21st May 2012, 06:52 PM
Unregistered

Is subject change possible after getting into IIT?

Is subject change possible after getting into IIT for example if I get into IIT with chemical as subject then after a time period can i make it to mechanical by doing good

22nd May 2012, 10:22 PM
vike
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Is subject change possible after getting into IIT?

There is provision of change of branch in almost all IITs, IT-BHU and ISM Dhanbad.
The rules could vary from institution to institution but change of branch is possible
in every institution.

The curriculum of first year of all engineering courses use to be same.
On the basis of performance in 1st year (Ist and IInd Semester combined) students
are allowed to apply for branch change.

There use to be few constraints
e.g.
-One should have at least xyz CGPA / % / GPA in 1st year to be eligible for branch change.
-The branch change to a particular branch is allowed only if total strength does not
get increased by more than xyz %.
-The branch change from a particular branch is allowed only if total strength does not
get decreased by more than xyz %.

To get detailed rules of individual IITs, you should refer the JEE counseling brochure.
The JEE counseling brochure should be soon available on the JEE website.

http://www.jee.iitb.ac.in/
30th May 2012, 06:46 PM
Unregistered

what practical CGPA is required in iit delhi to opt for change of branch for gen category from chem to CS/electrical
7th April 2013, 10:55 AM
Unregistered

sir how many subjects are there in iit and how many branches are there in iit like cs nd machenical etc
18th July 2013, 10:47 PM
Unregistered

Is it possible to go from 5yr courses to 4yr courses?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?