12th January 2016, 09:19 PM
Unregistered

Eligibility for Civil service exam? Is graduation necessary for writing Civil service exam?

Hi my name is Nitin Rathi and I have done my 12 class by Science Stream. I listened that graduation is necessary for giving the civil service Exams. Now my question is that in graduation what I should do. Should I do B.Tech or B.Sc?

12th January 2016, 11:37 PM
Prince8645
Senior Member+

Default Re: Eligibility for Civil service exam? Is graduation necessary for writing Civil service exam?

Yes, it is necessary to have graduation degree to appear for Civil Services examination.

Civil Service examination is conducted by UPSC every year and eligibility to appear for examination is :-

Candidate must have passed graduation from any recognised university.

Candidate's age must be between 21-32 years with relaxation in upper age limit for reserved category.

So, you are eligible to pursue either of B.Sc or B.Tech course as candidates with any stream are eligible to appear for examination. So, if you have interest in technical course you can pursue B.tech degree.

For more information about Civil Services examination visit athttp://www.upsc.gov.in
13th January 2016, 12:48 AM
ruthless
Member+

Default Re: Eligibility for Civil service exam? Is graduation necessary for writing Civil service exam?

Yes graduation is necessary for a student for writing civil service exams .
Eligibility criteria for civil service exams:

A citizen is of India.
Age limit for general categories - 21 to32.
Age limit for Sc/St categories - 37 .
Age limit for OBCs - 35.
Number of attempts - 6.
Number of attempts for Sc/St categories - no limit.
Number of attempts for OBCs- 7
13th January 2016, 10:04 AM
vinoth1922
Junior Member+

It depends on the interest in which field do you have and you are interested. Basically you have to know about the optional subjects available in UPSC exam so with that you can select the course that might be useful in attending the UPSC exam easily.

In my B.Sc Maths since you have taken Computer science, if you have taken Commerce then the best option is B.A Histoy/ B.A. Economics and many course available which ill be best suited departments in this field.
13th January 2016, 12:12 PM
palugulavenumadhav
Senior Member+++++

Yes, graduation is necessary to appear for Civil service examination.

The minimum eligibility criteria required to apply for Civil service examination is that the candidate must have passed graduation degree in any of the stream from a recognized university.

After completion of class 12, you can pursue either B.Tech or B.Sc according to your interest and passion. Both the courses are eligible to appear for civil service examination.
13th January 2016, 01:55 PM
taputanya
Senior Member+++++

Yes, it is necessary to pursue graduation to apply for civil services exam that is conducted by UPSC every year.

According to my suggestion if you are determined to get selected in civil services then you should go for BSc course that can completed within three years only.

Age limit 21-30 years and relaxation is given to reserved categories in upper age limit.
13th January 2016, 04:34 PM
Prashantwin
Senior Member+++++

Eligibility for Civil service exam :

Candidate must have passed graduation from any recognised university.
Age of candidate must be from 21 to 32 years. Relaxation in age is also there as per government norms.
There is no minimum percentage criteria.

Yes, graduation is necessary for writing Civil Service Exam.
13th January 2016, 04:39 PM
ajayrocks007
Senior Member+++++

Yes, degree in any stream is the required qualification for writing civil services exam which is conducted by UPSC every year. Hence, you have to complete the graduation first and then apply for it.

Also, there is an age limit which is 21 to 32 years for this exam. Hence, try to complete degree within this age and then apply for it.
13th January 2016, 04:50 PM
Rab Rakha
Senior Member+++

Candidates passed graduation in any discipline are eligible to appear for Civil Services examination, so you can pursue any course.

Civil Services examination is conducted by UPSC and to appear for examination the eligibility is candidate must have passed graduation and age between 21-32 years with relaxation in age for reserved category.

