16th November 2010, 09:55 PM
vikas saroha

Is it possible to get into IIT after Diploma?

madam/sir i have completed diploma in engineering from mechanical branch. and i want to do iit. can i do iit after diploma in engineering ?

16th November 2010, 10:53 PM
sriram6790

Default Re: Is it possible to get into IIT after Diploma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikas saroha View Post
madam/sir i have completed diploma in engineering from mechanical branch. and i want to do iit. can i do iit after diploma in engineering ?
yes, you are having the oppotunity to do. you need to score more marks in iit entrance exam. you should be technically strong because you are a diploma candidate.
16th November 2010, 11:00 PM
deep_4
Senior Member+++++

Post Re: Is it possible to get into IIT after Diploma?

Quote:
there's no entry called lateral entry in IIT's you can't get into it,
sorry
but you can try for other colleges
16th November 2010, 11:19 PM
Rudraprasad
Senior Member++

Smile Re: Is it possible to get into IIT after Diploma?

Quote:
dear friend,

There is no lateral entry at IITs.you need to start fron first year,and get enter through IIT-JEE.

For diploma students age relaxation facility is avaliable.

Good luck.
17th November 2010, 08:34 AM
ravik1214
Senior Member++++

Thumbs up Re: Is it possible to get into IIT after Diploma?

i am very sorry to say that IIT doesn't offer lateral entry scheme so you are not allowed to take admission in iit after completing your diploma .however if you want to enter iit and if you are elligible then you can sit in IIT-JEE and crack that exam and enter into the first year b.tech and in that case your diploma degree will be wasted .so now its upon you what to do . i want to tell you again that IIT and NIT doesn't offer lateral entry programme .
17th November 2010, 09:22 AM
neethubobby

hey hi
You can join IIT after finishing a diploma course.After completion of Diploma, you need to clear IIT JEE Exam to get a seat in IIT.
so give it a try
ALL THE VERY BEST...
17th November 2010, 11:03 AM
er.dellikannan

Quote:
yes you can do engineering in iit after diploma in engineering but not by lateral entry . you have to do ass a 4 year course.
17th November 2010, 11:18 AM
Satwinderpal Singh Sandhu

Quote:
ya u can do IIt after dioploma there is also a option for diploma in IIt form
17th November 2010, 11:52 AM
JAMESS
Senior Member+++++

you may do your engineering from IIT after your diploma.

but there is no lateral entry scheme in IIT. so you will not be able to take admission directly into second year in IIT after your diploma.

if you want to study engineering from IIT then you have to appear in IIT JEE and you have to secure a good position in the examination to take admission. then only you will get chance to join in first year of engineering.

best wishes.
17th November 2010, 11:59 AM
gurraj singh

Quote:

but there is no lateral entry scheme in IIT. so you will not be able to take admission directly into second year in IIT after your diploma.

if you want to study engineering from IIT then you have to appear in IIT JEE and you have to secure a good position in the examination to take admission. then only you will get chance to join in first year of engineering.

best wishes.
17th November 2010, 12:04 PM
priyanka_swengg
Senior Member+++++

Yes you can write the IIT -JEE because the

qualification for IIT is : 10 + 2 or its equivalents.....

So you can apply but their is a twist that unlike other Engineering college you will get admission into 1st year ....
ALL THE VERY BEST FOR YOUR FUTURE
17th November 2010, 01:00 PM
raja jeganathan

Post Re: Is it possible to get into IIT after Diploma?

yes it is possiable .. you can join in IIT with you +2 basis.. you have to write a entrance exam IIT JEE.. there is no lateral entry scheme in IIT like engg. so you cannot be able to take admission directly into second year.
18th November 2010, 12:05 AM
mini rani
Senior Member++

HI!

Sorry, IITs does not have a lateral entry scheme for admission of diploma candidates into their BE/BTech courses. You should try for other colleges.

However, if you are really interested in studying in IIT then you should appear for IIT JEE exam & secure a high %age. But you have to study engineering from 1st year itself.

