20th August 2010, 06:16 AM
chandan kumar verma

After b.tech should I go for IAS ?

sir,i am b.tech 1st year student of electrical and electronics engineering.i had a dream of qualifying IAS.sir please suggest me a path for preparation in these 4 years.

20th August 2010, 08:32 AM
richa420
Banned

Default Re: After b.tech should I go for IAS ?

frnd

Don't be in hurry 1st u study ur syllabus with full concentration nd peace nd complete ur B.Tech with good marks.During ur study period u should learn G.K. nd current affair.this is enough for u.

best of luck.
20th August 2010, 09:00 AM
Adarshxxx
Senior Member+

Dear frend,
its very good that in first year only you have started thinking for IAS....so my suggestion to you is keep studying your subjects thorouly and for the time being start reading general science.......after that you can start fot the mains exams
wish you all the best!!!!!!
20th August 2010, 09:01 AM
SANDEEP891985
Senior Member+++++

Hello friend,

The best thing you should do right now is to concentrate on your BTech. programme. Since you are in the first year, you have enough time to prepare for the IAS exam.

In the IAS exam, you will have to appear for compulsary papers like General studies, English, Essay . So you need to have good command over english language and general studies.

Apart from compulsary papers, you will also have the option of selecting any paper from the following list of subjects.
Agriculture Mathematics, Animal Husbandry & Vetinary Science, Mechanical Engineering Botany, Medical Science, Chemistry, Philosophy, Civil Engineering, Physics, Commerce,Political Science ,Economics ,Psychology Electrical Engineering Public Administration, Geography, Sociology, Geology, Statistics, Indian,History, Zoology,Law.

There are many books available in the book stores you can go through for the preparation of the exam. You must not restrict yourself to a single book written by a particular author. Try to read books written by as many authors as possible. Apart from preparing from reference books, you may also enroll yourself to a good institute or coaching center which prepares candidates for such examinations.

I would suggest you to take one step at a time and so, first of all, complete your BTech. programme and then give your 100% for the preparation of IAS exam.
20th August 2010, 10:44 AM
Unregistered

Please type your comment here and then click Submit.
hi, ur planning is nice.u can go a head .But dont neglect regular studies .prepare first NCERT BOOKS frm 9,10,11 12 classes.u will rock...!
20th August 2010, 10:46 AM
kool
Senior Member++

dear friend,
your dream is very appriciatable regarding IAS.

No doubt now a days IAS is most prestigious exam of India, & most of the graduates think about it.

As you a student of EEE in 1st year, so i would like to make an advise for you that kindly do thorough study of your departmental subjects, you will have to choose two out of them as a main paper for IAS.

& for preparation for PT you should always read newspaper & always touch with current affairs.

Now pattern of IAS exam has changed , so you have to study reasoning as well as maths also.

& read monthly magazine like Chronical, Pratoyita darpan etc which will help you to prepare for IAS exams & interviews.

good luck.
20th August 2010, 12:17 PM
imira
Senior Member+++++

After B.tech you can go for IAS.The eligibility for IAS is graduation with at least 50% marks. Your age should not be less than 21 years and not more than 30 years. There will prelims and main exam followed by an interview.
20th August 2010, 12:22 PM
Rickers

Hello friend,
Yes offcourse you can go for IAS exam. But as you are in first year of engineering you must have to complete your B.tech before appearing for IAS.
The general criteria for IAS will be graduation in any discipline of education and the candidate must not exceed 27 year of age.
So the are the basic eligibilities for appearing in IAS exam.
So first you complete your B.Tech ,this is the first path for IAS.
Good luck!!!!!!!
20th August 2010, 01:20 PM
ansh_ansh
Senior Member++++

dear friend,

every one know that IAS is one of the prestigious exam of the India.

really this very royal as well as administrative job,

if you have interest in the administrative and you determine to do this.

then i will suggest you that do not think more about this,just starts its

preparation.
20th August 2010, 01:59 PM
rohitkumarramesh
Senior Member++++

Hi

Yes you are eligible for the IAS examination. If you want to prepare yourself for the IAS exam the main thing you can do for the preparation of the exam that you should first get the syllabus for the IAS exam and prepare yourself according to that syllabus.

