31st January 2015, 12:40 AM
Unregistered

Should I quit job to prepare for GATE 2015?

I am a graduate of 2013 in cse engineering. I wanted to pursue mtech from a nice college but my entrance exam (GATE 2013) rank was poor and i couldnt manage to. I had then joined a company as a trainee software engineer. Its a year now that i have joined but i am feeling now that i have not learnt anything in this tenure. Besides, the work doesnt interest me as its more of a stereotype work and no brainstorming to do.My office hours are 7 30 am to 4 30 pm and i come home by 6 30 pm. I dont have work at office and everyday i have to kill time as am idle.reading newspapers arent allowed in the office. I am planning to take up the preparation for GATE 2015 once again and want to get a v good score as i want to shift to the research sector. Is this what IT sectors are like? No work and just killing time, pretending that u are working a lot? my first job has nipped the blossom in the bud of my interest towork in an IT firm. Now i want to start studying seriously for the exam. I have decent understanding of the basics. I was wondering if i should quit my job around september which would leave me with 6 months to prepare, meanwhile i keep preparing in the time i am back from office. But after office i am too exhausted to study. I tried studying a few days with a lot of determination, but then when i reach office, all my motivation is lost when i return home that day as there is no competitive environment around. Or should i continue my job?and how do i get the determination to study

31st January 2015, 12:13 PM
GreekScholar
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Should I quit job to prepare for GATE 2015?

I suggest you not to quit your job, because, nowadays it is very difficult to get a job in IT sector. And don't think that you are not getting any work to do at company, because most of the software companies do not involve freshers directly in project work, first they will let you know the basics like requirements, analysis, which are very important steps in software development life cycle. After completing the particular period, they will try to involve you in project work. So, continue in your job and try to get some experience in Software development cycle process, which will be helpful for you to gain a job at top MNC companies.
Moreover, you should try to join in some GATE coaching centers, which are offering coaching during weekends. Then try to prepare for upcoming GATE exam at evening time, after coming home. So, that you can continue in your job and you can also prepare for upcoming GATE exam.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?