23rd May 2012, 11:58 PM
Unregistered

How should I start preparation for GATE exam? I am a civil engineering student of 2nd year

hi... i m a civil engineering student in 2nd year. could u please tell how i should start prepration for gate exam

Related Questions:
24th May 2012, 08:13 AM
imira
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: How should I start preparation for GATE exam? I am a civil engineering student of 2nd year

This is the right time to start preparation for the exam. You need to first of all make a note of the syllabus of the exam from IIT site. Based on this prepare a timetable. You need to make sure that you devote sufficient time for each topic. You may need to revise the timetable incase you find time allocated for any topic insufficient. Allocate one day in a week to revise all that you have learnt. You can revise by solving questions related to these areas.
31st May 2012, 11:26 PM
ranjeet250490
Senior Member++++

Arrow Re: How should I start preparation for GATE exam? I am a civil engineering student of 2nd year

Hi

GATE stands for the Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering

This is conducted by the IIT's every year to select candidates for the various M.Tech colleges and also for the purpose of the PSU Recruitment's.

Since you are from Civil Engineering, I must suggest you that if you want to prepare for the GATE Exam, 3rd year is the best time. However if you want to start early, You can do so right from the 2nd year.

To know about the GATE Civil Engineering Syllabus, Please CLICK HERE

Now in GATE, basically questions come from the 2nd, 3rd and 4th year of your Engineering Syllabus. So you need to cover the whole syllabus and all the topics one by one.

You can do it slowly, as you have plenty of time. You can grasp the concepts and also learn them as well. GATE is not difficult, but the syllabus is very vast.
Keep yourself away from distractions and also do not waste much time. GATE preparations require a lot of dedications and so you have to have strong Will Power.

Make a time table and follow it regularly to study and give time to all the subjects equally.
Try to do these, and I am sure you will benefit.

All the best

Regards
RANJEET
31st May 2012, 11:55 PM
bodhigyan
Senior Member+

Thumbs up Re: How should I start preparation for GATE exam? I am a civil engineering student of 2nd year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hi... i m a civil engineering student in 2nd year. could u please tell how i should start prepration for gate exam
hi dear

just start preparing from now onwards, start maintaining and making ur notes according to your GATE syllabus now, which can be easily revised at the time of ur gate exam session, all it depends on u how u prepare for it, in my opinion most of the gate crackers prepare themselves judt they consider the sample papers and refer good books,good luck
1st June 2012, 12:49 AM
sunilpati
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: How should I start preparation for GATE exam? I am a civil engineering student of 2nd year

The list of best books from where you can prepare for your exam...

Good luck......
1st June 2012, 12:50 AM
Sayyed Shahrukh

Thumbs up Re: How should I start preparation for GATE exam? I am a civil engineering student of 2nd year

HEllo Friend......

GATE stands for the Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering.

This is conducted by the IIT's every year to select candidates for the various M.Tech colleges and also for the purpose of the PSU Recruitment's.

Make a time table and follow it regularly to study and give time to all the subjects equally.
Try to do these, and I am sure you will benefit.

Now in GATE, basically questions come from the 2nd, 3rd and 4th year of your Engineering Syllabus. So you need to cover the whole syllabus and all the topics one by one.

Best Of Luck
Do well and Crack Exams....
Thank YOu!!!!1
6th June 2012, 05:56 PM
Unregistered

can marine engineering students applicable for gate entrance exams ?
12th June 2012, 12:48 AM
Unregistered

Sir! I have wasted a lot of time in my first year of b.tech. Civil engineering. I dnt knw anythng abt the topics of mechanics and mathematics.. Do i need to prepare from the 1st year books. Plz reply sir! I wnt to qualify the gate examination.
12th June 2012, 05:58 PM
ne moham

from now on words you have to start your preparation its the good time
11th July 2012, 12:07 PM
Unregistered

I am doing b-tech in ECE,have just stepped on 3rd year so on which sectors I should mostly give my efforts for the GATE exams? kindly explain. thank you.
2nd October 2012, 12:19 PM
Unregistered

what are the benefits of giving gate exam? shall I get directly jobs if I get qualify in gate exams? what are such jobs?
2nd October 2012, 08:17 PM
violent viper

HAI DUDE,

Gate exam requires clarity in fundamentals.
The basic thing is first you must be clear with the Btech course concepts.
Gate deals with the advance version of Btech. Try covering the topics one by one and then solve the questions for the particular topics.
If possible, get yourself enrolled in a Gate crash course exam. And just give the VSTs out there.
The more you give the test, you shall be more acquinted with the gate question pattern.

2nd October 2012, 08:30 PM
violent viper

HAI DUDE,

Gate exam requires clarity in fundamentals.
The basic thing is first you must be clear with the Btech course concepts.
Gate deals with the advance version of Btech. Try covering the topics one by one and then solve the questions for the particular topics.
If possible, get yourself enrolled in a Gate crash course exam. And just give the VSTs out there.
The more you give the test, you shall be more acquinted with the gate question pattern.

