26th August 2015, 01:50 PM
Unregistered

Detailed information about Tax Rebate against Education Loan of Rs. 2.2 Lacs from United Bank of India?

Sir,
My name Sohaan Kaushik and I am working in CCL. I have taken an Education Loan of Rs. 2.2 Lacs from United Bank of India for my son who is pursuing MBA from Symbiosis. I have heard about Tax Rebate from one of my colleague. Can you tell me about this in details.

Related Questions:
  1. Need information about Tax Rebate provided against Education Loan? -- [New]
  2. Can I get Tax Rebate against Education Loan of Rs. 6.2 Lacs if working in CCL?
  3. Can I apply for Education Loan from 2 Banks of Rs. 22 Lacs to study in Australia? Detailed information about Margin of Education Loan?
  4. Does Banks demand Collateral securities against Education Loan of upto Rs. 4 Lacs except SBI? -- [Most Discussed]
  5. Can I get Tax Rebate against Education Loan if paying interest of Rs. 12947 per month?
  6. How can I claim for Tax Rebate against Education Loan taken by my Father-in-Law for my wife's education?
  7. Which Bank can provide me another Education Loan of Rs. 7 Lacs for Higher Education if already taken Education Loan of Rs. 15 Lacs?
  8. Which Bank sponsored Education Loan of Rs. 18 Lacs to study MS in India? Documents required to apply?
  9. Detailed information about Margin and Repayment of Loan terms available in Bank Education Loan scheme?
  10. Maximum amount to be claimed for Tax Rebate against Education Loan of Rs. 400000?
  11. Can I apply for Bank Education Loan of Rs. 12 Lacs if taking Personal Loan of Rs. 1 Lacs and having Credit card bill of Rs. 1 Lacs?
  12. Is there any way of Tax Rebate against Education Loan of Rs. 305000?
  13. Can I get Bank Education Loan of Rs. 20 Lacs to study MS in USA if my mother is a retired Government School Teacher and having own house of Rs. 50 Lacs?
  14. List of Banks which offer Education Loan of Rs. 16 Lacs for Commercial Pilot Training?
  15. List of Banks which offer Education Loan of Rs. 9 Lacs to study in Newzealand?
  16. Can I apply for Education Loan for higher education if completed B.E. with Bank Education Loan?
  17. Which Bank provides Education Loan of Rs. 8 Lacs to study MBA? Documents required to submit?
  18. Possibility to get Education Loan of Rs. 12 Lacs to study in Abroad for a candidate who has taken Personal Loan and having Credit Card with HDFC Salary Bank Account?
6th April 2023, 07:39 AM
SheldonPatrickEverson

Default Re: Detailed information about Tax Rebate against Education Loan of Rs. 2.2 Lacs from United Bank of India?

Dear Sohaan Kaushik, Yes, you are eligible for tax rebate on the interest paid on your education loan from United Bank of India. Here are the details:

- Under Section 80E of the Income Tax Act, 1961, you can claim a deduction for the interest paid on your education loan. This deduction is available only for individuals, not for companies or firms.
- The deduction is available for a maximum of 8 years or until the interest is fully repaid, whichever is earlier.
- You can claim the deduction only for the interest component of your EMI, not for the principal repayment.
- There is no limit on the amount of deduction you can claim, as long as it is for the interest paid on your education loan.
- The deduction is available only for loans taken for higher education, i.e. after passing the senior secondary examination or its equivalent.
- Higher education includes courses pursued after graduation, post-graduate courses, and professional courses like engineering, management, medicine, etc.
- The loan should have been taken from a bank or financial institution approved by the government for this purpose. United Bank of India is one such approved institution.
- You can claim the deduction in your income tax return for the relevant assessment year. For example, if you paid interest on your education loan in the financial year 2020-21, you can claim the deduction in your income tax return for the assessment year 2021-22.

To claim the deduction, you need to keep the following documents:

- Loan agreement or sanction letter from the bank or financial institution
- Interest certificate or statement from the bank or financial institution showing the amount of interest paid during the financial year
- Receipts or bank statements showing the EMI payments made towards the loan

I hope this information helps you in claiming the tax rebate on your education loan. Do consult a tax expert or chartered accountant for further guidance on this matter.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?