17th April 2011, 03:48 PM
shraddhapandey

Career in Stenography?

Is stenography is a better option of getting a nice job?

17th April 2011, 04:52 PM
Thebippin23

Default Re: Career in Stenography?

Sir i want to know about which field is prmote better option after doing m.b.a
17th April 2011, 05:16 PM
maddusajj
Senior Member+++++

hi...
stenography is an art of writing hidden messages ,if you are having an career in this then you can be very useful for the intelligence services ,because various anti social elements are using this hidden messages and the intelligence services require people like you to decode those messages,
there is also an demand for the people from this profession in the field of printers many modern printers are using it including hp,
17th April 2011, 08:31 PM
vijaybhattoo07

Stenographer Career Summary

Stenographers, or stenotypists, use a stenotype machine to document (word for word) all statements made in official proceedings. Stenographers learn their trade either on-the-job or from technical and vocational schools or junior and community colleges.
Recommended Schools

Colorado Technical University
o » Associate - Criminal Justice
o » Associate: Court Reporting
o » Associate: Paralegal studies
o » Bachelor: Court Reporting
o » Bachelor: Criminal Justice

Penn Foster Career School
o » Career Diploma - Legal Transcriptionist
o » Career Diploma: Legal Secretary
o » Career Diploma: Paralegal

Kaplan University
o » Associate: Criminal Justice
o » Associate: Paralegal Studies
o » Bachelor: Criminal Justice
o » Bachelor: Criminal Justice Admin and Mgmt
o » Bachelor: Intl. and Comparative Criminal Justice

Strayer University
o » Associate in Arts in Criminal Justice
o » Bachelor of Business Administration: Legal Studies Concentration

Walden University
o » Bachelor: Crim. Justice - Crime & Criminals
o » Bachelor: Crim. Justice - Criminal Justice Mgmt & Admin
o » BS in Political Science & Public Administration - Law & Legal Studies

Duties and Responsibilities

The most obvious employment of stenographers, also known as stenotypists, is in court room legal proceedings where exact records are needed. Stenographers, however, also do transcription work for important businesses meetings, prominent speeches, closed captioning for television or anywhere else an official legal record of the spoken word must be preserved. Stenotype machines have several keys with letters on them that represent sounds, words, phrases. Stenographers hit several keys at once to record combinations of letters that can represent sounds, words, or phrases. The key combinations are then electronically recorded and then translated in a process called Computer-Aided Transcription (CAT). Depending upon the type of employment, many other job functions may be added to regular stenography duties and responsibilities. The following excerpts are stenographer duties and responsibilities from actual Monster.com postings:

* 'The stenographer will be responsible for taking meeting notes three times per month in a professional business environment.' -- Office Team
* 'Operations A Clerk Stenographer, performs general clerical functions which include answering telephones, processing mail, gate security, ordering supplies/materials, maintaining files, formulating correspondence, minutes and reports. Perform general accounting functions which include the processing of purchase orders, petty cash and vendor invoice payments. Process payroll and all other associated reports. General knowledge of personal computer & associated software/mainframe applications' -- Florida Power and Light

Job Requirements

Job educational requirements differ by employer. Some accept relevant experience only, while others require an associate's degree or certificate in legal transcription, stenography, court reporting/captioning or any related program. In addition to education, some states require court reporters to be licensed or certified. Different professional associations offer certifications; most of which are voluntary, but help set you apart from the competition through demonstrated knowledge.

Other job skills include speed, accuracy, listening skills, computer skills and knowledge of jargon for a particular industry. For example, court reporting stenographers must have a thorough knowledge of judicial terminology. The following excerpts are stenographer job requirements from actual postings on the American Association of Electronic Reporters and Transcribers (AAERT) website, www.aaert.org:

* 'Graduation from a standard high school or equivalent and five years of stenographic work in the court system, legal field or criminal justice environment is required. An Associate's degree from an accredited court reporting school may substitute for two years of the required experience. Certification may be required at the discretion of the Chief Justice or designee. Registered Professional Reporter (RPR) certification preferred.' - Seventh Judicial Circuit, St. Augustine or Bunnell, Florida
* 'High school diploma/GED, Graduate of a court reporting school approved by the National Court Reporter Association (NCRA), and designation of Registered Professional Reporter (RPR) from the NCRA or compliance with the Minnesota Supreme Court Order 81-876; Electronic: High school diploma/GED and Certification as Electronic Court Reporter by the Minnesota Supreme Court; Experience with Microsoft Office products preferred.' - First Judicial District Dakota County Hastings, Minnesota

Employment Outlook

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), www.bls.gov, overall employment of court reporters is projected to grow much more quickly than the average occupation through the year 2016. Court reporters median annual earnings were $45,610 as of May 2006. Advancement opportunities usually come in the form of pay raises and more prestigious positions. Stenographers with enough experience and education, however, may move into supervisory, management, administrative, teaching or consulting positions.
18th April 2011, 12:24 AM
amlendu shekhar
Junior Member+

