10th March 2019, 06:36 PM
Unregistered

Is there any entrance exam to join PhD program in Gauhati University? Procedure to get admission?

Hello Sir, I have completed my MA in English Literature. Now successfully join MPhil course in same subject. My aim is to do research on English Literature. I want to study my PhD in Gauhati University. I want to know that Gauhati University takes exam for PhD admission? If yes, then how can I proceed for admission?

12th March 2019, 07:40 PM
bokoma
Member+

Default Re: Is there any entrance exam to join PhD program in Gauhati University? Procedure to get admission?

The candidate aspiring to join PhD program in Gauhati University has to give GU-RET(Gauhati Research Eligibility Test). The exam is followed by counselling round. The admission done two times in an academic year. One is Autumn (August) and the other is Spring(February).
14th March 2019, 12:12 PM
bokoma
Member+

Default Re: Is there any entrance exam to join PhD program in Gauhati University? Procedure to get admission?

The intake of prospective students to join PhD program is done through GU-RET exam conducted by the university. The GU-RET is an examination comprising of two parts they are a common paper to test the applicant's knowledge about reasoning and aptitude, mental ability, basic computer awareness and research methodology and the second part is to test the applicants knowledge on specific subjects in which the candidate wants do research. The question paper comprises of three sections carrying a total of 100 marks.
First Section:
The first section carries 20 marks and the question are based on reasoning and aptitude. The minimum cut-off is 30% of total marks.
Second Section:
The second section carries 30 or 50 marks and the questions are of multiple choice type, based on the relevant subject of the candidate. The minimum cut-off is 30% of total marks.
Third Section:
The third section is a descriptive paper where the question are based on the relevant subject of the applicant. This section is of 50 or 30 marks and the minimum cut-off is 30% of the total marks.
The question of second and third section for a particular subject will be as per the Master's syllabus of Gauhati University.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?