6th February 2011, 08:23 PM
divyadamodaran

When to start the preparations for IAS exam? Which optional subjects to choose? Which coaching centres to join?

i am divya, 1st year B.E student of cse department Which optional subject to choose?Which institute shall i prefer to get training ?

Related Questions:
  1. Which is the best way to prepare for IAS Exam? Which optional subjects should I choose for this exam being a candidate from B.Com course?
  2. How to join IAS exam after passing B.Tech? Which subjects should I choose as optional subject?
  3. Is it better to choose subjects other than i had in graduation for IAS preparations?
  4. Which optional subject can I choose in IAS exam being M.Sc in Mathematics holder? -- [New]
  5. Which Optional Subjects should I choose for IAS Exam?
  6. Is it better to choose different subjects or which i had in my graduation for IAS preparations?
  7. How to choose optional subjects in IAS for a student in mechanical engineering
  8. Which Coaching center is good for IAS Exam? Which Optional subject should I opt for this Exam between History and Geography?
  9. How to write IAS exam after completing engineering? I am studying engineering 3rd year CSE
  10. Which subjects can I choose as Optional for IAS Exam having completed CSE?
  11. Which Optional Subjects should I choose for IAS Exam being a Bio-Agri candidate?
  12. Optional subjects in the IAS preliminary exam -- [Most Discussed]
  13. Which optional subjects should I choose to take IAS exam?
  14. How to prepare for IAS after passing Mechanical engineering? Which optional subjects should I choose?
  15. Which two subjects are best suited for IAS preparations for an electrical engineering student?
  16. What is the best coaching for civils in delhi?
  17. How should I prepare the preliminary round preparations of IAS?
  18. Which optional subjects a B.Tech IT student should choose in IAS IPS prelims exams?
18th February 2011, 12:44 AM
divaykhosla

Default Re: When to start the preparations for IAS exam? Which optional subjects to choose? Which coaching centres to join?

First, you should be mentally fully prepared to bear the strain of this one-year-long exam; and second, you should have (or develop) a sound expression (written as well as verbal) in the medium (language) you want to appear with. Once you have obtained these two qualifications, other issues regarding preparation for the exam can be handled better and easily.
18th February 2011, 05:50 PM
maddusajj
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: When to start the preparations for IAS exam? Which optional subjects to choose? Which coaching centres to join?

hi..
start the preparation right from now,
the general paper of the ias exam covers an very vast syllabus and the more time you dedicate for it the better it is,
you should start reading the books of ncert for the subjects of history,geography and others subject,
generally the questions in the prelims exam are from the inter or 12th level,the mains exam the questions are asked in depth so you should be really well prepared and real hard work is required,
choose an subject in which you are comfortable with and are confident to do well
as you have four years for preparation choose your subject from now only and start preparing ,
the list of subjects are available at www.upsc.gov.in
one better option is to choose an subject which overlaps with the general studies paper so that the work load on you decrease a bit
19th February 2011, 03:29 AM
Amed2010

If your aim is to be a IAS. Then you can start your preparation from the moment you think you want to be IAS.
It will be a good idia if you choose Arts rather then science for your 12th standard study if you are not so good in science. And obviouly choose those subjects you love most.
Read them from the besic and with depth. The two subjects you think in which you are good enough, choose them.
There are several coaching centre on this regards. You can read the News paper 'THE HINDU'. I think it can help you to get some idea about some leading coaching centre in Delhi.
19th February 2011, 06:04 AM
imira
Senior Member+++++

If you are interested in becoming an IAS officer you must start preparing for the same right away. Especially you must prepare for the General Knowledge section. Do read the newspaper daily and also books in this area. Since you are from the computer science background you must choose the subjects in this area itself as optional subject. There are many training institutes in this area. Since you have not mentioned your location it is not possible to provide information on the same. You can choose any popular institute near you.
19th February 2011, 01:21 PM
kanikabansal22aug

Thumbs up Re: When to start the preparations for IAS exam? Which optional subjects to choose? Which coaching centres to join?

hello
IAS preparation can be started any time.But it is necessary to start at least one year before.One year is the minimum time required.And mains preparation should be started together with prelims because after that you will not get much time for preparation.
For IAS it is necessary,you should be ready to handle stress and to study with full dedication,energy and actively.And it is not necessary that you will crack in first attempt only,so you must be ready for rejection also.

"Just hope for the best but be prepared for the worst too."

