21st October 2012, 02:33 AM
Unregistered

What is the syllabus for Geology? Which books should I prefer?

sir .my branch is petroleum engineering.plz send me geology syllabus and which book do you prefer..can i appear in psu and ies (syllabus).............

Related Questions:
  1. Can I apply for IIT-JAM(Geology/Geophysics) if having Physics in 3rd & 4th semesters of B.Sc(Geology)? Books for preparation of this exam? Which one has better scope between Geology and Geophysics?
  2. How to prepare for ISM Dhanbad Exam? Books to be referred? Previous years papers of Geology?
  3. How to prepare for ISM Dhanbad Geology MSc Tech entrance? Is there any website for previous years question papers of Geology?
  4. Any other book for Geology besides NCERT? Which other books to prefer?
  5. How to prepare for PSU exam? Syllabus of the exam? Which books to prefer?
  6. Question papers and reference books for IITJAM Geology? -- [New]
  7. Books to be referred for IIT JAM Geology? I am pursuing BSc in Geology
  8. Books for Geology objective questions to prepare for geology GATE exam, UPSC, ONGC etc?
  9. How can I join MSc in geology?
  10. How to prepare for Loco Pilot exam?
  11. Syllabus and List of Books to prepare for HAL Management Trainee Exam in HR?
  12. Which Books should I prepare to crack IIT-JEE in Geology? How to download previous year Question Papers for this Exam?
  13. Does ISRO prefer MSc students? How to apply for it?
  14. How to join AIIMS and what is the syllabus? Best books to be referred?
  15. After MSc Geology which courses I have to prefer for correspondence while doing Job?
  16. Detailed information about the distance universities offering M.Sc Geology for B.Sc Geology passed candidate?
  17. Eligibility criteria for doing MSc Geology? Notification date and syllabus of MSc Geology exam? -- [Most Discussed]
  18. How should I prepare for IES? Which books to prefer? I am a student of electronics and telecommunication engineering
21st October 2012, 12:07 PM
siddjain93

Default Re: What is the syllabus for Geology? Which books should I prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
sir .my branch is petroleum engineering.plz send me geology syllabus and which book do you prefer..can i appear in psu and ies (syllabus).............
Syllabus of Geology:-

The Planet Earth: Origin of the Solar System and the Earth; Geosphere and the composition of the Earth; Shape and size of the earth; Earth-moon system; Formation of continents and oceans; Dating rocks and age of the Earth; Energy in the earth system; Volcanism and volcanic landforms; Interior of earth; Earthquakes; Earth’s magnetism and gravity, Isostasy; Elements of Plate tectonics; Orogenesis.

Geomorphology:
Weathering and erosion; Transportation and deposition due to wind, ice, river, sea, and resulting landforms, Structurally controlled landforms.

Structural Geology: Concept of stratum; Contour; Outcrop patterns; Maps and cross sections; Dip and strike; Classification and origin of folds, faults, joints, foliation and lineation, unconformities; shear zones.

Palaeontology: Origin and evolution of life; Fossils; their mode of preservation and utility; Morphological characters and ages of important groups of animals; Brachiopoda, Mollusca, Trilobita, Graptolitoidea, Anthozoa, Echinodermata etc. Gondwana plant fossils; Elementary idea of verterbrate fossils in India.

Stratigraphy:
Principles of stratigraphy; Classification, distribution and ages of the stratigraphic formations of India from Archaean to Recent.

Mineralogy:
Symmetry and forms in common crystal classes; Physical properties of minerals; Isomorphism and polymorphism, Classification of minerals; Structure of silicates; Mineralogy of common rock-forming minerals; Mode of occurrence of minerals in rocks. Transmitted polarised light microscopy and optical properties of uniaxial and biaxial minerals.

Petrology: Definition and classification of rocks; Igneous rock-forms of igneous bodies; Crystallization from magma; classification, association and genesis of igneous rocks; Sedimentary rocks-classification, texture and structure; size and shape of sedimentary bodies. Metamorphic rocks-classification, facies, texture and properties.

Economic Geology:
Properties of common economic minerals; General processes of formation of mineral deposits; Physical characters; Mode of occurrence and distribution in India both of metallic and non-metallic mineral deposits; Coal and petroleum occurrences in India.

Applied Geology: Ground Water; Mineral exploration, elements of mining and Environmental Geology; Principles of Engineering Geology.
Shared by Sundar Mano
23rd March 2014, 01:58 PM
Jilliammiy

Default Good day to all i am latest member to this neck of the woods hello

Heya! i'm for the primary time here. I just found this bbs and I in finding It truly useful & it helped me out a lot. I actually enjoyed the standard threads an individual supply for your guests.

I'm very glad to see such magnificent info being shared freely out there. I am hoping to present or help one thing back and aid others such as you helped me.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?