10th December 2012, 09:08 PM
Unregistered

how i should prepare for gate exam as iam civil engg 3rd year
19th April 2013, 12:08 AM
Unregistered

can marine engineer give GATE or IES exams??
16th May 2013, 03:28 AM
Unregistered

how should i start preparation for gate exam? i am student of civil engg. student of 1st year.
1st June 2013, 10:10 PM
Unregistered

Which exams we should give to go for abroad studies in engineering?
20th July 2013, 01:35 AM
Unregistered

hi i'm a civil engg student(3rd yr) and i want to start my preption for gate ,plz suggest me hw i complt my preparation along focussing my regular b.tech exam
20th July 2013, 09:37 AM
lvnareshsunrise
Senior Member+++++

GATE stands for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. This is a entrance exam for the candidates to get admission into M.Tech course after completion of B.Tech course.

This exam is conducted by various IITs together.

Before going to provide information about this exam, I would like to tell you one thing.

Go for the job opportunity after completion of B.Tech in Civil Engineering rather than opting for M.Tech course.

If you get job in top company, join the same and you can do M.Tech course in distance education also,that is not a problem.

But starting preparation is not at all a bad thing.

It will benefit you in following ways
-You can get good grip on subject through which you can complete your academics successfully.
-Your preparation for GATE Exam also will be going on simultaneously.
-If you want to go for any job opportunity, in the technical round of selection procedure it will be very useful. You don't need to prepare for the technical round again.

As you are in the 2nd year of your Engineering course, this is the best time for you to star the preparation for GATE Exam.

One should have completed Graduation in Engineering with any of the stream in order to be eligible for this exam.

There is no specific age limit required for the candidates to join this course.

You can take this exam in the final year of your Engineering course itself.

The validity of GATE Exam score is 2 years in the sense if you appear for GATE Exam in 2 consecutive years, you can use any of the 2 score cards of GATE Exam (whichever is best) to get admission for this course.

This year, purchase some books for GATE Exam and practice the questions and know the way the questions are being asked.

In the next year, take coaching for this exam. Practice the questions in both manners (GATE Exam style and for your academics).

Practice previous year question papers and model papers also. This will give you good practice for the exam.

By the time you appear for GATE exam, try to be perfect with all the syllabus for GATE Exam.

Repeated practice will make you perfect in any area. Try to be good enough in this.

Wish you all the best.
20th July 2013, 06:12 PM
anuragkumarjeemains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hi i'm a civil engg student(3rd yr) and i want to start my preption for gate ,plz suggest me hw i complt my preparation along focussing my regular b.tech exam
The amount of aspirants appearing for the GATE exam is increasing each & every year to a large extent. This is because of significant decline in the job opportunities for freshers at present and pursuing higher education is constantly an attribute in cap and endows with better pay prospects. Another cause for this vast flow of aspirants appearing for GATE exam in recent time is features to maximum of the PSUs (public sector units) recognizes GATE marks and calls aspirants on the basis of GATE marks for interviews.

There is no requirement of preparing separately for the GATE EXAM, if you pursue your university’s educational work well, then that’s more than sufficient. The preparation for the GATE exam should not be initiated in 4th or 3rdyear of graduation. Instead it must be started in the 1st year of college. Reading text books and cracking math problems at the reverse of each lesson has to be developed as a habit. This kind of practice gives you solid foundation not just for GATE exam but also for any kind of entrance exam.

Careful preparation is the answer to GATE examination. A number of the domains where you can gain extra marks consist of:
Power Electronics
Measurements
Control Systems
Power System Stability and T&D
Electrical Machines
These domains have to be focused and in-depth homework in these domains will aid you to achieve good marks. In GATE examination you’re not expected to attempt all sixty questions. If you can attempt just thirty to forty questions on an average with high accuracy you’ll surely succeed in GATE Examination with high scores.

Similar to any examination it includes a blend of simple, tricky, and extremely hard questions. In GATE examination time thing is not a big criterion. Sufficient quantity of time is offered to attempt the questions. So it’ll be advantageous to attempt the questions in two to three rounds. In round one, complete question paper has to be examined and simple and extremely simple questions (easy theory questions and small mathematical problems) should be solved. In round two & three tricky questions has to be faced and solved.

In GATE examination it is not vital, what amount of questions you attempted but what number of questions you correctly attempted. It has to be kept in wits that negative scoring plays a significant part in marking process. When you don’t comprehend any question it is not wise to attempt such questions as lots of times it may lead you to negative scoring. You test your luck by attempting simple question which contain small marks.
You have pretty much summed up a lot here. GATE exams is truly about clearing your concepts and applying those concepts I believe. I found this online test which could be useful for others to practice.
26th July 2013, 12:23 AM
Unregistered

Sir... I m in 2 year civil engineering... Please suggest me books for GATE preparation..like of surveying, fluid mech. ,strength of materials, material construction. Etc... Or email me at [email protected].. Pls urgently...
23rd August 2013, 10:42 PM
Unregistered

Hi im fourth year civil engineering student. I wasted my three years engineering without preparing for gate exam. I don't have much time for preparation so in this short time how should prepare for gate kindly suggest me and reply
27th October 2013, 12:56 AM
Unregistered

How to crack GATE exam
after studying 2nd year civil
engineering student
i am a 2nd year civil engineering
student and i want to crack the gate
exam.please give me some advise...
31st July 2015, 03:21 PM
Unregistered

hi, I am student of 2nd yer engineering .... I want to start preparation for gate exam. I want clear text book's for my gate preparation.......please list some of best books available ...ur advises are always accepted.............u can suggest me at [email protected]
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?