2nd October 2010, 09:10 AM
Unregistered

Career Options after M.Sc. Biotechnology 5 year Integrated Course, other than PhD?

I'm pursuing M.Sc. Biotech (Integrated) from VIT University. It's a 5 year course (UG+PG) and I'm in 2nd year now. I want to know about the career options after I passout other than Ph.D.
I don't want to go for research so what are the other options available?

2nd October 2010, 01:26 PM
nuzhat fathima

Default Re: Career Options after M.Sc. Biotechnology 5 year Integrated Course, other than PhD?

HI,

5 year integrated M.sc. / M.Tech – This is by far amongst the more popular choices, though you will have to work hard to get a seat as the best programmes are still offered by the IIT’

MBA (Biotechnology) – This is a relatively new development in the MBA as well as biotech sphere. This is a great option for those interested or passionate about science but not necessarily looking forward to many hours of research but want a more managerial and interactive approach to their career. It usually requires candidates to have a bachelor’s degree in biology or related sciences.

• M/Sc. (Biotech) – This is a great option after you have done your graduation in Biology or a related discilpline. There are 2 major entrance exams for entry into this course – one is the All India Biotechnology Entrance Test conducted by JNU and ofcourse the JEE’s conducted by IIT’s.
• PHD (Biotech) – This is a necessity if you are looking for a career in research. A valid GATE score (for engineering graduates) or a high score in the UGC_JRF or a CSIR fellowship will definitely help you and also enable you to secure stable fellowships. Many institutes offer part time work to candidates who are unable to secure fellowships. There are also some institutes like IISc. that offer integrated 5 year PhD after a BSc.

Career options are many, with research topping the list. Some of the other fields open in biotechnology are:

• Upstream/downstream which you can pursue if you have done M.Sc. Life science, molecular biology, microbiology, etc.
• Pre-clinical or Clinical development can be pursued after MPharm. or MBBS
• Programme Management is a good option if you have done B.Sc./B.Tech + MBA
• Regulatory work or Quality control can be a career option after M/Sc. / M.Pharm.
• Business development or Sales/Marketing is a great option after science+MBA
2nd October 2010, 01:57 PM
nehabareja

Default Re: Career Options after M.Sc. Biotechnology 5 year Integrated Course, other than PhD?

hello dear,
first of all it's good that you are going to complete your master's degree..if you are not having as much interest in research field you can go for academics i.e. teaching line..moreover if you have a bit interest in administrative line then now a days MBA has a great boom & its not to difficult to get into it..regarding your field you can also get company jobs..like in pharmaceutical company,hospitality management,clinical research,food & processing companies etc...
a little dedication & hard work will lead to a glowing path..
with best regards...good luck!
4th October 2010, 08:08 PM
Unregistered

i have 50% marks in M.sc bio-tech, then may i do p.hd
17th October 2010, 05:27 PM
Unregistered

Hi, I am also doing my 2nd year msci, will I get previous year question papers for reference purpose?
24th October 2010, 11:15 PM
Unregistered

Hello everybody,
I my in 3rd year of B.Sc. Biotechnology.
I am confused about whether i should continue with my M.Sc. Biotech or i should go for something else.
Please give me proper guidance.
25th October 2010, 01:37 PM
neha4001

Lot carrer options are open after M.sc biotech more information regarding jobs ad carrer after Msc look into examresultscenter.com
15th November 2010, 01:28 PM
megha ram singh

I think you can go for M.Tech in Biotechnology since you don't want to go in research field so it'll be better for you

you can join in any pharmacuetical company, you can be a lecturer or you can be a doctor you can join as a HOD in any college.
23rd November 2010, 11:22 AM
Unregistered

hi m doin m final year msc.biotech wat shud i do aftr dis suggest me sum idea.
26th November 2010, 07:42 PM
Unregistered

i want to go in research field in biotech.....me doin bsc final year...tell me hw cud i do
2nd December 2010, 11:38 AM
er.dellikannan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm pursuing M.Sc. Biotech (Integrated) from VIT University. It's a 5 year course (UG+PG) and I'm in 2nd year now. I want to know about the career options after I passout other than Ph.D.
I don't want to go for research so what are the other options available?
Biotechnology is ranked second as a growth sector after multimedia industry with a tremendous employment potential. Major contributions in areas such as environment, health, agriculture and pharmaceuticals is envisaged.

Most biotechnologists are employed in research and development, departments of institutions and industries involved in biotechnological work. From the production of antimicrobial agents, reagents and consumables to the marketing of instruments used in biotechnological applications and research the opportunities for biotechnologists are on the increase. Biotechnologists work extensively in the production departments of these industries. Generally Biotechnology students from engineering stream are given preference for production jobs.

Biotechnologists work in industries producing food, chemicals, bio-processed products etc. They are involved in research in genetics, biochemistry and biochemical engineering and all areas where these processes are implied. Industrial R&D covers areas such as chemical processes, increase in productivity, waste and pollution management. Some industries employ biotechnologists in their marketing department to develop business in the sector where their product would be most required. They also help to identify biotechnological development opportunities for the industry in India and abroad.