Selection of subjects is very important.Well,its answer totally depends on your interest and permonance and grasp on particular subject.Since you are doing B.tech from CS department,if i will be there on your position than i might select History and Economics.Well,you can also opt Geography in place for Economics.

Well,Made Easy in Delhi is descent as a coaching institute for IAS.

You tell in which city you would prefer to join coaching institute.
19th February 2011, 01:29 PM
ankurloonia

sorry i don't know about institutes as normally past IAS students coach individually for Civil services exam preparation. Still about subjects though you would be thinking that you are good in maths, physics, chem or electronics but don't take them as their syllabus is quite huge and tough.... but i would suggest you to take up history, geography because you will be able to complete syllabus of these subjects.... so best of luck.. also start ur preparation as soon as u pass ur 12..
19th February 2011, 08:35 PM
srinivas72
Junior Member+

it is better to choose mathemetics is best optional subject.so many institues are giving trining to IAS.some best institues are
Rangaraya IAS Academy **
Address: 4 TH FLOOR AVM TOWERS NEAR VISHWANATH THEATRE KPHB HYDERABAD-72
City: HYDERABAD
State/Province: ANDHRA PRADESH
Phone: 9346964028, 9246211058
Additional message: coaching offered for general studies,history,geography,public admn,maths
25th February 2011, 10:19 AM
Unregistered

i completed my B.PHARMACY COURSE , WHICH SUBJECT SHOULD I TAKE IN OPT ?
13th June 2011, 06:59 PM
Unregistered

iam persuing my masters in horticulture in hyderabad..can you suggest me which subjects can i take as optionals??can agriculture and botany be opted??is syllabus for botany too vast to handle??i want to know regarding some good coaching institutes in hyderabad..?regarding ncert syllabus which subjects should be read from standard 5th onwards??please clarify my queiries....
17th June 2011, 04:37 PM
Unregistered

i have completed my b.tech 3rd yearfrom mechanical engineering. which subjects should i chose for mains?
4th July 2011, 11:53 PM
Unregistered

Hi..i am doing a 5 yr integrated masters in geophysics from IIT... although my course is related to geology ,i don't want to take it as my optional for IAS ..as i am not interested in the subject...I am thinking of taking any 2 out of public admin(i have heard it helps in GS prelims and also its more like civics ..and in my school days i had good interest in civics) ,sociology(i have heard that its syllabus is a little less comprehensive compared to other subjects ) and geography(i read somewhere on net that lot of students with science background also opt for geography..so i thought maybe its the right choice..)....although studying in IIT one makes a presumption about me that i may or may not like social sciences but i have always enjoyed studying history,geography and civics more than maths and science in my school days...but there is one thing which worries me a bit that i will be competing with students who are studying these courses as bachelors and masters in different colleges across the country...does that hold me a greater disadvantage...??...do u know or can quote some examples of students from IIT or for that matter any other engineering college who took social sciences as their optional and cleared IAS .?..kindly suggest.thanking you!!
27th August 2011, 12:31 PM
Unregistered

sir,i have appeared for the civil service preliminary exam.i haven't qualified.i'll appear next time.can i change my optional paper of mains while appearing for next time?
30th August 2011, 03:04 PM
Unregistered

i am an i st yr engineering student ,when should i start preparation
27th September 2011, 07:28 PM
Unregistered

do i need to study pg level for my optional in civil service?
1st November 2011, 03:04 PM
Unregistered

Is Statistics a good optional for the UPSC Mains exam? Any clues on what percentage of candidates typically choose statistics as their optional?
10th December 2011, 05:41 PM
Unregistered

i have completed my M.Sc in Geology, i want to be an IAS. which subject i have to choose to score better?please give your valuable advice.
17th December 2011, 06:29 PM
Unregistered

IF IAM DOING INTER WITH COMMERCE CAN I PREPARE AND PARTICIPATE FOR IAS EXAMS AFTWERWORDS?
15th July 2012, 07:42 PM
Unregistered

im doing my fouryth year mbbs in govt.medical college trivandrum,kerala.i love malayalam and english literature too.which optional subjects suits me?wen should i start preparing?-
17th November 2012, 12:23 PM
Unregistered

I AM STUDYING ENGINEERING 1stYEAR -ECE.WHICH SUBJECT CAN I CHOOSE FOR PREPARING AN IAS?
16th May 2014, 05:47 PM
Unregistered

Sir; I am in 4th year mechanical engg. I want to become an IAS officer so which subjects I preferred the most for these exam and which books referred along with authors from basics....
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?