I have also given below the syllabus and eligibility for the IAS so you can concerned from there also. One more thing you can do that you can join some good institute where you learn many tricks which is helpful for you to face the examination.

Age Limits :

(a) A candidate must have attained the age of 21 years and must not have attained the age of 30 years on 1st August, 2010, i.e. he must have been born not earlier than 2nd August, 1980 and not later than 1st August, 1989.

(b) The upper age limit for IAS Exam prescribed above will be relaxable:

(i) upto a maximum of five years if a candidate belongs to a Scheduled Caste or a Scheduled Tribe.

(ii) upto a maximum of three years in the case of candidates belonging to Other Backward Classes who are eligible to avail of reservation applicable to such candidates.

(iii) upto a maximum of five years if a candidate had ordinarily been domiciled in the State of Jammu & Kashmir during the period from the 1st January, 1980 to the 31st day of December, 1989.

(iv) upto a maximum of three years in the case of Defence Services personnel disabled in operations during hostilities with any foreign country or in a disturbed area and released as a consequence thereof:

(v) upto a maximum of five years in the case of ex-servicemen including Commissioned Officers and ECOs / SSCOs who have rendered at least five years Military Service as on 1st August, 2010 and have been released (i) on completion of assignment (including those whose assignment is due to be completed within one year from 1st August, 2010) otherwise than by way of dismissal or discharge on account of misconduct or inefficiency, or (ii) on account of physical disability attributable to Military Service, or (iii) on invalidment.

Part A - UPSC Preliminary Examination - Optional Subjects
General Studies
Essay
Agriculture
Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
Botany
Chemistry
Civil Engineering
Commerce
Economics
Electrical Engineering
Geography
Geology
Indian History
Law

Mathematics
Mechanical Engineering
Medical Science
Philosophy
Physics
Political Science
Psychology
Public Administration
Sociology
Statistics
Zoology

Part B - UPSC Main Examination - Optional Subjects
General Studies
Essay
English Qualifying
Indian Languages
Mathematics
Agriculture
Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
Botany
Chemistry
Civil Engineering
Commerce
Economics
Electrical Engineering
Geography
Geology
Indian History
Law
Mathematics
Management
Mechanical Engineering
Medical Science
Philosophy
Physics
Political Science
Psychology
Public Administration
Sociology
Statistics
Zoology
Anthropology

Arabic
Assamese
Bengali
Bodo
Chinese
Dogri
English
French
German
Gujarati
Hindi
Kannada
Kashmiri
Konkani
Maithili
Malayalam
Manipuri
Marathi
Nepali
Oriya
Pali
Persian
Punjabi
Russian
Sanskrit
Santali
Sindhi
Tamil
Telugu
Urdu

So you have to really work hard if you want to clear this exam as this exam is not related to your field also.

GOOD LUCK
20th August 2010, 02:30 PM

It good that you are going to Electrical engineer, If you want to prepare for Civil services do following:-
1. Choose your subject as per requirement (Details on UPSC Site)
2. Make stong preparation for GK.
3. Study NCERT books
4. STUDY SOME CURRENT AFFAIRS BOOKS AND MAGZINES REGULARLY

ONLY do these thing but not to prepare for IAS EXAM just make ruitene, and at this time concentrate more on BE studies but aiming toward your dream Exam.
20th August 2010, 03:03 PM
poplu13
Senior Member+

HEy !! since you are in 1st year b.tech now first concentrate on your Engineering studies..There is no need to panic for IAS and other stuffs now...And who knows you may your mind by the end of four years...Plus if you want to join IAS ,I must tell you avarage students can easily pass the IAS exams with litlle sincere efforts..The courses thaT YOU HAVE TO STUDY FOR PREPARATION OF IAS EXAMS IS VAST..so you need to have a lot of patience first..dont get frustrated...Keep your mind cool..Complete your B.tech..Go to delhi,because very fine institutes for preparing IAS..\Take your time for full time to prepare for IAS..because you get only 3 chances...so you have to hit the bull's eye within three attempts..

