance.. so i will some of u can help me.. wat is the minimum eiligibility to appear for it.. what r the reference books.. and hw to prepare for it.. plz gv me a proper guidance..

TIPS TO REFER FOR GATE - CIVIL EXAM

The minimum eligibility criteria to give GATE exam is just to have a bachelors degree in hand... which in case you are already doing B.Tech Civil Engineering... So you can give the GATE exam by end of your final year...

-> Some of the tips to prepare for GATE - Civil exam is as follows...

-> KNOW THE PATTERN OF THE EXAM : It is very important for preparing to any exam to know the pattern of the exam and prepare accordingly....

-> I have attached some of the previous year model papers of GATE - Civil exam in this post for your reference... kindly check it over.. just refer the papers to know the pattern of the exam...

-> REFER GOOD BOOKS FOR PREPARATION : There are many books available in the market which helps you to prepare for the exam...

-> Some of the recommended books are as follows....

GATE 2012 Civil Engineering
ISBN: 818355024X

GATE Civil Engineering
ISBN: 8183487742

Gate Papers Civil Engg. Solved Papers (Topic Wise)
ISBN: 8183554466

GATE 2012 Civil Engineering
ISBN: 9381069066

Popular Master Guide Gate Civil Engineering
ISBN: 8178121336

-> PREPARE A SCHEDULE AND FOLLOW DAILY : As you are now in the first year it's the right time to start for GATE preparation... just try to balance your academic subjects and GATE preparation well by preparing a schedule and following it daily.. in this way you can spend some time for your academic subjects and as well as to GATE preparation...

-> To know more about GATE entrance exam CLICK HERE!!!

Quote:
"I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."
Attached Files
File Type: zip GATE - Civil.zip(1.79 MB, 39 views)
File Type: pdf GATE 2012 eligibility.pdf(15.7 KB, 101 views)
2nd October 2011, 06:40 AM
ashok880
Senior Member++++

Default Re: Minimum eligibility criteria to appear for GATE exam? Which books to be referred and how to prepare for it?

Gate entrance exam is conducted by Indian Institute of Technology every year once.Most probably this exam will held in the month of jan/Feb every year.

Important dates for year GATE-2012:
Exam is going to held on 29th Jan 2012.
Last date to apply is 17th Oct 2011.

Eligibility criteria for GATE-2012:
Candidate should have completed the B.Tech/Architecture course with any stream
or
Final year candidate in B.Tech course with any stream are also eligible

Validity of Gate Score:

2 years

Tips for Gate exam:
I have been attached previous year paper,so that it will give some idea about the exam pattern and as well gives which topic to be concrete more.
Please spend lot of time on the topic which question are asked frequently,that you may expect that type of question this year too.

List of Book for GATE-Civil Engineering:

1. Engineering Mechanics - Shames
2. Mechanics for Engineers- B Johnson
3. Engineering Mechanics - Mchean
4. Limit State Design - Ram Chandra
5. Surveying - Punmia
6. Strength of Material - V. N. Vazaram
7. Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering - A Singh and K R Arora
8. Strength and Meterials -UC. Jindal
9. Introduction to Mechanics of Solids
10. Basic and applied Fluid Mechanics-Garde
11. Strength of material - Gere and Timoshenko
12. Concrete Technology - M.S. Shetty
13. R.C.C. (WSM) - Shyal and Goyal
14.R.C.C. (LSM) - A.K. Jain
15. Steel Structure - L.S. Negi
16. Soil Mechanics - K.R. Arora
17. Fluid Mechanics - Modi & Seth
18.Theory of Structure (Vol - II) - Vazirani and Ratwani
19.Irrigation Engineering - S.K. Garg
20. Prestress Concrete - N. Krishna Rajee
21.Engineering Hydrology - K. Subramanya
Attached Files
File Type: pdf gate10civileng.pdf(253.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: pdf gatecivil09.pdf(90.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: pdf GATEcivileng05.pdf(557.3 KB, 68 views)
File Type: pdf GATEcivileng06.pdf(560.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: pdf GATEcivileng07.pdf(492.6 KB, 71 views)
File Type: pdf GATEcivileng08.pdf(499.7 KB, 73 views)
2nd October 2011, 09:40 AM
Aninkanti

Default Re: Minimum eligibility criteria to appear for GATE exam? Which books to be referred and how to prepare for it?

There are various types of GATE exam but in which field you want to go at first your minimum eligibility required Graduation from any recognize University or Board.

Following are the better choice of books for GATE exam:-

1.i)GATE 2012 Civil Engineering
ISBN: 818355024X

ii)GATE 2012 Civil Engineering
ISBN: 9381069066

2.GATE Civil Engineering
ISBN: 8183487742

3.Popular Master Guide Gate Civil Engineering
ISBN: 8178121336

4.Gate Papers Civil Engg. Solved Papers (Topic Wise)
ISBN: 8183554466

All the best!
2nd October 2011, 09:47 AM
BISWARUPYOGI
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Dear friend,

The eligibility criteria for GATE EXAM:-

(a) Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/Technology or its equivalent.

(b) Bachelor’s degree holders in Science/Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Science/Electronics/ followed by qualifications obtained through an examination conducted by professional societies recognized by UPSC/AICTE.

(c) Bachelor’s degree holders in Architecture/Design (for M Des program only)

(d) Master’s degree holders in Physics with Electronics/Instrumentation (for M Tech programs).

Best books for GATE exam is only your study books .

If you have good depth in your college books then you have good chance for clicking the GATE exam.

All the best.
2nd October 2011, 12:15 PM
jevirsinh

Hello friend.

GATE stands for Graduation Aptitude Test for Engineering.