In that case, the year you spent on studying diploma in engineering would be a waste. So, it is advisable to get admission in BE in some other top engineering colleges taking admission through lateral entry scheme.
18th November 2010, 02:44 PM
imira
Senior Member+++++

Yes, it is possible to get into IIT after diploma. Though lateral entry is not possible. At first appear for the IIT JEE entrance exam. If you clear this then there are no worries in joining IIT with a diploma in engineering.
26th January 2011, 01:12 PM
Gurpreet Singh Wadhwa

of course it is possible to do engineering from IIT after Diploma.
But you are not eligible for directly appearing in seond year.
you need to work hard as IIT Entrance test is organised by Madras.you need to score good marks in exam to get admission in IIT.
There are only two consecutive chances are given for appearing in IIT Entrance exam.
you should have minimum 65% marks in diploma as a eligibilty criteria for IIT.
Age should not be more than 25 years.
31st January 2011, 10:48 PM
prashantmeghalia
Senior Member++

Cool Re: Is it possible to get into IIT after Diploma?

Quote:
dear friend,
there is no lateral entry admission in iit colleges. you will have to take admission in first year only. for this you will have to give iit jee entrance exam. if you get good marks in that exam, then only you will get admission in iit college.
2nd February 2011, 11:11 AM
Unregistered

sir, iam persuing in diploma in mechenical engg, and i want to join the iit as like 12th . can i do it and if yes then how should prepare for this.
3rd February 2011, 01:02 PM
xavi

hiiiiiiiii,

--There is no lateral entry at IITs.you need to start fron first year,and get enter through IIT-JEE.
--after deploma you should crack IIT-JEE entrace and strart engg.from 1st yr

good luck
15th February 2011, 11:06 PM
Mayank Shekhar

Dear,
According to me -

Thanks.
all the best.
12th April 2011, 05:09 PM
zeeshan87
Senior Member+

ya not possible but can do mtech in iit after btech best of luck.
13th April 2011, 11:55 AM
strange_rahul
Senior Member+

Yes....yo give entrance of IIT but you have minimum 60% marks in 12th
29th May 2011, 12:13 PM
Unregistered

Respected sir,
i have completed 3 years diploma in computer science engineering.i want to know that by giving a gap of 1 year after diploma for its preparation, whether i will be allowed to join iit or not?

Thanks and regards
Manoj chaudhary
31st August 2011, 05:23 PM
dhruv007

if you want to study engineering from IIT then you have to appear in IIT JEE,, and you have to score better in this exam .

you have maximum two consecutive no.of attempt after passing of class 12th.
27th October 2012, 11:08 PM
Unregistered

Hai sir we are not able to write the exam in diploma second year?
7th November 2012, 01:54 PM
Unregistered

helloo, friend im pravin kengar from maharastra i am in rooral background so, i have no extra knowlege for this technical edgucation. friend you contact me and always yuo have give in information in iit colleges . thanks
7th November 2012, 02:03 PM
Unregistered

can i apply for iit colleges in direct second year in diploma through ?
8th November 2012, 10:48 AM
sherleytwain
Senior Member+++++

unfortunately you can not get admission in Indian Institute of Technology. The diploma holders are not eligible for admission in IIT because there is no lateral entry scheme in the university. Alike IIT, National Institution of Technology also does not offer any lateral entry.

The candidates who have completed diploma in engineering after 10th are given admission into the second year of B.Tech through lateral entry. The admission procedure for lateral entry is different since you are not allowed to appear for competitive entrance exams that are conducted for Engineering after completing 12th.

Diploma holders can not appear for AIEEE, IIT-JEE or other engineering entrance exams because the criteria for such exams is 12th standard. Diploma holders appear for different entrance exam called LEET which although is accepted by several universities in India but not by the Indian Institute of Technology.

That is the reason why you can't have admission in IIT. But you should not feel disappointed. There are several other universities that offer admission through lateran entry. They reserve some seats for the diploma holders for lateral entry admission.

The criteria to appear for LEET exam is 50-60 percent marks in diploma course. Please remember that some universities prefer to conduct their own entrance exam for admission to diploma holders, while some universities give admission on the basis of merit without having to appear for entrance exam.
8th November 2012, 09:16 PM
onlyforyou
Senior Member+++

Hello Friend,

Sorry to say but its not possible to appear for the IIT Entrance Exam if you have completed diploma.

This is because the educational qualification that you should have to appear in the IIT Entrance Examination is you must have passed 12th from any recognized board with a minimum of 60% marks.

Also , you must have passed 12th with Physics , Chemistry and Maths as your key subjects.

Hope the above information will provide you the information you were searching for.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?