3rd April 2012, 11:18 AM
lakshmipv244

Which is more preferable either Finance or HR? I'm a MBA student and have done B.Sc

iam a MBA student . i have done degree with B.Sc.So now we need to opt finance/HR which is best . please suggest me.

15th May 2016, 10:03 PM
ranjeet250490
Senior Member++++

Arrow Re: Which is more preferable either Finance or HR? I'm a MBA student and have done B.Sc

MBA which stands for Masters in Business Administration and is a full time 2 years program. It is good that you are already enrolled in this as it almost promises a bright future with job in a good company, profile and package. Here is my view on the question that is at hand.

MBA in Finance:

As you must be knowing, Finance is the oldest stream of management as it deals with numericals, profit/loss, salaries of employees, investment etc. It is important but as said by many it is boring too. But on the other hand, there are people who vouch for this and say it is the best and most interesting stream of MBA.

It would give you knowledge on Banking, Investment, Equity, Research, Mergers and Acquisitions, Wealth Management, etc. Also be aware of the roles offered after MBA in Finance which range from M&A, IB, Corporate Finance, Consulting, Risk Management, Retail Banking, etc.

The average salaries that range for MBA Finance are from 4-25 lacs per annum. It depends on several factors such as:

1. Which Tier college are you graduating from
2. Which company is offering what role on that campus
3. What is your knowledge level when you sit for interviews

MBA in HR (Human Resource):

Just as the name suggests this field of MBA studies the People of organization, the ideas to attract talent, the ways to reduce attrition and much more. It is more on the functional side and hardly requires any technical skills.

Many people get in recruitment, talent acquisition, compensation and benefits, exit case people, etc. These are primarily the roles offered after one becomes MBA in HR. To be really frank, HRs are a cost center to companies and thus most companies prefer outsourcing this department.

After comparing both also, I would say you should go for whatever interests you the most and not compromise on your interest. This is because probably after MBA you would have to pursue a career in this work for the rest of your life.

Personally speaking, I would recommend MBA in Finance as it is any day more rewarding.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?