17th April 2011, 02:46 PM
sudhabalaji

How to prepare for IAS? Subjects to study?

i am doing my engeneering in cse in gokaraju ranga raju institute of engeneering and technology. i want to prepare for IAS examinations . how should i start my preparation and which subjects i should choose for IAS

17th April 2011, 03:37 PM
sumansin
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: How to prepare for IAS? Subjects to study?

First you should have complete your graducation and decide your subject
for prelims and mains.

you should 1. Read newspaper daily
2. read news magazines if possible
3. Make notes of your ncert books from class 6th to class 10th for
all subjects geo for class 11th and class 12th as well history of
class 11th atleast.
4.read GK books.
5.watching channels like discovery helps a lot in the long run.
try to understand things, and work hard is the only mantra for
success in IAS.

Then you have to appear for the exam.

Exam pattern:-

!) the first is a screening exam full of multiple choice.

2) if you get selected You can attend the mains

3) then you will be called for interview.

4)the marks of the main and interview are considered for the FINAL rank list.

5) those who are included in the FIRST 100 get IAS.

All the best
17th April 2011, 03:39 PM
SANDEEP891985
Senior Member+++++

Hello friend,
First of all, i want to let you now about the syllabus of the exam.
The examination is divided into two stages
Preliminary Exam- Civil Service Aptitude Test
Main Exam

There won't be any optional paper in the CSAT and you will have to appear for both compulsory papers.
CSAT syllabus
Paper 1
Current events of national and international importance
History of India and Indian national movement
Indian and World Geography- physical, social, economic geography of India and the world
Indian Polity and governance – constitution, political system, panchayati raj, public policy, Rights issues, etc.
Economic and social development – sustainable development, poverty, inclusion, demographics, social sector initiatives etc.
General issues on environmental ecology, bio-diversity and climate change
General science.

Paper 2
Comprehension
Interpersonal skills including communication skills
Logical reasoning and analytical ability
Decision making and problem solving
General mental ability
Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude etc. (Class X level),
Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. –Class X level)
English language comprehension skills (Class X level)

Main Examination syllabus

The compulsory subjects for the Main exam are one Indian language, English, Essay and General studies.
As far as optional papers are concerned, candidates have to choose any two subjects out of the following list
Agriculture Mathematics, Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Mechanical Engineering ,Botany, Medical Science, Chemistry, Philosophy, Civil Engineering, Physics, Commerce,Political Science ,Economics ,Psychology Electrical Engineering Public Administration, Geography, Sociology, Geology, Statistics, Indian,History, Zoology,Law.

Now, for the preliminary exam, you can prepare as per the syllabus.
In the Mains, to prepare for the compulsory papers as well as optional papers, its advisable to refer the study material of IGNOU due to its updated syllabus.

You must also keep in mind that you will have to select any two optional papers but since you are engineering student, you are only allowed to select one engineering subject. The other optional paper should not belong to the engineering stream.

To prepare for the exam, you must practice from the question papers of previous years available on the official website of UPSC.
17th April 2011, 03:40 PM
saswata06

First you should prepare for CSAT(Civil Service Aptitude Test) which is the prelim. round.After qualifying in this round you have to clear some descriptive papers and interview.
The descriptive paper contains: English,GK,Any 2 optional subjects choosen by you.
17th April 2011, 03:59 PM

Tips for IAS Exams

1. Be very particular about the subject you choose for prelims, as you will be appearing for an objective type of paper. History, maths, geography may prove to be very scoring. Choose subjects which have availability of books, reading material and guidance. In recent years engineering subjects like civil and electrical can be chosen, giving BEs and IITians an edge

2. G.K. will definitely pay in your prelims. Reading newspapers, watching TV news and of course quiz shows like KBC is a must.

3. If you have been lucky enough to reach the interview stage book knowledge may not be the only thing you need. Your mental alertness will count as they ask you questions like “How many steps did you walk up to reach here?” or “ What is the colour of the wall behind you ?” - So be prepared.

4. Enhance your personality because it will definitely be one of the criteria for selection. For IPS physical wellbeing is of great importance, you should be medically fit.

