Difference between Scholarship and Fellowship
Scholarships as well as fellowships are grants given to an individual for his performance. Although they seem similar, they are entirely different. A scholarship is a grant given to a candidate for his performance, like in an examination, or in any other general practice.
However, fellowships are given to candidates who have good score in their qualifying exam. Fellowships are grants given as stipends to PG and research candidates in their course of study. Certain competitive examinations are conducted for identifying the qualified ones for the fellowship. The fellowship is for a time line, mostly up to the completion of the program. It may last for a few days, months or a couple of years.
Candidates from school level can receive scholarships if they are eligible. The candidate receiving the scholarship can enjoy it as a whole. It may be a sum of money or certificates to honor PhD’s or likewise, or it may be the option to study in any of the renowned Universities for higher studies. For issuing scholarships in schools, certain organizations may conduct tests to select the best students. These organizations come forward to incur the expenses of these eligible scholars for their further education. PCM Scholarship Exam, National Talent Search Examination and so on are conducted in schools for this purpose.
Many Universities provide fellowships to the top-scored candidates while doing their masters’ programs. Fellowships are sum of money awarded to encourage them and to honor them for their top scores. Aspirants may receive the same as monthly stipends.
Key differentiators between Scholarship and Fellowship
Most scholarships are fellowships but no fellowships are scholarships. Scholarships are given to candidates from school level. However, fellowships are awarded to graduates and above only. Scholarships refer to grants in support of undergraduate education whereas fellowships refer to grants in support of post-baccalaureate projects, or to pre-baccalaureate projects pursued outside the normal curriculum.
- Private Scholarship for M.Tech Students in IITB
- Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship Scheme (RGNFS)
- Details of Ramanujan Fellowships
- Difference Between B.Tech. and B.E.
- Government Scholarship for M.Tech Students in IIT, Bombay
- Scholarship/Awards for M.Sc Chemistry Students in IITB
- CUHK Faculty of Law Master Scholarship 2009
- ICSSR 2011
- Scholarship Details in MITCOE
- University Grants Commission SAARC Fellowships
- Scholarships offered in ACEM
- Insurance Institute of India Fellowship Examination-Law and Economics of Insurance Papers
- Navajbai Ratan Tata Fellowship program 2009
- Difference between Fellowship and a Grant
- [Sholarships Updates] - Day 8