29th April 2014, 09:01 PM
Unregistered

What is structure of GRE exam? Is TOEFL needed after GRE?

I want to know about the whole gre exam structure...
Is toefl is needed after GRE test?
I am studying in 3rd year btech mechanical....so tell about the whole guidance required from now itself...

12th May 2014, 11:18 AM
SudeepKumarSaha
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: What is structure of GRE exam? Is TOEFL needed after GRE?

There are three sections in the test : Verbal Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning and Analytical Writing.
1. VERBAL REASONING

The Verbal section of the new GRE Test contains three types of questions:
Reading Comprehension:-
For this part you will face 3 types of questions- Single answer multiple choice question, Multiple answers multiple choice questions and Select answers in passage questions.

Text Completion:-
Text Completion questions includes a passage composed of one to five sentences with one to three blanks. There are 3 answer choices per blank, or five answer choices if there is only single blank. There is a single correct answer, one choice for each blank. Partially correct answers won't give any credit though.

Sentence Equivalence:-
Sentence Equivalence questions consist of a single sentence, a blank and six answer choices. These questions require you to select 2 of the answer choices. No score for partially correct answers even for this.

2. QUANTITATIVE REASONING

A thorough knowledge of Indian high-school level mathematics can help you score great marks in this section. The types of questions in this section are:
Quantitative Comparison Questions

Compare 2 quantities- Quantity A and Quantity B
Multiple-choice Questions — Select One Answer Choice

Multiple-choice Questions — Select One or More Answer Choices

Numeric Entry Questions

No options are given to this question. You will have to calculate and type the answer below the question.
Data Interpretation Questions

Questions based on given data in form of bar-charts, pie diagrams, graphs.

3. ANALYTICAL WRITING

In this section, you will have to write (not write, type!) two essays.
Issue Analysis Task

In this, you would be given a sentence/claim/issue and you will have to discuss that issue in your words in various perspectives, giving different examples.
Argument Analysis Task

A paragraph would be given about a certain situation or an incident. You will have to find flaws in that paragraph or to point out various assumptions made by the author while writing that paragraph.

Do you have any question? or have anything to say?