5. Improve your communication skills. IFS aspirants must be proficient in at least one foreign language. So go ahead, have your say in this political mess of our country and try to make it a better place.

BEST OF LUCK
17th April 2011, 04:42 PM
maddusajj
Senior Member+++++

hi..
actually there is no computer science subjects in the ias examination,
and also this from this year the pattern of the preliminary exam has changed so you have to be really careful in selecting your subject,
according to me the best option for selecting the subjects would be to choose those subjects whose syllabus overlaps with the general studies paper because in that case your work load would be reduced a little bit ,
also you have to work really hard and taking some sort of coaching will be really help full
raos academy in Hyderabad is one of the best coaching centers for ias in the country .
17th April 2011, 05:43 PM
rahulexam123

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhabalaji View Post
i am doing my engeneering in cse in gokaraju ranga raju institute of engeneering and technology. i want to prepare for IAS examinations . how should i start my preparation and which subjects i should choose for IAS

--> Hey friend,

generally the govt. of different states put the exams for IAs,IPs and IPC officers.. so when the seats will be available from govt. or you can check from google anytime for the vacant seats for ias or ips.

and govt. also give you the online or offline exam date,you need to just refer newspapers daily and fill the particular form when applicable..

on that govt.job website books for refering ias or ips will be given,you just need to download that or take the names just from website or subject names of IAs and purchase it from your nearer book-store.

and cultivate the habbit for checking govt.jobs daily 4 recruitment ok good luck
17th April 2011, 07:55 PM
Umesh vyas
Junior Member+

friend,
You should join a good IAS coaching . Update yourself with latest local national and international issues, you should prepare with a good reference book.
19th April 2011, 04:13 PM
Manish Kumar Tripathi

You need the the directions and syllabus given below as follows-

CSAT syllabus
Paper 1
Indian and World Geography- physical, social, economic geography of India and the world
Indian Polity and governance – constitution, political system, panchayati raj, public policy, Rights issues, etc.
Economic and social development – sustainable development, poverty, inclusion, demographics, social sector initiatives etc.
General science.

Paper 2
Comprehension
General mental ability
Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude etc. (Class X level),
Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. –Class X level)

The compulsory subjects for the Main exam are one Indian language, English, Essay and General studies.
As far as optional papers are concerned, candidates have to choose any two subjects out of the following list
Agriculture Mathematics, Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Mechanical Engineering ,Botany, Medical Science, Chemistry, Philosophy, Civil Engineering, Physics, Commerce,Political Science ,Economics ,Psychology Electrical Engineering Public Administration, Geography, Sociology, Geology, Statistics, Indian,History, Zoology,Law.

In the Mains, to prepare for the compulsory papers as well as optional papers, its advisable to refer the study material of IGNOU due to its updated syllabus.

You must also keep in mind that you will have to select any two optional papers but since you are engineering student, you are only allowed to select one engineering subject. The other optional paper should not belong to the engineering stream.

To prepare for the exam, you must practice from the question papers of previous years available on the official website of UPSC

Read more here: http://entrance-exam.net/forum/general-discussion/how-prepare-ias-subjects-study-123962.html#ixzz1JxbScn6Z
10th May 2011, 04:36 AM
Unregistered

ill complete my MCA this year , i want to take IAS, which will be the best coaching center??
15th May 2011, 02:59 AM
Unregistered

how many hours r spend daily to get a rank in ias
18th May 2011, 01:34 PM
Gita Irudhayaraj
Senior Member+

hi friend,
The examination is divided into two stages
Preliminary Exam- Civil Service Aptitude Test
Main Exam

There won't be any optional paper in the CSAT and you will have to appear for both compulsory papers.
CSAT syllabus
Paper 1
General science.

Paper 2Comprehension
General mental ability

To prepare for the exam, you must practice from the question papers of previous years available on the official website of UPSC.