GOOD LUCK !!
20th August 2010, 03:22 PM
robart
Senior Member+

dear friend,

i am very happy that your target is IAS.you can prepare for IAS exam.focus on your subjects which are taught in your college.

study well.make command on your branch's subjects.

you can appear in UPSC exam with electrical engineering subjects.

also focus on general studies.read news papers and magazines just like the hindu, india today.

best of luck.
20th August 2010, 04:03 PM
nischay rathi

Thumbs up Re: After b.tech should I go for IAS ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan kumar verma View Post
sir,i am b.tech 1st year student of electrical and electronics engineering.i had a dream of qualifying ias.sir please suggest me a path for preparation in these 4 years.
answer:
See my friend as your wish is to become an i.a.s officer is great you just see the site for the information on networking sites of upsc and also you have to be thorough with your 2 subjects, g.k. ,and social science,just start woking from next year or this year and all the best
20th August 2010, 04:41 PM
Adarshxxx
Senior Member+

Hi frend,
it depends totally on you whether you want to do IAS or not......and youe brsnch s such that you can definately go for IAS after b.tech....
20th August 2010, 04:59 PM
prashantmeghalia
Senior Member++

Smile Re: After b.tech should I go for IAS ?

Quote:
sir,i am b.tech 1st year student of electrical and electronics engineering.i had a dream of qualifying IAS.sir please suggest me a path for preparation in these 4 years.
you can apply for the ias exam after completion of your btech. since you are in first year only so you must concentrate on your studies only. you can start preparing for the exam in third year. right now don,t get diverted. just try to get good marks in btech because the exam of ias will contain some questions from your btech subjects.
20th August 2010, 05:38 PM
Raj333

dear friend
After b.tech you can go for IAS by giving the UPSC EXAM .
20th August 2010, 07:03 PM
subhasish
Senior Member++

Hello Friend

The following branches can apply for the IAF exam ,Electronics,Tele-communication, Electrical, Electrical Communication, Electronics & Communication, Instrumentation, Computer Science & Engineering.....

The second thing is that you must be in between the age of 18 to 28 years....

After fulfilling the eligibility criteria you will have to sit for the written exam named Engineering Knowledge Test also known as EKT....

Then you have to attend an interview.......That's all.....

Hope you understand the things...

Best Wishes
~Regards
Subhasish
20th August 2010, 07:46 PM
akiisrivastava004

Yes you may go for the IAS.Its really good that you are going out for such great career.

Best of luck.
20th August 2010, 07:52 PM
mohit brh

Dear friend,
Now you will have to concentrate on your study after 2years you can do preparation check
www.onestopias.com/ias-preparation.asp
www.civilserviceindia.com
www.go4ias.com
http://freshersworld.com/careers/civil_services/tips.htm

but important think which is you can do aptitude test preparation from dr. R.S. aggarwal and read magazines like CSR and newspapers the hindu.

all the best.
20th August 2010, 09:35 PM
RAVIJECRC

Thumbs up Re: After b.tech should I go for IAS ?

Quote:
sir,i am b.tech 1st year student of electrical and electronics engineering.i had a dream of qualifying ias.sir please suggest me a path for preparation in these 4 years.
hye,
i am also an enginering graduate.as ias changed its pattern and now it will be called csat(civil services aptitude test).so it will be easy for a maths background guy to clear pre.....

So try hard hard and focus on english and your b.e.more bcoz engineering also is not easy.......
20th August 2010, 09:47 PM
cenaetion
Senior Member+

dear friend,

yes u can go for IES after doing Btech, for that u just have to complete ur graduation, after that u can appear for IAS, u will get some administrative jobs under govt, like directors, secretary to PM, CM..

if u have interest in this field then u can go for IAS...
21st August 2010, 12:45 PM
Adarshxxx
Senior Member+

hi....this is a better move...........
u will hav lots of power.but its not easy......
bst of luck....
22nd September 2010, 11:04 PM
Unregistered

Sir i am in 3rd year b.tech electronics n comm. i have a definate aim for IAS . my english is my stronghold.But i wonder if my electronics subject create any hinderance. I mean should i also think of subject like history instead of my electronic subject..until now my b.tech percent is 80
22nd September 2010, 11:44 PM
helpmaster

Yes, you can go on for IAS exam after your betch final exams and you should be 21 years of age which is requiered qualification
23rd September 2010, 12:36 AM
avinash kr.
Banned

yes you can prepare for the IAS examination after b.tech because for ias preparation a student should have graduate..thanking you..best of luck...
23rd September 2010, 12:32 PM
chaitu667

Hai friend!

