10th August 2010, 11:42 PM
meenarani

Can I prepare myself for GATE exam by self study?

I want to know that , is it possible to clear the GATE exam by self study.By which I can take admission in an IIT's colleges.
And what is the minimum percentile require to clear the GATE exam . And to get admissions in IIT's how much minimum percentile are require.

11th August 2010, 12:37 AM
adityabhushan

Default Re: Can I prepare myself for GATE exam by self study?

yes ofcourse you can crack gate by self study if you have stong will power and self confidence.
actually, you can easily crack if you give little of your time for this but in regular manner .

since syllabus for the gate and your studies are quiet same.
so you can do prepare while studying only.
just be confident, and i hope you must crack it.

for iitjee, you must have to score above 90 percentile then only you can think about iits.

so work hard.
hope you will do better.

regards
aditya.
11th August 2010, 01:08 AM
rahul k
Senior Member+++++

dear friend

GATE exams are not easy, yes you have to clear this exams by self study. But for this you have to give your lots of efforts in study. In GATE exams, there will be negative marking for wrong answer.

So, if possible please join some coaching centre and keep focous on your basics and solve previous year papers of GATE exams. Then you will get acheive a good marks in GATE exams to get a colleges like IIT's.

The pattern of the GATE exam and the syllabus are also based on the B.Tech. or BE syllabus. So, please work hard according to the syllabus, you will definately get sucess in your GATE exams. To get admission in IIT's, you have to scored more than 95% marks in your GATE exams.

S
11th August 2010, 01:22 AM
mini rani
Senior Member++

HI!

Of course you can crack GATE with self study. If you are hardworking, passionate, confident of yourself & guided in the right direction you can crack any exam.

Some of the tips for preparing GATE Exam are:

Collection of quality books.
Solve previous years’ GATE papers
Take up an all India test series which gives you your percentile and All India Rank.
Analyzing your test results is a very important part of taking the test.
11th August 2010, 01:28 AM
sparkle
Senior Member+++

Hello friend,

If you have enough self-confidence that you can make sound preparation of this exam then you can really rely on self-study.

You must have knowledge of how much competitive exam it has become...

Each year thousands of graduate students from B.Tech and also Master's degree holders from general science background sit for this exam to study M.Tech in reputed IITs.

And the syllabus is also quite vast irrespective of branches. You have to have deep concept of topics covered in the syllabus.

There are many study materials available these days for GATE exam . To prepare yourself,you can have these from nearby book stores and even online resources.

So it totally depends on you whether you need coaching or something like that for the preparation..

Well the minimum percentile required for appearing at GATE is at least 60% in graduation.

Wish you good luck!
11th August 2010, 02:45 AM
vike
Senior Member+++++

Dear friend
Any exam you can qualify on your own but the fact is that you should be good at your subject knowledge. As far as GATE is concerned it totally depends on your graduation degree so you can do it by covering the syllabus by yourself.
If you are aspiring for IITs for your post graduation you should score at least 96 percentile. But it is not only percentile that matters for admission to Mtech programs in IITs. You should also have more than 7.5 CGPA and the chances are good if your CGPA is more than 8.0.
11th August 2010, 01:07 PM
ravi k
Senior Member+

dear frnd,

ofcourse you can.

but you have to do work hard, and study properly with best books like...

your text books, GATE by handa publication..

all d best..
11th August 2010, 01:21 PM
solution
Senior Member++++

hello dear

definately if you clear idea about your departmental papers.

then you can prepare yourself for crack the GATE exam.

for prepare gate exam you may take given below reference books

1.GK publication.

2.M hunda.

3.Rajput.

etc.

all the best........
11th August 2010, 01:35 PM
jainlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by meenarani View Post
I want to know that , is it possible to clear the GATE exam by self study.By which I can take admission in an IIT's colleges.
And what is the minimum percentile require to clear the GATE exam . And to get admissions in IIT's how much minimum percentile are require.

ya you yourself can prepare for GATE, i think so. if you wanna confirm then see some last years question papers
you can find the last years question papers from this link--
http://www.gate.iitb.ac.in/gate2010_website/question.php

insted of for more information you can find through this link--
http://www.gate.iitb.ac.in/gate2010_website/

for its score, percentile & all india rank you can go through this lonk--
http://www.gate.iitb.ac.in/gate2010_website/score.php
11th August 2010, 02:30 PM
bhavyachhabra

Smile Re: Can I prepare myself for GATE exam by self study?

