21st March 2017, 03:46 PM
Unregistered

What course I need to do for second mate?

I have 40 month seatime. I am going UK for my second mate COC. Which course I have to do for second mate?

8th April 2023, 06:12 AM
UmangSharmaMumbai

Default Re: What course I need to do for second mate?

To become a Second Mate, you will need to complete the required education and training courses, as well as gain a certain amount of sea time. Based on your question, it seems like you already have the required amount of sea time. Therefore, to obtain a Second Mate Certificate of Competency (COC) in the UK, you will need to complete the following courses:

• Basic Safety Training (BST): This is a mandatory course that covers basic safety procedures and practical training in firefighting, personal survival techniques, and first aid.
  • Advanced Fire Fighting (AFF): This course covers advanced firefighting techniques and procedures.
  • Medical First Aid (MFA): This course covers basic medical procedures and first aid.
  • Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats (PSCRB): This course covers practical training in launching and operating survival craft and rescue boats.
  • Navigation and Radar (NARAS): This course covers the use of radar and other navigational aids, including electronic chart display and information systems (ECDIS).
  • Ship Stability and Construction (SSC): This course covers the principles of ship stability and construction.
  • Celestial Navigation (CNAV): This course covers the use of celestial navigation for position fixing.
  • Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS): This course covers the use of GMDSS equipment for communication and distress calls.
  • Bridge Resource Management (BRM): This course covers the principles of effective bridge resource management.
Once you have completed these courses, you can apply for the Second Mate COC in the UK. It is important to note that the specific requirements for obtaining a Second Mate COC may vary depending on the country and the maritime authority granting the certificate.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?