16th June 2015, 05:00 PM
Unregistered

Am I eligible to study PhD in Mathematics after completing MS in Computer Science?

Hi,
I am pursuing MS in Computer Science from BITS Pilani. It is a 4 years course. I had Maths as one of the main subjects in first 2 semesters only. I want to do PhD in Mathematics. Will I be eligible for the same after completion of my MS.

Related Questions:
  1. Am I eligible to study PhD in Mathematics after B.E.(CSE)? List of institutes which offer PhD in Mathematics?
  2. Am I eligible to study Ph.D in Computer Science if completed M.Sc with 55.55% marks? Universities offering Ph.D in Computer Science through Distance Mode in India?
  3. Am I eligible to study Integrated M.Sc in Computer Science after completing 12th Mathematics? Is this course equivalent to B.E.(Computer Science Engineering)?
  4. Eligibility for PhD in Computer Science or Computer Application? Which university is providing these courses?
  5. Am I eligible to study PhD in Computer Science if pursuing MCA from SMU?
  6. Can I study Master's Degree in Computer Science after completing B.Sc(Computer Science)?
  7. Am I eligible to study PhD in Mathematics if having 28 years of Teaching experience after Post Graduation in Mathematics?
  8. Am I eligible to do Ph.D in Computer Science or Computer Application if I have completed MCA in commerce?
  9. Eligibility criteria for PhD in Mathematics after MCA?
  10. List of various diploma courses after BDS? Where are the courses offered? -- [Most Discussed]
  11. Is it possible to do M.Tech in Mathematics after B.Tech in Computer Science? Can I be a Lecturer just after M.Tech or PhD is necessary?
  12. Procedure to apply for Distance PhD(Computer Science) for M.Tech(CSE) student?
  13. How can I get admission to study PhD in Mathematics in any Central University after completing M.Sc(Mathematics)?
  14. How can I get admission to study PhD in Computer Science? Qualification required to get admission?
  15. Mechanical engineer with 4 years work experience is eligible to do PhD in Mathematics? What route to take for pursuing PhD in Mathematics?
  16. Am I eligible for Assistant Professor of Mathematics while doing PhD?
  17. Can I get admission to study M.Sc(Computer Science) after completing B.Sc(Mathematics & Computer Science)? Percentage required to get admission?
  18. Will I be eligible for Osmania Ph.D Test after completing MSc Computer Science?
19th June 2015, 01:12 AM
BISWARUPYOGI
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Am I eligible to study PhD in Mathematics after completing MS in Computer Science?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi,
I am pursuing MS in Computer Science from BITS Pilani. It is a 4 years course. I had Maths as one of the main subjects in first 2 semesters only. I want to do PhD in Mathematics. Will I be eligible for the same after completion of my MS.
You have completed M.S in Computer science so you are not eligible for Ph.D in Mathematics.

Candidates who have completed masters degree in Mathematics from a recognized university are eligible for Ph.D course in Mathematics. General and OBC candidates should hold 55% and above marks in masters degree. For SC/ST candidate its 50% and above in masters degree.

There is no age criteria. Your age should be below 28 years for JRF post.
19th June 2015, 09:17 PM
ajayrocks007
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Am I eligible to study PhD in Mathematics after completing MS in Computer Science?

According to the eligibility criteria you must have post graduation in maths or its related subject to become eligible for admission in Ph.D in Maths. If you have studied maths in your M.S then you have chance of getting admission.

If the course is only related to computer sciences subject then it will be difficult for you to get admission in Maths Ph.D programme. Therefore, it seems difficult for you to become eligible but if you want admission in Ph.D computer science then you are definitely eligible for it.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?