Even I would like to know the answer to this question soon..
11th August 2010, 02:55 PM
atanu
Senior Member++

dear friend.
yes it can be possible ..
if your self interest in this field great than go and study ..
knowledge of your core paper in very well manner is mandatory..
best of luck.
11th August 2010, 03:33 PM
Gop
Senior Member+

Arrow Re: Can I prepare myself for GATE exam by self study?

Hi,
Yes, You can do it with self study provided perfect smart work. But, i would suggest you to take some coaching because they will help you with tips and tricks to crack the exam easily without taking much strain. It will reduce your preparation pressure by considerable level sothat you can remain relaxed for te Exam. This is solely my opinion and I not degrading you that you cant do it without coaching, You can, But with heavy effort. So Think twice before you reap.
Good luck.
11th August 2010, 03:41 PM
rohitkumarramesh
Senior Member++++

Hi
Yes you can clear the gate examination by the self study also if you are more confident on yourself that you can do practice for that alone.
But keep one thing in mind that alone you can't get those trick which are helpful for solve questions which are tricky. You can only get this trick if you can join some good institute for that.
But another way of practicing for gate that you can do group studies with your friends. By studying in group you will know many things which you can't get alone.
So its a advice to you to you that it would be better if you study in group or in some institute.

Good Luck!!!!!
11th August 2010, 03:48 PM
jicks

GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is conducted by GATE committee at 8 centres across India on behalf of Minstry of H.R.D.,

GATE provides or prioritize candidates for doing PG in Engg, Technology, Pharma and Architecture at National Level

Yes, you can prepare yourself for GATE exam, if you are well-organized, dedicated and hard working.

It is not a must that all candidates who score good marks in GATE exam come through coaching centres.
If you have determination, then you will surely succeed.

Marks:If you want a pass mark in GATE then it is 100
But for securing a seat in IIT, your minimum score should be above 550.

All the Best....
11th August 2010, 05:32 PM
Somesh Goenka
Senior Member+++

Quote:
Hello,

As you must be knowing that Lakhs of students appear for the GATE exam every year. So an edge is needed over them to score well and get through.
I know self study is a good concept, but then in case of competitive exams, the patters are ever changing and self study is not sufficient.
Hence what is suggestible is that you join some good result oriented coaching centre where they can give you the required guidance needed to crack such exams.

The minimum percentile to get through the IIT's is around 94-97, hence a lot of hard work has to be put in.

Good Luck!
11th August 2010, 05:45 PM
Somesh Goenka
Senior Member+++

Hello,

It is not suggestible to prepare for ten GATE exam on your own as lakhs of students appear every year, and you need to have and edge to score over them.
Kindly visit the following blog for complete details regarding the GATE exam:

http://careerquips.blogspot.com/sear...el/GATE%20exam

Good Luck!
11th August 2010, 06:53 PM
Pathfinder
Senior Member++++

Yes its definately possible to do so. Actually coaching helps to keep you focused which you can easily loose if you do self study.

So if you think that you can discipline yourself properly then you should try for it. If not then better go for coaching as these days the competition is very high

And not sure about the minimum percentile but try you best to score the highest marks

Best of Luck
11th August 2010, 07:00 PM
rohit_k

dear friend
thats a good idea for you do self studying,gate exam should be clear minimum percentage 70 to 80% so you can clear then you must be a get admission in a good iit colleges.
all the best
11th August 2010, 07:04 PM
amitjadon

Quote:

hello,

yes it is very well possible to get into iits through self study... you must be very much through in the subjects you are going to answer...

gate is definitely a difficult job if you are aiming for IIT's as you may not guide yourself enou8gh in order to get into the top rankings....

its clear that only top cream gets into IIT's so prepare well and get guidance about how the paper is and what is the tactics for answering the paper.....

for clearing gate the cutoff range varies every year... and for getting it into IIT's you must score above 675 on your gate score card....

