22nd December 2016, 10:31 PM
Unregistered

Am I eligible to apply for JRF while doing Ph.D first year?

I am continuing my first year P.hd from ICAR recognized agricultural university. I want to appear for net and qualify JRF so as to avail the fellowship under it which can be helpful during the course of my PhD. Is it possible? Am I eligible to do it? Can you please provide me the right information?

23rd December 2016, 03:35 PM
taputanya
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Am I eligible to apply for JRF while doing Ph.D first year?

Eligibility to appear in JRF exam :

Applicants who have secured at least 55% in masters degree or equivalent examination from universities recognised by UGC in Humanities, social science, computer science, electronic science extra are eligible for this test . There is relaxation of 50% is given to schedule caste, schedule tribe, physically challenged. Applicants who have appeared or will be appearing at the qualifying masters degree examination at whose qualifying examination have been delayed me also apply for this test. Moreover the candidates who have completed their PhD degree are also eligible and relaxation of 5% is also given to them.
23rd December 2016, 06:35 PM
Ishaquekhan
Senior Member+++++

Yes, definitely you are eligible to appear for the NET examination while you are pursing your Ph.D course.
Since you have completed your Masters degree course from a recognised University, based on your qualification, you can appear for the NET examination.
23rd December 2016, 09:03 PM
jagrity7
Senior Member+++++

Yes, you are eligible to apply for JRF while doing Ph.D first year.

NET stands for National Eligibility Test. It is an entrance examination conducted at national level for the candidates who wishes to get teaching jobs in government university.The candidate who wants to pursue Ph.d. degree can also appear for the NET exam .

Eligibility criteria for NET : -

-The candidate must be an Indian.

-The candidate should have completed Masters degree in related subjects with minimum 55% of marks.Final year appearing student can also apply for the exam.

-The candidates appearing for JRF should not be above 28 years of age. The candidates appearing only for lectureship have no upper age limit. Age relaxation of 5 years will be given to SC/ST/OBC or physically disabled or women or visually handicapped.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?