13th April 2011, 12:31 AM
SHTAMASREE SUR

Am I eligible to appear for NET in Linguistics after doing Masters in ELT?

I have done my masters in ELT i.e. English Language Teaching after graduation in English Honours.Am I eligible to appear in NET in Linguistics?

16th April 2011, 02:44 AM
imira
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Am I eligible to appear for NET in Linguistics after doing Masters in ELT?

It is a must that the candidate should select the stream based on what they studied in Masters course. Since you did your Masters in ELT you cannot choose to do the same in Linguistics. Also since there is no subject on ELT in the list you cannot appear for the NET exam. You need to do a masters course in any of the streams to become a lecturer.
19th April 2011, 03:48 PM
Unregistered

Default Re: Am I eligible to appear for NET in Linguistics after doing Masters in ELT?

i have completed my M.A. in Linguistics from BHU with CGPA of 7.75.Now I want to appear in net exams.suggest some centers near Gujrat,jamnagar and some information about the exam.
20th May 2011, 01:06 PM
Unregistered

Plz tell me wheather i am eligible for M.A.in linguistics after having done my graduation in communicative English
13th June 2011, 06:11 PM
Unregistered

i have just passed my BA in english litrature and want to do my masters in the same , so can i apply for NET entrance exam to be a lectrur and what is the syllabus for that and i also want to know the eligibility criteria for that .
8th September 2011, 12:02 AM
Unregistered

i have done my ma in englith lower percentage so can i do something in linguistics?
26th September 2011, 01:13 PM
Unregistered

i am this time in second semester linguistics in kashmir university, am i eligible for net entrance?
13th August 2012, 05:27 PM
Unregistered

i have done masters in English Language Teaching what stream should i choose to sit for net exams
13th August 2012, 08:16 PM
subhangnambardar
Senior Member+

Hello ,

It is a must that the candidate should select the stream based on what they studied in Masters course.

Since you did your Masters in ELT you cannot choose to do the same in Linguistics. Also since there is no subject on ELT in the list you cannot appear for the NET exam.

You need to do a masters course in any of the streams to become a lecturer.
27th December 2012, 04:18 PM
pistolshy

I prefer to disagree on the subject of eligibility as it is mentioned that you are eligible to appear for the subject of your specialization or any related subject specific to your specialization. e.g if you have a MA in Development Studies, you can appear for the subject of Sociology or Social Work. Just because Development Studies per se does not appear in the list of subjects, does not render the candidate ineligible. Similarly, if you are a LLM with Human Rights as your specialization, you can choose to sit for NET in Human Rights instead of Law, if you choose to.

In the same manner, if you have a degree in English or English Language Teaching with Linguistics as your specialization, you can also opt for NET in Linguistics. It s a matter of common sense also that nobody will sit for an exam especially NET if he/she is unqualified in or to teach the subject. And even if he/she does, and somehow manages to pass, the NET result itself proves his knowledge and qualification to teach the subject.

Ask yourself another question, if you have done your MA in English Language Teaching and then you cannot teach English, because UGC did not list it in the NET list of subjects, why the hell did they sanction such a course in the first place? of course, the subject you choose to appear for in NET should have been part of your specialization to put matters in the right perspective.

There is a coterie of people who oppose this approach, but I guess its in their own self(ish) interest to keep the competition away from themselves.
5th May 2013, 07:11 PM
Unregistered

Can I after doing M.A in English Literature go for M.A in Linguistics?
26th November 2013, 05:02 PM
Unregistered

I have done my masters in ELT i.e. English Language Teaching after graduation in English Honours.Am I eligible to appear in NET in Linguistics?
28th October 2014, 11:55 AM
Unregistered

I have done Masters in Mass Comms and Journalism, but i want to appear in NET for Liguistics, is it Possible?
28th October 2014, 11:57 AM
Unregistered

I have done Masters in Mass Comms and Journalism, I want to appear in Net for Linguistics, Am i eligible to appear as i have deep interest in it?
28th October 2014, 11:58 AM
Unregistered

I have done Masters in Mass Comms and Journalism, but i want to appear in NET for Linguistics, Am i eligible for it as i have deep interest in it?
17th July 2017, 11:42 PM
Unregistered

I have completed my MA in ELT, now, as there is no ELT in NET, can I appear in NET in any other discipline?
4th January 2020, 03:12 PM
Unregistered

Am I eligibe to select "Linguistic" subject for NET exam as I have dond my M.A. in English(Literature). And I had one of Linguistic Subject at my final year that was" Structure of Modern English"
17th May 2022, 11:54 PM
Unregistered

I am studying ma in elt . Am i eligible for net exam ?
18th May 2022, 12:05 AM
Unregistered

Am i eligible for net exam after completing ma in ELT ?
15th June 2022, 10:52 PM
Unregistered

MA ELT is not MA English (Litt.)
Someone up on the thread is antsy and misinformed. Of course, MA ELT degree holders can teach in English, but if you meant English in terms of the traditional, colonialistic idea of the old MA English literature degree, than yes, MA ELT cannot teach MA English (Litt.) Papers.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?