Here is atypical qualitative interpretation of the GATE SCORE,

for example,

Ability Level GATE Score Range

Outstanding 800 to 1000
Excellent 675 to 800
Very good 550 to 675
Good 425 to 550
Above average 300 to 425
Average 100 to 300
Below average Below 100

ALL THE BEST
11th August 2010, 07:11 PM
Sathishkannan

Sure you can study for your GATE exam by self preparation but you have to be thorough of your basic concepts of the subject that you are going to take for the exam daily preparation is necessary and you should work hard.
11th August 2010, 09:04 PM
SweetJay

Quote:
Yes,you can pass GATE exam by self study. For self study you does not required teachers. By using study materials giving on the internet you can easily score maximam marks in GATE.I you want more information about GATE then visit the website given below---
11th August 2010, 09:13 PM
SweetJay

Quote:
Yes,you can pass GATE exam by self study.You can use study materials given on the Internet. If you want more information about GATE then visit the following URL--
http://www.onestopgate.com/gate-overview/

Best of Luck for GATE exam.
Bye Bye.
12th August 2010, 01:31 PM
jainlove

yes you can easily prepare for GATE, you will get an overview through this link, all the things about GATE -- <http://www.gate.iitb.ac.in/gate2010_website/>
12th August 2010, 06:15 PM
imira
Senior Member+++++

You can prepare for GATE exam by yourself. You have to study regularly. Try to solve previous years question papers. Appear for the test series. Make a list of formulae for ready reference. Make your basics clear.
14th August 2010, 05:40 PM
amit1057
Senior Member+

Dear friend,
You Can prepare itself for GATE exam by self study,But doing some Hard work.and i am sending some site which is helpful for preparation.
www.onestopgate.com here all study material and discussion about subject.please visit above site.
All the Best!
15th August 2010, 11:19 PM
bholag

dear friend,
YES
You can prepare yourself for GATE by self study only have to devote much more time as you can .It will be better if you join an correspondence course of some coaching institute as they provide the study materials for GATE
16th August 2010, 05:07 AM
cenaetion
Senior Member+

dear friend,

u can prepare urself ,but for this u have to read properly throughout the year.

u follow ur text books properly, make ur base strong.

and solve many question pepers of previous gate exams.

i will suggest u to follow some competitive books like,(publishers)

1. R.K RAJPUT

2. HONDA

etc........

all the best.........
16th August 2010, 05:31 PM
jiyaa

yes,why not,but the main thing is envoirment that you lack at the home,so you should join good coaching classes from where you can learn more tricks,time managment is the key in this kind of examination....keep practicing the previous year paper have a great future..
best of luck
16th August 2010, 11:42 PM
hsakapandit
Banned

Location: Vill. and Post Office Katrain, Near Shiv Temple, Distt. and Teh. Kullu (Himachal Pradesh) India

Yes! If you have study material then You can study yourself.
17th August 2010, 09:17 PM
Adarshxxx
Senior Member+

dear frend,
yes ofcourse you can prepare for gate exam by self study......js hav confidence in you...................
wish you al the best!!!!!!!!!!!
18th August 2010, 11:37 AM
jainlove

Quote:

yes you can easily prepare for GATE by yourself, you should go through GATE website then you could know that, how much easier it is.
you can find everything syllabus, last year questions.; then you can see that how much easier it is
24th August 2010, 09:39 PM
Bishwajit Giri
Senior Member+++++

Dear friend,
Definitely you can,you confidence is saying that you must be prepared for GATE ownself.
According to me,
1>you keep clear concept on your basic subjects.
2>go through all subjects in which you much more interest,
3>maintain a time table for study in a day.
4>solve all previous year papers.
Best of luck.
15th November 2010, 11:32 PM
ashish121

yes ofcourse you can crack gate by self study if you have stong will power and self confidence.
actually, you can easily crack if you give little of your time for this but in regular manner .

since syllabus for the gate and your studies are quiet same.
so you can do prepare while studying only.
just be confident, and i hope you must crack it.

for iitjee, you must have to score above 90 percentile then only you can think about iits.

so work hard.
30th November 2010, 09:43 PM
lvnareshsunrise
Senior Member+++++

yes you can prepare for yourself.

Nothing is impossible.

