1st May 2016, 02:38 PM
Unregistered

How can I claim Tax Rebate against an Education Loan for my sister's education taken by my father?

Hello,
My father has taken Education Loan from Union Bank for my sister's education. Now I am repaying the amount to the Bank. The Loan basically in on My father and sister's name combined. Now how can I claim tax rebate for the interest that I've been paying.

Related Questions:
  1. How can I claim Tax Rebate on Education Loan taken by my father for my brother’s education?
  2. How to claim Tax Rebate on Education Loan of my brother taken by my father?
  3. How can I claim for Tax Rebate against Education Loan taken by my Father-in-Law for my wife's education?
  4. How can I claim Tax Rebate against an Education Loan for my sister's education taken by my father? -- [New]
  5. How can I claim Tax Rebate on Education Loan taken by my Father-In-Law for my wife's education?
  6. How can I claim Tax Rebate on Education Loan taken by my Father-In-Law for my wife's education?
  7. Can I claim tax rebate if education loan was taken by my father from Union Bank?
  8. How can I claim Tax Rebate of my sister's education loan taken by my brother?
  9. Is there any way of Tax Rebate against Education Loan of Rs. 305000?
  10. Can I claim Tax Rebate against an Education Loan being an employee of Tata Motors?
  11. Between Principal and Interest amount on which I can claim Tax rebate on Education Loan?
  12. How much amount to be claimed in Income Tax Rebate against an Education Loan of Rs. 10 Lacs?
  13. Can I get Tax Rebate against Education Loan if paying interest of Rs. 12947 per month?
  14. Need information about Tax Rebate provided against Education Loan? -- [Most Discussed]
  15. Maximum amount to be claimed for Tax Rebate against Education Loan of Rs. 400000?
  16. Am I eligible to get Tax Rebate against education loan for my brother's education?
  17. Can I get Tax Rebate against Education Loan of Rs. 6.2 Lacs if working in CCL?
  18. Detailed information about Tax Rebate against Education Loan of Rs. 2.2 Lacs from United Bank of India?
10th May 2016, 08:23 AM
SudeepKumarSaha
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: How can I claim Tax Rebate against an Education Loan for my sister's education taken by my father?

I am extremely sorry to state that you cannot apply for tax rebate on the basis of your repayment of education loan. This is because the loan is not sanctioned on your name. Even though you are repaying but as per income tax law you can get tax exemption only in the scenario when education loan is sanctioned under your name and you give a proof from the concerned bank.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?