-it is conducted every year for taking admission in M.TECH.

- you can apply in final year.

- GATE score only valid for 1 year.

- There is no limit in how many years to complete engineering.

- there is no cut off in percentage to apply for the gate exam

- there is no age limit for applying for gate exam .

- though gate exam you get admission in IIT AND NIT COLLEGES AND SEVERAL OTHER COLLEGES .

- to take admission in IIT OR NIT COLLEGES you need to score above 99 percentile .

- to clear gate exam you should have good knowledge of your subjects .

- join a gate forum for good preparation .

From 2012 pre-final year student can not apply for the GATE EXAM ,only final year student can apply for it.

All the best..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GATE 2012 eligibility.pdf(15.7 KB, 82 views)
File Type: doc GATE BOOK.doc(69.0 KB, 69 views)
2nd October 2011, 12:21 PM
Balamurali.boddeti

hi friend,
GATE is graduate aptitude test in engineerig.
The minimum eligibility criteria to appear for gate is you should be a final year student of b.tech or be
it consists of 65 questions of 100 marks.
negative marks are there in gate.
you said you are a first year student so do not tense but concentrate now onwards and try to get more grip on subject.

for coaching ace is the best one i had experienced.
i appreciate you for your planning from 1st year onwards.

all the best
2nd October 2011, 12:57 PM
K.Bala Kishore

Hi,
only 4th year b-tech student is eligible for GATE entrance exam.
hyderabad ACE academy is the best institute for preparation of GATE.
If you prefer self study,GATE by G.K.Publications is the best book to prepare.
your plan for GATE from 1st year is very appreciable.

All the best
2nd October 2011, 01:04 PM
rchauhan294
Senior Member+

Thumbs up Re: Minimum eligibility criteria to appear for GATE exam? Which books to be referred and how to prepare for it?

Quote:

Minimum eligibility criteria to appear for GATE exam? Which books to be referred and how to prepare for it?

Eligibility criteria for GATE
  • For Appearing in GATE ,you must havea bachelor's degree in engineering.
  • According to new eligibility criteria , pre-final year students are not eligible to apply for gate.
  • There is no any age criteria regarding GATE exam.
  • There is also no any attempts restriction.
  • For more information , please visit http://www.iitk.ac.in/gate/gate2012/

For preparing gate ,please follow the following points :
  • For better preparation ,you can join any good coaching institute.
  • Alternatively you can also prepare yourself and for this please solve previous year papers .
  • Solve new sample papers of GATE
  • Participate in online preparation test conducted by differnet website.
  • Books- The best book for preparation of gate is MADE EASY

With Regards

rchauhan294
2nd October 2011, 03:49 PM
nitz90
Senior Member+++++

Smile Re: Minimum eligibility criteria to appear for GATE exam? Which books to be referred and how to prepare for it?

Quote:

Eligibility Criteria for GATE

In order to be eligible for GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) you need to complete your engineering first..

You can appear for the GATE exam when you are in the final year of your engineering or after getting your degree

It is advisable to join a good coaching centre for preparations..or at least you should buy the study material of a good coaching institute if you don't want to go to a coaching institute because then,you will have the complete syllabus in your hand and all the topics discussed in detail..
You can join MADE EASY coaching centre or buy its study material as it is a prominent institute which produces good results in GATE..

There is no restriction on the number of attempts that you can make to appear in GATE neither there is any age limit for appearing in this exam

I have also attached a few past papers of Civil Engineering of GATE..just go through them and i hope they will help you out..

all the best..

~Hope this helps.. ~

With Warm Regards
"Nitz"
31st October 2011, 04:19 AM
vinay21feb
Senior Member+++

No my dear you are not eligible for GATE right now. The eligibility for appearing in
GATE exam is a degree in BTech or BE or BArch or a qualification equivalent to engineering
which is awarded by a professional organisation like AMIE.Students who have done their post
graduation degrees in science or maths or statistics or master in computer application are
also eligible for applying to GATE exam.Students who are in their final year of qualifying
examinations are also eligible. As such Students who are in the final year of their
engineering are eligible for applying to GATE.So you will be eligible for applying to
GATE next year. Meanwhile you can atleast start your preprations. Rememeber that GATE is
rated as one of the toughest examinations of our country. You can imagine that a exam which is
organised by the Indian institute of Technology and Indian institute of science will not be
a easy one.So start preparing from right now onwards.Best of luck.
6th June 2012, 01:02 AM
yudhveergvs
Senior Member+

Smile Re: Minimum eligibility criteria to appear for GATE exam? Which books to be referred and how to prepare for it?

There a main referance book for the GATE EXAM,as a GENIUS PUBLISUR.
N. K. is also a good book for the GATE EXAM.

you also prefer the R. S. AGGRAWAL for the quantitude apptitude.

so, these books are useful and helpful in GATE EXAM.

7th June 2012, 12:35 AM
sherleytwain
Senior Member+++++

Quote:

You have much time to prepare for Gate

Eligibility Criteria -

All those candidates who hold a Bachelor degree in Engineering/Technology/ Architecture are eligible for GATE
You will be eligible in the final year of your degree also but now a change has been made as pre final year students are not eligible now.

Since you have much time for it now I suggest you to use the standard books and clear your concepts with your studies. For example in your second year prepare all your subjects keeping the syllabus of GATE also in your mind. Then in third year prepare the subjects of Gate that you will study in third year also.

After this the final preparation will be through some solved papers the books of which can be easily found on any book depo

I am giving a list of some standard books of civil engineering which will help you in gate also. Check the Attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: doc CE books for gate.doc(17.5 KB, 71 views)
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?