1st December 2015, 01:00 PM
akshay0123

What should I do MA or M.Sc in Economics? What options are available for admission?

I have completed B Com (65.42%) (not in honours) in June 2014. Now I want to study Economics at further level. Will you please tell me as to what are the options for admission. Also what can/should I do MA or MSc in Economics?? Please revert.

Related Questions:
1st December 2015, 10:45 PM
18Angel
Senior Member+

Default Re: What should I do MA or M.Sc in Economics? What options are available for admission?

If you have done B.com then you can apply for MFC ( Master of financial control) or MBE ( Master of Business Economics).

If you want to go for economics then MBE is the best option.But now you want to choose between MA or M.sc .

Eligibility Criteria for MA in economics:- You must have completed graduation degree with minimum 60% marks.You can definitely get admission in MA economics after completing B.com .

If you have interested to do MA as correspondence mode then IGNOU university is best option for you.
2nd December 2015, 12:37 AM
lvnareshsunrise
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: What should I do MA or M.Sc in Economics? What options are available for admission?

Yes. It would be a good choice of opting for Economics at Post Graduation level. In addition, MBA is also a very good option for the candidates at Post Graduation level.

Few of the Economics courses that you can opt for at PG level are

MA in Analytical and Applied Economics
MA in Indian Economics
MA in Economics
MA in Applied Economics
MA in Econometrics
MA in Quantitative Economics
M.Sc in Applied Economics
M.Sc in Mathematical Economics etc.

Out of these courses, you can opt for the one which you are interested. MA in Economics and M.Sc in Economics are quite similar.

The admission for these courses would be given on the basis of performance in the Entrance Exam.

Different universities conduct their own Entrance Exam in order to give admission for these courses.

In order to be eligible for the Entrance Exams, you should have scored a minimum of 50% of marks in your Graduation.

I would suggest you to opt for the course first and then collect the list of top colleges offering that courses and know the eligibility criteria and selection procedure to get admission in those colleges.

Crack the selection procedure and get admission. Since it is a top college, there would be highly qualified faculty and hence you will be having great scope to gain subject knowledge and to become master in the subject.

As per the job opportunities, soon after completion of this course, you can find job opportunities in various
-Private sector banks
-Insurance Companies
-Stock Broking Companies
-Asset Management companies
-RBI and NGO's etc.

You can also go for Teaching in Private colleges. If you have interest in Higher studies and Research, then you can also go for M.Phil and Ph.D courses.
3rd December 2015, 10:12 AM
kachhadiyasrk

You are not eligible for M.sc(Economics).As you have completed your graduation in b.com , you can apply only for M.A(Economics).

Eligibility for M.A.(Economics)
One must have passed bachelor's degree in any discipline from a recognized university.

Career Prospects
You cam work as a Accountant , Business Analyst , Money Manager , Corporate Analyst , Financial Analysts , Investments Analyst , Market Analysts , Investment Banker , Marketing Manager , Operations Manager , Personal Finance Consultant , Securities Analyst etc.

Employment Area
- Accounts Sections
- Finance Sectors
- Banking Sectors
- Research Associates
- Economic Consulting Firms
- Customs Department
- Import/Export Companies
- Civil Services
8th December 2015, 02:44 PM
AbhinavSinha1

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay0123 View Post
I have completed B Com (65.42%) (not in honours) in June 2014. Now I want to study Economics at further level. Will you please tell me as to what are the options for admission. Also what can/should I do MA or MSc in Economics?? Please revert.
Hi, as you want to go for M.A economics. Both M.A and M.Sc economics are the one and the same thing except that some universities teach an added papers along with the course. For M.A economics, D.U is the best to go for but as DU has most of its seats reserved for Delhi University candidates, you can try for UPES dehradoon too, that offers specialized course in energy econo mics that will open a lot of options for you in energy sector apart from the traditional sectors, don't worry about the placement, UPES is good while placing its students. All the best.
13th January 2016, 05:30 PM
GraphicDesiner

Smile Re: What should I do MA or M.Sc in Economics? What options are available for admission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay0123 View Post
Both are good and have their own scope and importance in future.
I tell you major differences between these two courses

Master of Arts (M.A) in Economics is a Post Graduate course of 2 years duration which focuses on the study of economics as a discipline at an advanced level.

Master of Science (M.Sc) in Economics is a Post Graduate Academic degree course of 2 years duration which focuses on the study of scientific principles in the field of economics.

The job opportunities, job profiles as well as the salary packages offered for an M.Sc in Economics graduate is better than that of a M.A in Economics graduate.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?