Also visit:
www.upscportal.com
www.onestopias.com

All the best.
28th May 2011, 02:11 PM
Unregistered

I Am a botany (h) graduate i want to prepare for IAS exam.Which two subjects should I opt for the mains exam?
29th May 2011, 11:41 AM
Unregistered

hi i have done economics and masters in fashion management.i m keen to take up IAS exams. can somebody help me as to how should i go about it and when shd i start? how should i prepare? is it too late to take it this year? please help!
8th June 2011, 11:05 AM
amit gaur054

good morning friend
the method for preparation for IAS you should 1. Read newspaper daily
class 11th atleast.
4.read GK books.
success in IAS.

best of luck
8th June 2011, 01:20 PM
Unregistered

how we should prepare for ias plz tell me
13th June 2011, 01:06 PM
Unregistered

hello,my name is SUMIT SHARMA.i want to appear in the exams of civil services in 2012.i have very good general knowledge base.i want to know from where do i can get the study material for civil services preparations and what are the best institutes available from where can i get coaching?again,i want to let you know that i graduated in 2009 and i have the good hold on history subject also?
21st June 2011, 05:18 PM
Unregistered

how many way conduct mains exam
9th July 2011, 04:05 PM
Unregistered

Post Re: How to prepare for IAS? Subjects to study?

[QUOTE=Unregistered;634406]how many hours r spend daily to get a rank in ias[/QUOT only 5 hrs daily
21st July 2011, 02:38 PM
Unregistered

I am in class 11 with commerce & I want to do IAS with arts? May I. what to do for it
22nd July 2011, 06:44 PM
Unregistered

how can i start the preparation for ias?
10th August 2011, 02:53 PM
Unregistered

a comerce student can give the exam of ias officer
23rd August 2011, 09:21 PM
Unregistered

i m dning b.sc (1st year) from punjabi univercity n plz.. tell me how can i start the IAS preparation and what can i do after b.sc?....the other courses .
4th September 2011, 09:34 AM
sanju38121

For IAS exam study material contact in the coaching centres of Civil services examination. Or on official website of upsc
www.upsc.gov.in

gud luck
10th September 2011, 09:10 PM
Unregistered

Red face Re: How to prepare for IAS? Subjects to study?

bvnvbnvnv
Quote:
12th September 2011, 10:41 PM
Unregistered

Histiry, Geography, Science
imp-Class 6th to 12th, make note & read.
All The Best
13th September 2011, 12:00 AM
fahran

Hi dear,

First you should have complete your graducation and decide your subject
for prelims and mains.

you should 1. Read newspaper daily
class 11th atleast.
4.read GK books.
success in IAS.

Thanks
13th September 2011, 04:11 AM
vishal jaybhaye
Senior Member+

dear friend ,

you have mentioned that you are the student of the engineering and you are in the process of the graduation completion.

you can start the primary preparation for the ias exam by reading the newspaper , knowing about the current affairs , general knowledge and studying your branch subject in deep because one of your branch subject maybe the optional subject for the ias exam.

to attempt the ias exam the minimum requirement is the completion of the graduation.
and the age limit criteria is 21 to 30 years.
21 to 33 for the obc category candidates and 21 to 35 for the sc/st category candidates.

ias exam is mainly consist of the 3 parts
1) preliminary exam
2) main exam
3) interview

according to the overall score in the ias exam the overall all india rank is determined.
all these three parts of the exam are dependant on each other .

like if you score the descent marks in the preliminary exam then you will be called or eligible for the main exam.

for the more detailed information about the ias exam and to know about the latest notifications of the ias exam kindly visit the website www.upsc.gov.in

thanks and best luck
13th September 2011, 05:22 PM
kartik41
Senior Member+++

Sir,
Be very particular about the subject you choose for prelims, . ... You will be auto-sent a link to download the IAS Past Papers & Model ... How to Prepare for IAS .... tips for ias exam.
Thanks,
13th September 2011, 05:39 PM
Snehamay ganguly
Senior Member+++++

dear friend,
IAS exam is a civil service exam, which is conducted by UPSC every year..

The examination pattern is as under :-

The examination is conducted in two stage:-

1. Civil Services Preliminary Examination or Civil Services Aptitude Test(CSAT):-

This a common exam based on General Studies, comprehension skill, verbal and
quantitative aptitude and communication skills.