Only thing you need to have is
strong dedications
strong determination
hard working nature

Make it as a goal and work on that.
5th December 2010, 07:19 PM
Unregistered

Please,give me good suggestions for preparing for gate.
6th December 2010, 11:24 AM
kvrob139
Senior Member++

Hi,

You can prepare yourself by studying your graduation subjects thoroughly. You must capture the basics and fundamental knowledge of the subjects.
you can also consult previous year papers to get the idea of the pattern ask and on which area to stress more.
You need at least 98 to get admission into IITs if you a re general category.
6th December 2010, 09:34 PM
lavanyaratala

no i will not suggest self study for that.....because what we learnt from class is different than that is given in GATE . so i'll suggest you to go for some coaching classes.
7th December 2010, 02:56 AM
sandipk
Senior Member+

dear friend,

yes ofcourse you can prepair yourself for gate.
first go through the syllabus.
then you just go through website for previous year question papers for your reference.
you better go through nearby bookstores and collect books for your refference.
you hv to score better.

good luck...
7th December 2010, 07:07 AM
aditya436
Senior Member++++

Thumbs up Re: Can I prepare myself for GATE exam by self study?

hello friend

yes definitely you can crack gate exam by self study only if you have strong determination and desire to get into iit then only you can succeed with self study follow these tips to self study

1) say NO to friends till the feb 14th

2) No chatting

3) NO movies

4) NO other issues which will distract you from desire

5)be peaceful throughout your work outs

6)keep concentrating every second of your study

7)to attain concentration follow the RAJA YOGA

8)discuss some topics with toppers of your batch

9) build awareness of paper which you're going to write this can be done only by practicing more no. of previous years question papers.

follow all these perfectly and bias every thing in your life then you'll definitely achieve what you want without any coaching institute..

all the best

~aditya~
7th December 2010, 07:54 AM
rahul_kumar066

You can enter into gate by only three way
1.hard work and practice
2.hard work and practice
3.hard work and practice
I hope you must understand what i am saying
You need 60% marks in graduation for appearing in the exams and yo u need above 90%marks in gate exam to be a sucessful gate cracker
27th April 2011, 09:38 AM
zeeshan87
Senior Member+

hii, surely you can with good strategy

1. learn all basics well
2. solve as many problems as you can
3. solve question papers
4. take mock exams.
if you find tough surely many coaching insti will help you, bets of luck.
28th April 2011, 05:38 PM
kanchanyadav
Senior Member+

Yes you can prepare for GATE by yourself.

GATE exam is not so easy and not so tough.

So what you need to do is

- make your concepts clear in all your engineering subject.

- GATE paper include maximum numerical question so try to solve more and more numerical

- Solve last 10 year GATE papers.

- Now as Aptitude portion is also there so prepare that also it will help in scoring good because aptitude questions are very simple.

So prepare well and

All the Best...
31st October 2011, 11:06 PM
vinay21feb
Senior Member+++

List of coaching centers for IES and GATE entrances in Pune or Maharashtra-
ACE Engineering Academy
ACE Engineering Academy
Ahlan Xerox Internate, Stationery
Allahabad Agri Institute Eng & Technology
Alpha Educational center
Alpha Educational Society Coaching For all Engineering Exams
Alpha Educational Society Coaching For all Engineering Exams
Alpine Instt of Mgmt & Tech.
Amulet Tutorials
Ankan's Academic Associate
Aonelearning
Architecture Aptitude.com
IES Academy
Brilliant Tutorials Private Limited
Vani Institute Of Engineering & Technology (VIET)
1st November 2011, 11:47 PM
ranjeet250490
Senior Member++++

Yes sure you can prepare yourself for the GATE exam. In fact its a very positive and strong thought.

So what you need to do is, keep you basic concepts very very clear. Keep the concepts of your BTech always handy and on your finger tips.

You have to revise a lot so that you dont get out of touch with the 2nd year or 3rd year course. They cover majority portion of the GATE paper.

As far as I know, You have to have a minimum 90-95 percentile in GATE to get into IITs for M Tech and also your CGPA should be more than 7.5

Its even better if your CGPA is 8 and above.

So work hard and success would follow.
9th February 2012, 09:24 PM
Unregistered

How to prepare for MECHANICAL GATE exam?
2nd April 2013, 02:59 PM
Unregistered

i have qualified in gate ec with 29.67 marks..... i prepared myself for this. i donot like to take coaching... but i would have got more marks if i had taken coaching...
one or two institutes only giving good coachig.... so to get good marks in gate exam self study plays 50%,good coaching plays 25% role and remaing is of your CONFIDANCE during the exam............... hemanth
thank you
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?