You got a goal in your mind and in your thoughts, thats great. Keep that grace till you succeed.

Since you are in the first year of your graduation there is lot more of time to prepare for IAS exam. Absolutely you can write IAS exam after your graduation.

There is no special preparation needed for this four years of college life but you can do so many things that will help you in the exam during B.Tech. All you need to do is keep up to date with the current affairs and your branch subjects. English is one of the most important prospect for IAS, so please improve your English as much as you can. You have to get a good percentage of marks, so that you will have confidence to write your IAS exam. After B.Tech there are lots of coaching centers which will teach you everything that comes into the account of IAS exam.

Good luck!
23rd September 2010, 08:38 PM
vike
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sir i am in 3rd year b.tech electronics n comm. i have a definate aim for IAS . my english is my stronghold.But i wonder if my electronics subject create any hinderance. I mean should i also think of subject like history instead of my electronic subject..until now my b.tech percent is 80
Dear friend
As a matter of fact electronics subject is not going to help you at all from the UPSC point of view. So your confusion is very much reasonable.
But in this situation I would recommend you to take your BTech serious to that extent so that your grades till now remains maintained.
Its good that you are definite for your aim but if any thing wrong happens you may need your BTech.
For now you take your BTech as full time and keep UPSC part time. Once you complete your Btech keep it completely aside and take UPSC as full time.
You can start your preparation now by making habit of reading news papers(THE HINDU) and Magazines(Chronicle, Pratiyogita Darapan, CSR). It will build your current affairs and help in General Studies. After 3-4 months you can start your preparation by going through mains subject as well. Give it 2-3 hours daily. It will be good enough for now.
Thank You
25th September 2010, 12:34 AM
subhash1206

Quote:
you should log on to the sites
www.onestopias.com/ias-preparation.asp
www.civilserviceindia.com
www.go4ias.com
http://freshersworld.com/careers/civil_services/tips.htm
best of luck
3rd November 2010, 08:32 PM
Unregistered

im a civil engineering graduate... i finished engineering, nw im searching for job... along with this, i want to do IAS.... so wt was the procedure should i do, and basically im a civil engineer, so which 1 is best among IAS AND IES...... and hw the procedure for apllying it... n which subjects should i take...? and i hav doubt on selection of subjects, is should we took all subjects for exams or only civil engineering..... and shall i study only the civil engineering syllubus, oe is there other subects also for study for my graduation for IAS exam
5th November 2010, 11:26 AM
ashwani avasthi

Post Re: After b.tech should I go for IAS ?

Dear,first of all you should complete your B.Tech with good score.This is good step, you can start your preparations form 1st year B.Tech.Do Work Hard and good luck.
8th November 2010, 03:24 PM
megha ram singh

Red face Re: After b.tech should I go for IAS ?

You are in first year, I think you should focus on your studies and on the other side you should increase your knowledge in other fields, because in IAS entrance exam there are questions from other subjects like general knowledge, history, geography, english, reasoning,etc.
so..all the best for your future..

do well in your life and don't take any decision in hurry..
9th November 2010, 06:17 PM
malini k

dear friend ,
you can go for IAS after completing your B-tech with at least 50% marks.So concentrate on your graduation and refer two news papers daily for updating your self with the current affairs.Take short notes of day to day events and that book will help you very much.After completing B-tech you can give full concentration on your optional papers....Read lot !think lot! I think that is the success formula of IAS.
Good luck friend...!
9th November 2010, 06:35 PM
chandana Reddy

hi....
its a really nice idea to take up IAS after btech,...during your course you focus on subjects like aptitude,general studies,general english.... once you complete your graduation ,you can take up IAS exam..

good luck
26th January 2011, 07:24 AM
jits
Senior Member++++

You can join the coaching centers if you feel comfortable in handling both your B.tech course along with the training provided in the Institute.If you feel some what stress in handling both the subjects then its better that you join the training course when your in the final year of your graduation course.

Well,as you have mentioned that its your dream to qualify in CSAT hence its better that you go through the coaching process from the first year itself.