A steep rise in employment is envisaged in environmental biotechnology. Spending to the tune of $ 600 billion by the turn of the century will open up vast avenues in this sector, as biotechnologists are expected to resolve crisis related to marine life, depletion of the atmosphere etc. In the area of drugs and pharmaceutical there are new ventures both in the government and private sectors coming up to provide for the latest R&D facilities as the sector envisages a global market share of almost Rs35,000 crores. Pharmaceutical industries are offering lucrative pay packets to biotechnologists, microbiologists, molecular biologists and biochemists. Government labs such as CDRI in Lucknow is constantly employing research workers/scientists. The private sector placements are in both technical and managerial positions. The management levels match those of a business firm and the task relates to industrial, production and marketing management. In academics biotechnologists (Doctorates) are working in departments of marine biotech, biomedicine, earth sciences biomedical engineering, agricultural and environmental biotechnology etc.

Industries employing biotechnologists : Hindustan Lever, Thapar group, Indo American Hybrid Seeds, Bincon India Limited, Bivcol, IDPL, Indian Vaccines Corporation, Hindustan Antibiotics, Sun Pharma, Cadila etc.

Laboratories and Institutes employing Biotechnologists : These include the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, National Botanical Institute, National chemical laboratory, Tata Energy Research Institute, Central Aromatic, Plants Institute, Indian Institute of Science, Agricultural Research Institute, CSIR, National Environment Research Institute-Nagpur, National Institute of Immunology-New Delhi, CDRI- Lucknow, IIT-Mumbai, Delhi.
16th December 2010, 11:24 AM
Unregistered

HELLO,I AM A BIOTECH STUDENT DOING INTEGRATED M.SC(BIOTECH) FROM ST.XAVIER'S COLLEGE,KOLKATA.I AM IN MY 1ST YEAR AND WANT TO KNOW ABOUT JOB OPPORTUNITIES AFTER THIS M.SC.?WHAT ARE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR QUALIFYING IN SUCH JOBS.?DO I NEED TO GIVE GATE FOR QUALIFYING FOR DOING PH.D.PLEASE HELP ME OUT.
19th December 2010, 08:24 PM
Unregistered

I am student of Msc biotech.
I want to know about job opportunities after Msc biotech rather than phd programme

jeetendra choudhary
bharatpur rajasthan.
1st February 2011, 02:38 AM
Unregistered

i scored less than 50% in msc biotechnology.. is there any scope for m phil or phd ?
3rd May 2011, 10:14 PM
Unregistered

hi ,i was finished B.SC biotechnology. then i should confused whether i should go for msc biotech or some other else .please help me
18th May 2011, 02:08 AM
Unregistered

hi i have finished msc biotechnology from IIT.what are the best present day career options.
1st June 2011, 07:18 PM
Unregistered

i m doing Msc Biotech from Sikkim Manipal University

i got 63% in bsc biotech . What are the present day career options in mumbai
3rd June 2011, 12:20 AM
Unregistered

i am in 4th sem in m.sc in integrated biotechnology. after 6th sem i have to choose line from medical biotech or industrial biotech. which one is best??
11th June 2011, 09:35 PM
Unregistered

Can I pursue Ph.D after studying 5 years integrated M.Sc. in Biotechnology? Or I have to complete M.Tech first before going for Ph.D?
3rd October 2011, 03:19 PM
Unregistered

hiii...Iam a phd student. I want to know is their any funding options for registered full time phd students.
10th May 2012, 10:41 PM
Unregistered

what are the job opportunities in companies in mumbai after completing msc biotechnology? In which companies should i apply?
4th June 2012, 07:31 PM
Unregistered

i have completed my first year in m.sc integrated biotechnology,what are the job opportunities after completing 5th year other than doing p.hd ?can u furnish me about certain companies that have scope foe biotechnology?
17th August 2012, 12:33 PM
Unregistered

Sir,I am a 3rd year b.sc.biotechnology student.I want to do my m.sc.biotechnology from Sikkim.Sir,is there any college affilated to this course?plz give me the information.
26th November 2012, 06:44 PM
Onkar Kaur
Senior Member+

Hello Friend,

As you are pursuing M.sc. (5 year.. integrated Course) and doesn't have any interest in P.Hd. or in research centre, Then you may go for following:

1. MBA

2. UGC test to be lecturer

3. Regulatory work o Quality Control

4. Business Development or sales after MBA

GOOD LUCK........
15th August 2013, 10:16 AM
Unregistered

Carrier options after doing integrated m.sc in e.t.c?
22nd April 2015, 05:49 PM
Unregistered

hi i have completed 12th std i am interested in doing MSC biotechnology 5 year integrated course in VIT in that course what i will study for 5 year.3 years bsc and 2 year Msc like that or different please reply me
7th May 2015, 09:41 PM
Unregistered

Hi I've just completed 12th as aPCB student I want 2know which is better option for me btec biotechnology or Msc integrated pls reply fast as my career option
27th May 2015, 11:32 AM
Unregistered

hi i've completed 12th & i am confused with the differenc in bsc biotech & msc(integratd) biotech coz both hav same duratn (5 yrs) & their scope in future career? anyone plzzz help..
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?