21st December 2017, 01:37 PM
Unregistered

Should I leave B.Sc and study BA if my aim is UPSC Civil Services?

This year i completed 12th with 54.32 in science and doing FY.Bsc-CS. I want to give UPSC in C.S.E-Exam after my graduation and i want to make career in it and it is my final decision.
I am confused either i should continue with BSc. CS or to take admission in FY.BA in 2018.
My feelings are " Why i should be continue with bsc-cs, there is nothing i want make career in CS there will be just time-pass of 2.5 years and this is the course which has practicals.
Therefore I think that, I should take admission in FY.BA in 2018 and then Graduating in it after that give C.S.E exam.The true reason for doing Graduation in BA is that, it is the basic knowledge for CSE exam."
Respected Guiders, please give the right directions with doing the graduation with respected studies(Bsc-CS or B.A) in order to make successful career in UPSC C.S.E Exam.

21st December 2017, 08:40 PM
NeptuneSpear

Default Re: Should I leave B.Sc and study BA if my aim is UPSC Civil Services?

Hello.

It's very premature to neglect the idea of BSC CS at this stage. Civil Services is a different examination, it requires utmost skills in handling abrupt things. Doing B.A over BSC will not make you leap ahead in the examination. It's quite true that subjects of arts usually help in General Studies but you can't deny the fact that most of the people who made into civil services are engineers or doctors. It will be better if you continue with your graduation and in mean time prepare for subjects you want to opt for optional. Take help from inisghtsonindia and iasbaba, see previous year papers.

Thank You
21st December 2017, 09:29 PM
taputanya
Senior Member+++++

Personally, I would like to suggest you to continue with your BSc degree because after that also you will be eligible to appear in civil services examination that is conducted by UPSC. After completing your graduation degree either you can drop one year for the preparation of civil services or you can also prepare yourself side by side by joining any coaching institute.
21st December 2017, 09:54 PM
Doctor Tom
Senior Member+++++

If you think so that you will prepare yourself well if you Drop your BSc in between and then you will join BA, then let me tell you that it is not true. You can prepare yourself for the Civil Services by studying in BSC also. Rather Science students are more capable of cracking this exam. So continue in BSc. Only right guidance and study material is needed to you.
22nd December 2017, 12:02 AM
ajjuravi
Senior Member+++++

You must continue with your B.Sc. in CS. You should not waste your 1 year by changing from B.Sc. to BA.

Also, you will not get so much of benefit in Civil Services Exam by studying BA course.

If you are continuing with B.Sc. Computer Science, then it will improve your computing skills as well as technical knowledge which is nowadays very beneficial.

Civil Services Exam contains three stages to crack:
  • Preliminary Exam
  • Main Exam
  • Personal Interview

You will have to prepare for all three stages thoroughly to crack UPSC CSE exam.
22nd December 2017, 12:13 AM
yogeshsharma3047
Senior Member+++

Yes, you can leave B.SC (Bachelor of Science) and complete your bachelor’s degree as BA (Bachelor of Arts) to appear in UPSC (Union Public Service Commission) civil services, because to apply for UPSC civil services exam minimum qualification is bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification. Here below are details regarding eligibility conditions for UPSC civil services:-

Eligibility Conditions for UPSC Civil Services:-

- For UPSC civil services applicant must be Indian citizen.

- For UPSC civil services applicant must have done bachelor’s degree from government recognized institute.

- Applicant who are appearing in final year of their bachelors degree are also allowed to appear in UPSC civil service exam.

- Age limit to apply for UPSC civil services is 21 years to 32 years, relaxation of 5 years in upper age limit for SC/ST category candidate, Relaxation of 3 years for OBC category candidates as per government rules.

- For more details please visit www.upsc.gov.in.
31st January 2018, 06:49 PM
sitaafalam

No. Please do not take this kind of decisions. Do not leave your B.Sc course.

Though your aim is UPSC Civil Services, there is no such rule like only BA students are eligible.

Even B.Sc students are eligible. So, there is nothing to worry for eligibility.

If you can see history of civil services, there are many B.Sc students who qualified in civil services and joined different departments.

It all depends upon your preparation and your knowledge irrespective of course whether B.Sc or BA
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?