But before joining any coaching center make sure that your good in the basic part i.e history and Civics,Geography,English.You can just go through the syllabus in the following site

http://syllabus.iupsc.com/csat/

As you see the syllabus consists of the basic part hence its better that you
prefer books of Goyal Brothers Prakashan/NCERT of 9th and 10th ICSE/CBSE standards.For current events its better that you read "The Hindu" newspaper daily.

There are many Institutes all over India but only few Institutes has got the top mark success.So,choose the Institute based on your locality in the following site

www.civilserviceindia.com/ias-coaching/
27th January 2011, 09:18 PM
abhimanyu2688

Hello Friend,
As you said IAS is your dream, then you should definitely go for it.
To become IAS you will have to qualify UPSC Civil Services Exam which is conducted every year.
The first step is that you should know about this exam properly i.e. its pattern, syllabus and the scheme of questions asked through previous year asked questions. The syllabus for the exam is given on the www.upsc.gov.in
So, to qualify the exam please select your subject for the exam and labour hard on the subjects to get command on the subjects.
Besides the optional subjects you should also keep working hard on GS, and also on aptitude paper.
You must finish History and Geography of Class 11 and 12 also.
You can also join coaching institutes to know about the exams more deeply and the pattern of questions asked, and for methods of preparations.
You should also spent time in self study which is the key to success and also be honest with your studies.
Good Luck.
6th March 2011, 07:56 PM
Unregistered

sir, i just complete my B.E(Mechanical) and i was got the job but my dream was in civil. Plz guide me wat i do . can i left my job or cont. I m in private job and in this i m not spend such time 4 study. will teaching job is good 4 me 4 this preparation? help me Plz
14th May 2011, 10:41 AM
Unregistered

is interview based on optional subjects or in general?????
30th May 2011, 09:59 AM
Unregistered

I have join preparation class dis year 4 iitjee but could not get a comfortable rank so i will have too get b.tech by aieee. now i want to be an ias instead of iitian. wat should i do 4 it?
1st June 2011, 12:29 AM
BISWARUPYOGI
Senior Member+++++

Quote:

IAS CRITERIA
(i) Age limits :
21-30 years. (Upper age limit relaxable for SCs/STs, OBCs and certain other categories).

(ii) Educational Qualifications :
Bachelor’s degree of a recognised university with at least one of the subjects namely Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Botany, Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Physcs, Statistics and Zoology or a Bachelor's degree in Agriculture, Forestry or in Enginerring or an equivalent qualification

(iii) No. of permissible attempts :
Four (Seven attemps of OBCs and no limit for SCs/STs )

YOU ARE APPLICABLE FOR THIS POST.
5th June 2011, 07:15 PM
Unregistered

sir, i am frm kashmir.i am doing bsc.2nd year.it is my live dream to qualify i.a.s.plz tell me such a thing so that i may burn my midnight over that.also i am good at eng. Wil it benifit me.
21st June 2011, 02:22 AM
Unregistered

After batchloer of Bussiness Management(BBM) should i go for IAS ?
22nd June 2011, 12:12 PM
Unregistered

iam 2nd b.tech student & i have 3 ariers i.e., 3 backlogs in 1st year b.tech .Now can i eligible 2write ias exam . . . . . . . . . . .if iam eligible plz give suggestions about ias prep . . . . . . .
6th July 2011, 11:46 AM
vishal jaybhaye
Senior Member+

dear friend,

it is strictly depends upon your likes , goal and of course interests .

it is really better to give the civil service exams after the b.tech

there are 3 steps of the exam

1) preliminary exam
2) main exam
3) interview

these are dependent of each other means if you score the good marks in the preliminary exam then you will be called for the main exam and if you score good marks in the main exam then you will be called for the interview.

as you are doing b.tech in electrical and electronics engineering .
you can choose the subject related to the electrical branch that is electrical engineering in the optional subject of the preliminary and main exam.

for all the information about the IAS exam and notifications kindly visit the website

www.upsc.gov.in

thanks
8th July 2011, 01:16 AM
umathkavi

Yes after B.Tech you can surely apply for IAS.

To apply for IAS your age should be 21-30 years for general category.
For OBC it should be 33 years maximum.
For ST/SC it should be 35 years maximum.

