CS vs. ICWAI - Which course is better?
Company secretary is a professional course conducted by the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI). Institute of Cost and Works Accountants is a course related to Finance, which gives much emphasis on the area of Cost Accounting. These courses enable individuals to grab challenging jobs in well-reputed firms both in India as well as abroad. They can work under both public and private sector enterprises.
An ICWAI professional can obtain jobs as
- Account Administrator
- Account Analyst
- Account Planner
- Account Reconcilator
- Account Specialist
- Account Supervisors
- Accounting Assistant
- Accounting Clerk
- Accounting Coordinator
- Accounting Manager
- Finance Manager
- Internal Auditor
A CS degree holder can find jobs in
- Accountancy and solicitor’s firms
- Bank and building societies
- Employer’s cooperatives
- Housing associations
- Insurance companies
- Investment sectors
- Trade bodies
The ICWAI course is divided into three phases of study. The first part is the foundation course. The minimum qualification required for the foundation program is a pass in 10+2 intermediate exam. Those aspirants who are awaiting results of the XII class exam are also eligible to apply for the foundation course. Those who have passed the foundation course are eligible to get in to the intermediate course. Those candidates having graduation can directly appear for the intermediate course. After clearing through all these intermediate phases a student can get in to final phase of ICWAI.
Those who have completed 10 + 2 intermediate degree in any stream from a recognized Board can apply for Company Secretary Ship. Company secretaries are appointed in all Companies where the paid up capital is above 50 lakhs. The Company Secretary performs the role of an intermediate. They act as a bridge between the Company and its Board of Directors, the government, shareholders and regulatory authorities. The Company secretary also plays the role of a corporate planner and grievance handler. Due to the above-mentioned facts, there arise a lot of job opportunities to CS professionals in organizations. They are appointed with high remuneration both in India as well as abroad.
Key differentiators between two courses
- CS mainly deals with the corporate affairs of a Company whereas ICWAI deals solely with the financial aspects of an organization.
- Job opportunities and the nature of jobs are different for CS and CA job profiles.
Which Course is better?
Both the courses are beneficial in their own ways. Those who are interested to work in financial sector can go for ICWAI course where as those interested to work as an intermediate between Company and corporate can get in to CS course. Anyway, both are prestigious jobs offering better career growth and high remuneration to candidates.
- ICWAI Capital Market Analysis and Corporate Laws Papers
- ICWAI Financial Accounting Papers
- ICWAI Operation Management and Information System Papers
- ICWAI Cost And Management Accounting Papers
- ICWAI Commercial and Industrial Law and Auditing Papers
- ICWAI Applied Direct Taxation Papers
- CFA v/s ICWAI - Which course is better?
- Scope after ICWAI
- ICWAI after 12th
- Difference between CFA and ICWAI
- ICWAI Applied Indirect Taxation papers
- CA or ICWAI-Which course is better?
- ICWAI 2011
- ICWA Coaching Institutes
- Director, Joint Director, The Institute of Cost and Works Accountants of India