4th September 2011, 03:14 PM
angel anew

What should I do to clear CDS Exam? Syllabus for CDS Exam? How to clear this Exam?

I am doing b.sc with non med. I am interested to join defence sevices. I want to clear cds examination, please tell me what should i do for it? And tell me syllabus for cds. And how can i clear it?

6th September 2011, 12:20 AM
vike
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: What should I do to clear CDS Exam? Syllabus for CDS Exam? How to clear this Exam?

Dear Friend

The CDS examination for Indian Military Academy, Indian Air Force and Indian Navy,
is common.
The written examination comprises of three sections.
1. English
2. General Knowledge
3. Elementary Mathematics
Every section is of full marks 100 (i.e., 300 total marks) and time allotted for each
section is 2 hours.

The CDS examination for Officers Training Academy excludes the Mathematics Section.
The syllabus and question paper is same for the other two sections.
Every section is of full marks 100 (i.e., 200 total marks) and time allotted for each
section is 2 hours.

STANDARD AND SYLLABUS OF THE EXAMINATION as mentioned by UPSC

-}The Elementary Mathematics section will contain questions be of Matriculation level.

-}The questions of English section will be designed to test the candidates’ understanding of English and workmanlike use of words.

-}GENERAL KNOWLEDGE : General Knowledge including knowledge of current events and of such matters of
everyday observation and experience in their scientific aspects as may be expected of
an educated person who has not made a special study of any scientific subject. The
paper will also include questions on History of India and Geography of a nature which
candidate should be able to answer without special study.

ELEMENTARY MATHEMATICS Syllabus:
ARITHMETIC
Number System-Natural numbers, Integers, Rational and Real numbers. Fundamental
operations addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, Square roots, Decimal, fractions.
Unitary method, time and distance, time and work, percentages, applications to simple
and compound interest, profit and loss, ratio and proportion, variation.
Elementary Number Theory- Division algorithm. Prime and composite numbers. Tests of
divisibility by 2,3,4,5,9 and 11. Multiples and factors. Factorisation Theorem. H.C.F. and L.C.M.
Euclidean algorithm, Logarithms to base 10, laws of logarithms, use of logarithmic tables.
ALGEBRA
Basic Operations, simple factors, Remainder Theorem, H.C.F., L.C.M. Theory of polynomi-
als, solutions of quadratic equations, relation between its roots and coefficients (Only real
roots to be considered). Simultaneous linear equations in two unknowns-analytical and
graphical solutions. Simultaneous linear inequations in two variables and their solutions.
Practical problems leading to two simultaneous linear equations or inequations in two
variables or quadratic equations in one variable & their solutions. Set language and set
notation, Rational expressions and conditional identities, Laws of indices.
TRIGONOMETRY
Sine x, cosine x, Tangent x when 00 < x < 900
Values of sin x, cos x and tan x, for x = 00, 300, 450, 600 and 900
Simple trigonometric identities.
Use of trigonometric tables.
simple cases of heights and distances.
GEOMETRY
Lines and angles, Plane and plane figures, Theorems on (i) Properties of angles at a
point (ii) Parallel lines, (iii) Sides and angles of a triangle, (iv) Congruency of triangles,
(v) Similar triangles, (vi) Concurrence of medians and altitudes, (vii) Properties of
angles, sides and diagonals of a parallelogram, rectangle and square (viii) Circles and
its properties including tangents and normals, (ix) Loci.
MENSURATION
Areas of squares, rectangles, parallelograms, triangle and circle. Areas of figures which
can be split up into these figures (Field Book), Surface area and volume of cuboids,
lateral surface and volume of right circular cones and cylinders, surface area and
volume of spheres.
STATISTICS
Collection and tabulation of statistical data, Graphical representation, frequency
polygons, histograms, bar charts, pie charts etc. Measures of central tendency.

* Syllabus Source: UPSC

To prepare for the exam you can refer any indicative guide.
You should first go through the previous year question papers (Available on UPSC website).
Once you get the complete idea of examination then you can plan your preparation
strategy by yourself.
This examination just requires a good speed while answering question and hence basically
personal skills/aptitude matters a lot which can be grabbed only by practicing questions.
6th September 2011, 04:26 AM
nitz90
Senior Member+++++

Smile Re: What should I do to clear CDS Exam? Syllabus for CDS Exam? How to clear this Exam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel anew View Post
I am doing b.sc with non med. I am interested to join defence sevices. I want to clear cds examination, please tell me what should i do for it? And tell me syllabus for cds. And how can i clear it?
CDS Examination

you have to focus on General Knowledge and English for clearing this exam..and also you should be physically fit and should have a perfect eyesight..

i have attached two sample papers which will help you doing your preparation even in a better manner and will let you know..what and how exactly is the paper framed..

~Hope this helps.. ~

With Warm Regards
"Nitz"
27th October 2011, 11:00 PM
Unregistered

Default Re: What should I do to clear CDS Exam? Syllabus for CDS Exam? How to clear this Exam?

Eligibility of education for this exam
2nd December 2011, 05:56 PM
Unregistered

I am studying in B.E.
Should I applicable to give the CDS Exam for the Merchant Navy?
16th December 2011, 12:59 AM
jxsab
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel anew View Post
Hey friend,

The exam is conducted by UPSC and it is done twice in a year.

The education criteria for CDS exam is mentioned below:

For Military and Officers training academy:

A degree from a recognized university is needed.

For Indian Naval Academy:

A degree in the field of engineering is needed.

For Air force academy:

A degree from a recognized university with physics and maths at 10 and 12 level or a B.E degree is needed.

Age limits:

For Indian Military academy:

Only male unmarried candidates with 19-24 years of age are eligible.

For Naval academy:

Only male unmarried candidates with 19-22 years of age are eligible.

For Air force academy:

Only male unmarried candidates with 19-23 years of age are eligible.

For Officer's training academy:

Unmarried or married male candidates with 19-25 years of age are eligible.
31st December 2011, 12:21 AM
Unregistered

hello, i am a student of B.E. 4th semester, Electronics and Telecommunication branch. I want to join Indian Air Force and i am quite serious
and determinant for it plz somebody guide me in such a way that i may reach to my goal at one go.
I want to know following things:

1. can i give exam for Indian Air force when i reach 6th semester???
2. from where can i get its form???
3. how can i prepare for the exams related to it??
4. where will i find the best coachings for it in India(Delhi,Pune,Indore,Bhopal,Bangalore,Noida)??? ?
plz rply...........
24th January 2012, 12:42 PM
Unregistered

How i can prepare and how much marks need to clear it
24th January 2012, 03:06 PM
mahendra bahadur thapa

everything comes with hard work so work hard. consider a good books as arihant for preparation and you can also join coaching for help to success.

upsc.gov.nic.in you can go this site to check more information.
9th June 2012, 05:10 PM
Unregistered

i need to know some questions for general knowledge section .
13th June 2012, 03:10 PM
Unregistered

how many times person belonging to general category give CDS(II) exam?
13th June 2012, 10:42 PM
Unregistered

Hello, this year i have filled the cds form in which i gave 1st pref IMA and 2nd pref OTA, but for joing IMA it is necessary to show ur passing certificate on 13 may 2012 but i an the student of appearing year .my result will come on june, so what should i do?
15th June 2014, 09:14 PM
Unregistered

I need 3 years solved qs. paper of CDS exam.so anyone have solved qs. paper of cds exam, plz send to my email [email protected]
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?