You should be a graduate in any disciple.

The maximum trial for the general category is 4 times.
For obc it is 7 times and for ST/SC it is as many trials they can give until they become under aged for IAS.

For preparing for IAS you should have a very strong general knowledge, you should have a good knowledge of the current affairs.
As the syllabus is very broad you have to make a time table to cover all the portions as you are also pursuing you B.Tech.

The entrance examination is divided into three main stages
Preliminary exam.
Main exam.
Interview.

If you clear all these stages you will become an IAS officer.

For more information please visit www.upsc.gov.in
22nd July 2011, 10:56 PM
pops07
Senior Member+++++

If your dream is becoming an IAS, then keep in mind the following things...

Your age should be between 21 years and 30 years....the age is calculated on the basis of 1st of August of the year applying for it.
[33 years for Sc/ST]

You can apply for IAS in your final year of B.tech or after completing it.

But you can start preparation from now...

You should have good knowledge in current affairs and social issues.
[Because you need to have very strong in that]

The Exam is basically divided into two parts...

1. Preliminary
2. Main

In Preliminary, 2 papers are there...

Each paper carry 200 marks and duration is 2 hours.

In main exam you have to select the optional subjects...Any two subjects (each having 2 papers) to be selected from the optional subjects.
Each paper is of 3 hours duration.

You should those subjects in which you can score good marks.

those subjects which you love to learn and have very much interest.

And last thing is 'Be confident'!

So if you take care of the above things, you can easily crack IAS exam.

official website-- http://www.upsc.gov.in
13th September 2011, 01:18 AM
Unregistered

hi sir......
Presently I'm doing my B.E final year. I'm planning to write I.A.S Exam. Can you suggest certain ideas to go through it??
Can you mail me the details to my id : [email protected]
1st November 2011, 09:18 PM
Unregistered

hello sir,
i m a mca student i want prepare to I.A.S Exam. can u suggest some idia to go through it?
3rd November 2011, 10:34 AM
top answer

Hi there!
IAS officers are the apex bureaucrats of our country.
So its an obvious option for you after you B.Tech(no matters,whatever your bachelor's degree is).
IAS entrance examination require the following basic criteria:
1.You should have to be a Bachelor's degree holder atleast.
2.Your gar should be in between 21-30
(relaxation of 3,5 and 10 years for OBCs,ST/SC and PH respectively)
3.You can appear the examination atmost 4 times
(7 times if you belong to OBC and no limit for ST/SC)

EXAMINATION PROCEDURE
There are 3 stages for you to be an IAS officer.

1.CSAT
CSAT(civil services aptitude test) or the preliminary test have the following examination pattern

If you clear this you will move to the next stage

2.Final Written test
Unlike the CSAT,it is a subjective witten test.
Here you have to choose any one of the following subjects.

After successful completion of this level you will move to the 3rd stage.

3.Personal Interview
Here it is the last stage,from where around 100 people are selected to become IAS officer every year.

ALL THE BEST.........
4th November 2011, 08:34 AM
sheshadev senapati
Senior Member++

hi,
The best thing you should do right now is to concentrate on your BTech. programme. Since you are in the first year, you have enough time to prepare for the IAS exam.

In the IAS exam, you will have to appear for compulsary papers like General studies, English, Essay . So you need to have good command over english language and general studies.

Apart from compulsary papers, you will also have the option of selecting any paper from the following list of subjects.
Agriculture Mathematics, Animal Husbandry & Vetinary Science, Mechanical Engineering Botany, Medical Science, Chemistry, Philosophy, Civil Engineering, Physics, Commerce,Political Science ,Economics ,Psychology Electrical Engineering Public Administration, Geography, Sociology, Geology, Statistics, Indian,History, Zoology,Law.

There are many books available in the book stores you can go through for the preparation of the exam. You must not restrict yourself to a single book written by a particular author. Try to read books written by as many authors as possible. Apart from preparing from reference books, you may also enroll yourself to a good institute or coaching center which prepares candidates for such examinations.

I would suggest you to take one step at a time and so, first of all, complete your BTech. programme and then give your 100% for the preparation of IAS exam.
thanks
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?