Yes, as according to your interest you are eligible to pursue B.tech or B.Sc as candidate of both the degree are eligible to appear for examination for more information about civil services examination visit at www.upsc.gov.in.
13th January 2016, 08:07 PM
avinash1997
Senior Member+++++

Civil Services Examination is conducted once every year by Union Public Service Commission for the recruitment of deserving applicants at the highest administrative post as an IAS / IPS / IFS officer,etc. .

--> Also the examination includes three phases which are commonly known as Preliminary Test, Mains and Personal Interview respectively.

--> For appearing in the same examination the minimum qualification which one must have are as below :-

* You must have the citizenship of India with your age lying within 21 years to 32 years in case you belong to general category as age relaxation is applicable for reserved category candidates as per the government norms.

* You must have completed your graduation degree course in any subject from a recognized university. Final year students are also eligible.

* Note :- Physical fitness are also required for few of the administrative posts like IPS, etc. .

--> Maximum number of attempts allowed for clearing the same examination also differs category wise as it is 6 attempts for general category, 9 attempts for OBC candidates where as there is no limits of attempts for SC/ST category.

For more details information regarding the same examination you can log on to the link www.upscexam.com or www.upsc.gov.in.
13th January 2016, 10:23 PM
BISWARUPYOGI
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi my name is Nitin Rathi and I have done my 12 class by Science Stream. I listened that graduation is necessary for giving the civil service Exams. Now my question is that in graduation what I should do. Should I do B.Tech or B.Sc?
Graduation degree is essential for Civil Service exam.

Those candidates who have completed graduation in any discipline from a recognized university are eligible for Civil Service exam. This exam doesn't require any percentage marks in graduation degree.

Age Criteria:

For General: 21 to 32 years
For OBC: 21 to 35 years
For SC/ST: 21 to 37 years

No. of Attempts:

For General: 5
For OBC: 9
For SC/ST: No Restriction

Selection process for Civil Service exam:

1)Preliminary test
2)Mains exam
3)Personal interview
13th January 2016, 11:04 PM
Aswiniteju
Senior Member+++++

Eligibility Criteria for Civil Service Examination:

Yes, what have you heard is absolutely right. The minimum educational qualification required to be eligible for appearing in Civil Services Examination is "Graduate Degree" or a Bachelor Degree in any discipline from a recognized university. Remember, candidates from both the backgrounds let it be B.Tech or let it be B.Sc are certainly eligible to appear in Civil Service Examination. Since both B.Tech or B.Sc are equivalent to graduate degree, I am sure you are certainly eligible to appear in Civil Service Examination. Firstly you are required to derive which stream you like the most and analyze your strengths and weaknesses. But as far as my knowledge is concerned, I suggest you to pursue B.Tech course in order to have good scope in future although B.Sc is an equivalent qualification. Candidates who are pursuing their final year of Graduation are also eligible to appear in Civil Services Preliminary and Main Examination. You may apply for Civil Services (CSAT) Recruitment Examination when you will be in final year of Graduation.
13th January 2016, 11:50 PM
Jits56
Senior Member++++

Quote:
Yes graduation is necessary for civil service examinations. The eligibility to write civil service examination is a Bachelor Degree in any stream from a recognised university. The civil service examinations are conducted by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). The upper age limit is 32 years for general category, for OBC it will be 35 years and for SC/ST it will be 37 years. There are Preliminary Exam, Mains Exam and Interview. The aspirant has to clear the Preliminary examination first for the other rounds. You can check the details in the website link given http://www.upsc.gov.in/
14th January 2016, 10:15 AM
GraphicDesiner

Quote:
Yes Graduation degree is necessary to apply in civil service Exams.

If you want to make your career in civil service, I suggest you to go for B.sc instead of B.tech, You will save your 1 year As B.tech is 4 year course and B.Sc is 3 year course.

Eligibility:

Maximum Age for General category is : 32
Maximum Age for SC/st is : 37
Maximum Age for OBC is : 35
Minimum age is 21
You must be Indian.

All the best.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?