Hi dear,
There has been a good deal of correspondence in our columns of late as to the compensation of stenographers, the opportunities offered in stenography for a satisfactory career and the encouragement to a young man or young woman to devote to the acquisition of shorthand and typewriting the time required to gain at least average proficiency.
If you are considering a career as a stenographer, one of the most important things that you should consider is what type of job duties stenographers have. They transcribe, or type, material which they are dictated. This can include orders, memos, correspondence, reports and various other types of information. When they transcribe such information, stenographers will use shorthand. A lot of the time, stenographers can be found working in a court, where they will transcribe various types of information. Stenographers will often use word and data processing software or equipment in order to ensure that the information which they have transcribed is correct. The transcriptions which they have made often need to be organized. Many stenographers will also take on the basic duties of a secretary, which may include answering phones, directing visitors to where they need to go and managing appointments.
Thanks
18th April 2011, 02:07 PM
Unregistered

thanks,
14th July 2011, 10:52 PM
Unregistered

Hi i am ramesh d i am from karnatka in bijapur. I am learning steno some people saying there is no career and some com..softwere are there when we speak it will type automatickly. Is that true.
18th July 2011, 06:51 PM
Gita Irudhayaraj
Senior Member+

Hi friend,
Stenography
There are courses to study about Stenography. It is a course for Short Hand Writing Scripts for reporting, meetings etc.,
It is an ITI Course. In Technical courses it is one among them. It also has many scopes for jobs now-a -days.
Career options in Stenography
1. News Reporting
2. TV news Editor
3. Companies as Secretary
4. Press Reporters etc.,
All the best.
21st July 2011, 09:18 PM
Unregistered

What are the importance of short hand in modern days? various types of duties performd by stenographer?
6th September 2011, 06:32 PM
Unregistered

stenographer ke jariye hum personal assistence(PA) ban sakte hai?
22nd September 2011, 06:29 PM
Unregistered

stenographer english me hume kaisa job milega.
24th September 2011, 07:26 AM
nagamalleswararaoyaramasu

hai dear
the following are the jobs available in stenography
1.stenography cum secretary-nepc india limited
2.stenographer
3.steno typist
4.stenography grade-1
5.stenographt personal secretary
6.secretry cum front office executive and general A
7.stenographer-requored excellent communicator
these are careers only
good luck
15th October 2011, 11:30 AM
Unregistered

Name of the recognized institutions of Uttar Pradesh/India from where stenography can be done?
8th December 2011, 04:27 PM
Unregistered

I HAVE DONE BCOM AND LLB AFTERTHAT I WANT OT DOING THIS JOB PLS INFOR ME THIS JOB
13th December 2011, 06:32 AM
Unregistered

I have done btech can i make my career in this field
21st August 2012, 01:58 PM
Unregistered

Is there any upcoming recruitments for stenographer in govt sector
18th September 2012, 01:51 PM
Unregistered

I am M.A English with two years ITI stenography.I am 42 years.where can I apply for a job.
5th October 2012, 08:41 PM
Unregistered

Stenography is the most worst job on earth. You have to take down dictation and transcribe it. Sometimes the speakers volume is low sometimes he cannot frame sentences correctly sometimes his speed is too much but u r expected to transcribe it accurately. You also have to bear the attitude of your boss. Your life will totally depend on the nature of your boss. You will be his slave.
1st March 2013, 01:43 PM
Unregistered

I have complete my MCA and now I want to do this stenography, could you suggest me should i do this or not, my age 26 year's old..??
11th April 2013, 04:31 AM
Unregistered

Please let me know the best institute for stenography in mumbai?
4th May 2013, 06:54 PM
Unregistered

I am Stenographer but jobless, anyone has the vacancy please tell me. [email protected]
9th August 2013, 04:35 PM
Shorthand Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have done btech can i make my career in this field
yes, any person with sound knowledge of English language make his career in shorthand Or stenography
8th October 2013, 02:37 AM
Unregistered

Plz me complany and power plants where we can apply as steno.
12th December 2013, 11:59 AM
Unregistered

i have done my graduation before 2 years with 78% now i want a career as a stenographer plz tell me what should i do?
17th May 2014, 01:27 AM
Unregistered

Hi!I am christina .
Would u tell me .Is steno graphy is the right coose for career should i got job in chandigarh after doing this. If yes than how??
17th May 2014, 01:27 AM
Unregistered

Hi!I am christina .
Would u tell me .Is steno graphy is the right coose for career should i got job in chandigarh after doing this. If yes than how??
14th August 2014, 11:57 AM
Unregistered

HeLo
i am sawan..
I am 10th pass student... can any one TeLL me in which Way i am doing stenography
TeLL Me
because i didn't No
9th February 2015, 04:17 PM
Unregistered

I am doing b.a with office management and secretarial practice. so, can i become a vocational teacher in school.
19th September 2016, 07:03 PM
Unregistered

Sir I am pursuing my graduation final year from Delhi university (correspondence) and I also learning stenography from last 2 years sir I am very confused about my future to what should I do now plz help me.????
21st September 2016, 01:38 PM
Preeti @

The SSC(Staff selection commission) exam under govt. of india conducts stenographer in Grade C & Grade D examination every year to recruits candidates as stenographer. The eligibility criteria for this post is 10+2 along with stenographic skills. You can also apply for following post:
1)Speech writing
2)Assisting minister or officers
3)Public relations
4)Press Conference
20th December 2016, 06:58 PM
NITYUSH

On the basis of steno 2016 i want to know that what is the scope of mine in 2017 bcs in 2016 i get 98 marks
31st May 2017, 05:48 PM
Unregistered

Hey i just come to know about this field. I found it interesting. So i want more information regarding this. I have completed my 12th from isc school.... In 12th class i got marks and in 10th i got 80, i also come to know that i will get selected according to 10th result... I have so many questions ... If anyone can contact me so plz help me... My phone no. 8871697211
28th July 2017, 07:48 PM
Unregistered

Hello Sir, I just want to know that can a student should opt for shorthand and stenography after doing graduation from BA.LLB and what are the career options after doing BA.LLB.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?