2.Main Examination and Personal interview:-

Those who qualify Preliminary round appear for Main examination.
Those who qualify Main examination are called for Interview.
The marks of Main examination and Interview are sum up to prepare the final merit list.
The Main examination comprise of following papers.
Essay type Indian Language Qualifying Paper (300 marks)
English Qualifying Paper (300 marks)
General Essay type paper (200 marks)
General Studies(Paper-I&II 300 marks each)
Optional subject-I(Paper-I&II 300 marks each)
Optional subject-II(Paper-I&II 300 marks each)

Interview: 300 marks.

The list of optional subject is as follow:
Agriculture
Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science
Anthropology
Botany
Chemistry
Civil Engineering
Commerce and Accountancy
Economics
Electrical Engineering
Geography
Geology
History
Law
Management
Mathematics
Mechanical Engineering
Medical Science
Philosophy
Physics
Political Science and International Relations
Psychology
Public Administration
Sociology
Statistics
Zoology

You have to choose any of the two subjects in the above mentioned subjects.
So, prepare yourself in those two subjects..
Beside this you must have a vast general knowledge , for that you have to read newspaper daily..
Try to keep in touch with all the latest events those are held in our country..
This will help you very much..
All the best.
14th September 2011, 12:02 AM
nitz90
Senior Member+++++

Smile Re: How to prepare for IAS? Subjects to study?

Quote:
Preparation for IAS exam

According to the UPSC guidelines..the following students can appear for the Civil Service Exams

1) A candidate must be a graduate from a recognized college

2) He/she should be within the age limit of 21-30 years for general category..less than 33 years for OBC and less than 35 years for SC/ST..

there are a maximum of 4 attempts for general, 7 for OBC and no limit for SC/ST

there are 2 rounds for clearing this exams..

1) Prelims :- this round has two papers and will test your aptitude,current affairs and general knowledge..

2) Mains :- After clearing the Prelims,you will have to clear the Mains which will test your knowledge of your graduation subjects hence it would be advisable to choose those subjects in which you have a very strong grip and you know very well about them..

if you clear both the exams then you will be called for the interview..

all the best..

~Hope this helps.. ~

With Warm Regards
"Nitz"
21st September 2011, 06:44 PM
dil-jale

for the ias exam by reading the newspaper , knowing about the current affairs , general knowledge and studying your branch subject in deep because one of your branch subject maybe the optional subject for the ias exam.

to attempt the ias exam the minimum requirement is the completion of the graduation.

Make notes of your ncert books from class 6th to class 12th for
for all subjects geo and history and civics you read bookks of class 8 to 12th.
class 11th atleast.
you read GK books daily.

thanks
21st September 2011, 09:55 PM
peterpan10
Senior Member+

IAS Eligibility :

Academic Qualification :
The candidate must be graduate from any university.

Age Limit :
ForGeneral :21 to 30 years.

No Of Attempts :

General : 4.
SC/ST: Unlimited.
OBC :7.
22nd September 2011, 12:56 PM
Bishwajit Giri
Senior Member+++++

IAS (Indian Administrative Services) is basically for those who are firmly determined for dedication of themselves towards the own country.

If you are so interested for IAS,after being Engineers, Doctors, or Ph.d you can sit IAS exam conducted by UPSC.

Application forms will come out in the month of January.

According to the new exam pattern of the IAS exam

1) General-Studies paper which carries 150 marks

2) Optional paper which carries 150 marks.

Eligibility Criteria :-

1.Educational Qualification:To appear in IAS exam you should have a Graduation degree in any stream from a recognize University. If you are in final year you can also eligible to apply for the examination.

2.Age:The age must be between 21 to 30 years at the time of appearing of this examination. The age relaxation is also applicable for the candidates belong to reservation category.

No.Of Attemptes:

General Candidates - 4 Attempts

OBC Candidates - 7 Attempts

SC/ST Candidates - No Limits.

