16th April 2014, 10:03 PM
Unregistered

Scholarship programs for Ph.D candidate? Why scholarship rates remain higher for backward communities?

I do not belong to any SC/ST category so I cannot apply Rajiv Gandhi Scholarship. And I am just only NET and not a JRF student. So I wanted to know is there any facility where I can financed myself in doing my research, like scholarship granted by the government of India? And one more thing why is the scholarship rate always higher for SC/ST students than general and OBC students? Why is the difference?

10th May 2014, 10:01 PM
ExpertAnswers
Senior Member+++

Default Re: Scholarship programs for Ph.D candidate? Why scholarship rates remain higher for backward communities?

Yes. You are right in saying that always the scholarship and/or any kind of financial aids received from government to the Scheduled caste or the Scheduled Tribe has higher rates than the same received by the general students. It has been since long the tradition because in previous times the SC/ST or OBCs were downtrodden and the most backward group of society.

So it was a mode of help to these students who are unable to complete their studies because of historical and background poor. but it gradually over the years took the form of reservation and it made the general category students suffer. Anyways jokes apart, but the system was made to uplift the downtrodden and backward group of people and they get the financial aid s so that it is for their benefit. similar kind of aids or grants is available now to all classes of people provided you are bright in studies and have continued till date in studies for a long time.

Now coming to your question. I see that you have mentioned that you are just NET candidate but not qualified JRF so did not receive any kind of financial help from the government. So what you can do is apply for the PHD scholarships or financial aids given by your university to PHD students. every university has this facility.
2nd May 2015, 02:32 PM
Unregistered

Default Re: Scholarship programs for Ph.D candidate? Why scholarship rates remain higher for backward communities?

I'm doing Ph.D.,in commerce at tamilnadu RGNF has 2000 slots all over india is it enough?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?