1st September 2012, 10:30 PM
Unregistered

As engineering students is it preferable to opt for MBA or M.Tech?

As Engineering students,is it preferable to opt for MBA or M.tech???It has been seen that many public sector and other companies ask candidates to clear their GATE examinations...do a student clearing MBA entrance get a call from these companies?

Related Questions:
2nd September 2012, 07:00 PM
sherleytwain
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: As engineering students is it preferable to opt for MBA or M.Tech?

Nope, clearing MBA entrance exams like Common Admission Test (CAT) or Management Aptitude Test (MAT) is not seen equal to the GATE entrance exam. The GATE entrance exam is primarly for the Engineering students who want to pursue M.Tech. This is the reason why GATE score is given importance in jobs that where B.Tech is the educational requiremet. Therefore your result in the CAT or MAT entrance exam would hold no advantage when applying for job in Public Sector Undertaking and other Engineering related jobs. You would still be asked to appear in the GATE entrance exam.

Now to answer first part of your question, there is no sense, at least to me, to pursue MBA after completing B.Tech course. It is better to appear in GATE exam and apply for Public Sector Undertaking jobs or in private company. If Master of Business Administration was your primary aim then there was no point of studying B.Tech course. You can study MBA after any graduation course.

My recommendation would be that you pursue M.Tech course. It is much better option comparing to the MBA. However if you intention is purely to get job in Public Sector Undertaking then there is no need to pursue M.Tech as well, just pass the GATE entrance exam with good marks and bingo, you may not even have to appear in written test conducted by the PSU and would be called for direct interview.

To pursue M.Tech the best option is to appear in GATE entrance exam. General Aptitude Test for Engineering is conducted for M.Tech admission. GATE score remains valid for 2 years. Apart from M.Tech, GATE score is beneficial for pursuing job in Public Sector Undertaking. Please remember that some Public Sector Undertakings have stopped conducting written exam and instead they ask for the GATE score of the candidate. While others do conduct written test but still give preference to the candidate with good GATE score.

After passing the GATE exam you can apply in different colleges for M.Tech admission. This also includes IITs. If you have performed extremely well in the GATE exam then getting admission in IIT is certainly a possibility. However you would have to go through written test, group discussion and interview as part of admission process.

GATE Exam Eligibility

You need to complete B.Tech/BE degree in any stream. The percentage does not matter to appear in GATE exam.

Exam Pattern

General Aptitude - 10 Questions - 15 Marks

Engineering Mathematics - 11 Questions - 15 Marks

Your Engineering Subject - - 44 Questions - 70 Marks
2nd September 2012, 08:46 PM
MOUSE92

dear,

actually for candidates who have completed b.tech in ec/eee/civil/mechanical it is better to go ahead with M.TECH rather than MBA

but if you are from cse branch then MBA is nice for you

first to fall to pursue mba:

--you must have scored 50% in b.tech

--if you are from sc/st you must have :45%

you can give following entrance exams for mba:

cat
mat
nmat
snap
gmat
kmat
rmat
icet
etc

if you score higher rank then you will get admitted to good colleges

some good specialization

mba in it
mba in hr
mba in accounting
mba in marketing

etc

good luck
2nd September 2012, 10:14 PM
koppula.haritha

After completing B-Tech you should go for M-Tech which is the Master of B-Tech and if you are interested in doing MBA than you can do it after completing your M-Tech.

MBA is mostly done by management students and if you want to change your flied than you can go for MBA.

You will be in better position in the industry after completing M-Tech and MBA

All The Best...
13th May 2013, 07:44 PM
Unregistered

am doing my b.sc(computer science) at present..i have planned to do m.b.a further..which branch of m.b.a is suitable for me?? suggest me..
15th May 2018, 01:09 PM
Unregistered

In the interview they ask the question for mba students who are completed their UG in engineering, why you selected mba after engineering.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?