The General Studies paper and one Optional paper both the papers are the compulsory paper.

according to the list of optional paper are as:
1) Psychology

2) Commerce and Accountancy

3) History

4) Geography

5) Physics

6) Medical Science

7) Law

8) Mathematics

9) Mechanical Engineering

10) Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science

11) Public Administration

12) Agriculture

13) Sociology

14) Botany

15) Chemistry

16) Geology

17) Electrical Engineering

18) Civil Engineering

19) Economics

20) Philosophy

21) Zoology

22) Political Science

23) Statistics

for some questions or subjects follow the link:http://www.iupsc.com/label/ias/
22nd September 2011, 07:45 PM
dil-jale

or the ias exam by reading the newspaper , knowing about the current affairs , general knowledge and studying your branch subject in deep because one of your branch subject maybe the optional subject for the ias exam.

Make notes of your ncert books from class 6th to class 12th for
for all subjects geo and history and civics you read bookks of class 8 to 12th.
class 11th atleast.
you read GK books daily.

Eligibility Criteria :-

1.Educational Qualification:To appear in IAS exam you should have a Graduation degree in any stream from a recognize University. If you are in final year you can also eligible to apply for the examination.

2.Age:The age must be between 21 to 30 years at the time of appearing of this examination. The age relaxation is also applicable for the candidates belong to reservation category.

thanks
29th December 2011, 09:29 PM
Unregistered

how to be a lecturer in govt college
25th January 2012, 01:38 PM
Unregistered

sir iam student of polscci hons in last years
i attant in ias exam
25th January 2012, 04:31 PM
pops07
Senior Member+++++

IAS is an exam that makes you to enter into the competative world and make you to get the top posts such as DC and DSP and ACP so on..

You can take any course as your graduation course.

Because to become an IAS you should have completed your graduation first in any stream from any recognized university....that is the only educational criteria....then take a look at the following things.
* Final year students of graduation can also apply.

1. Your age should be between 21 years and 30 years....the age is calculated on the basis of 1st of August of the year applying for it.
[33 years for SC/ST]

2. Should be a citizen of India.

You should have good knowledge in current affairs and social issues.
[Because you need to have very strong in that]

So if you fulfill the above conditions, you can easily crack IAS exam.

official website-- http://www.upsc.gov.in

The Exam is basically divided into two parts...

1. Preliminary
2. Main

In Preliminary, 2 papers are there...

Each paper carry 200 marks and duration is 2 hours.

The subjects in Paper 1 are:

• Current events of national and international importance

• History of India and Indian National Movement

• Indian and World Geography - Physical, Social, Economic geography

of India and the World.

• Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System,

Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.

• Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development,

Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc.

• General issues on Environmental ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate

Change - that do not require subject specialization

• General Science.

The subjects in paper 2 are:

• Comprehension

• Interpersonal skills including communication skills;

• Logical reasoning and analytical ability

• Decision making and problem solving

• General mental ability

• Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude

etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data

sufficiency etc. -Class X level)

• English Language Comprehension skills (Class X level).

• Questions relating to English Language Comprehension skills of Class X level

(last item in the Syllabus of Paper-II) will be tested through passages from

English language only without providing Hindi translation thereof in the question

paper.

• The questions will be of multiple choice, objective type.

In main exam you have to select the optional subjects from the following:

Agriculture,
Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science,
Botany,
Chemistry,
Civil Engineering,
Commerce and Accountancy,
Economics,
Electrical Engineering,
Geography,
Geology,
History,
Law,
Management,
Mathematics,
Mechanical Engineering,
Medical Science,
Philosophy,
Physics,
Political Science and International Relations,
Psychology,
Public Administration,
Sociology,
Statistics,
Zoology.

Literatures:

Arabic, Assamese, Bengali, Chinese, English, French, German, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Kashmiri, Konkani, Marathi, Malayalam, Manipuri, Nepali, Oriya, Pali, Persian, Punjabi, Russian, Sanskrit, Sindhi, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu.

Any two subjects (each having 2 papers) to be selected from the prescribed optional subjects.

Each paper is of 3 hours duration.

The following combinations are not allowed:

Political Science & International Relations and Public Administration
Commerce and Management
Anthropology and Sociology
Maths and Statistics
Agriculture and Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
Management and Public Administration
Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science and Medical Science
Any two branches of engineering.
Combination of two literatures in the above list.

Remember, whatever background you have come from, it is not that you have to choose subjects from that background too.

You can choose subjects in which you have good knowledge, no matter whether it is your course subject or not.

Be confident what you choose...

You should those subjects in which you know that you can score good marks.

those subjects which you love to learn and have very much interest.
25th January 2012, 05:15 PM
jacobs
Senior Member++++

Dear friend,
If you are interested in IAS examination,
Then you will have to fulfill these criteria :

IAS Eligibility :

Academic Qualification :
The candidate must be graduate from any university.

Age Limit :
ForGeneral :21 to 30 years.[SC/ST will get 5 years age relaxation and OBC will get 3 year age relaxation]

No Of Attempts :
General : 4.
SC/ST: Unlimited.
OBC :7.

You can see these books below :

For more you can see these attachments below:
26th January 2012, 11:41 AM
Unregistered

i am student for S.Y.Bcom my deream is to IAS fofficer . what to do . how to prepare study ? which subject are include in no knowledge of study so please guide me.
6th February 2012, 09:54 PM
Ashwinkumar Hallikar

these are the subjects to study which you have taken

UPSC Main Examination - Optional Subjects

General Studies
Essay
English Qualifying
Indian Languages
Mathematics
Agriculture
Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
Botany
Chemistry
Civil Engineering
Commerce
Economics
Electrical Engineering
Geography
Geology
Indian History
Law
Mathematics
Management
Mechanical Engineering
Medical Science
Philosophy
Physics
Political Science
Psychology
Public Administration
Sociology
Statistics
Zoology
Anthropology

Arabic
Assamese
Bengali
Bodo
Chinese
Dogri
English
French
German
Gujarati
Hindi
Kannada
Kashmiri
Konkani
Maithili
Malayalam
Manipuri
Marathi
Nepali
Oriya
Pali
Persian
Punjabi
Russian
Sanskrit
Santali
Sindhi
Tamil
Telugu
Urdu
6th February 2012, 09:56 PM
Ashwinkumar Hallikar

these are the subjects to study which you have taken

UPSC Main Examination - Optional Subjects

General Studies
Essay
English Qualifying
Indian Languages
Mathematics
Agriculture
Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
Botany
Chemistry
Civil Engineering
Commerce
Economics
Electrical Engineering
Geography
Geology
Indian History
Law
Mathematics
Management
Mechanical Engineering
Medical Science
Philosophy
Physics
Political Science
Psychology
Public Administration
Sociology
Statistics
Zoology
Anthropology

Arabic
Assamese
Bengali
Bodo
Chinese
Dogri
English
French
German
Gujarati
Hindi
Kannada
Kashmiri
Konkani
Maithili
Malayalam
Manipuri
Marathi
Nepali
Oriya
Pali
Persian
Punjabi
Russian
Sanskrit
Santali
Sindhi
Tamil
Telugu
Urdu
19th March 2012, 01:57 PM
Unregistered

Hello,
I have done my B.tech in Electronics & Communication, I want to prepare for IAS Exam.I am thinking to choose Electrical engineering and Mathematics as optional subjects because I have seen their syllabus and most of the topics matches with my enginnerin topics.
Kindly tell me is this combination scoring and what challenges i would likely to face if i choose these subjects.
Also guide me about other scoring combination of subjects which i can choose.

Thanks,
Tushar
12th June 2013, 01:02 PM
Unregistered

Hello,
I have passed out ssc board xam. I want to prepare for IAS than which field should i choose for 11th please tell me...
12th June 2013, 01:05 PM
Unregistered

Hello,
I have just passed out ssc xamination plz suggest me that which filed should i choose for 11th as i also want to prepare for IAS
24th August 2013, 11:27 PM
Unregistered

hi myself S.NARMADHA.i am doing my studies in kalasalingam university near by sirivilliputtur.Most of the time i used to think about IAS to study because wanted to know all around my happinings and all the old and oldest history but i used to forget all which is most important i dont no why .give me suggestion about this???????????????/
4th September 2021, 12:36 PM
Minal F

IAS eligibility:-

Candidates must have a graduation degree from a recogniszed university.

Age limit- 21 to 32 years

Nationality- Indian For IPS and IAS.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?