22nd June 2010, 12:18 PM
Devender007

IAS or CAT, which exam to prepare?

i am an mechanical engineering student.iam in 2nd year presently.iam confused whether to go for IAS or CAT.please help me out.

5th July 2010, 08:56 AM
murali009

Default Re: IAS or CAT, which exam to prepare?

hi....IAS is better option ,but there is lot of competition in this exam,
About 300 to 400 candidates are finally selected each year out of the nearly 400,000, but only a rank in the top 50-100 guarantees an IAS or IFS selection.but CAT it is not much tht type....first try for IAS if u have tht capability...CAT is simple then IAS if u got less percentile u can join in any colz....salary is more for MBA ....
all the best....
5th July 2010, 10:39 AM
rahul k
Senior Member+++++

Dear friend

I think IAS is the best option. So if you are interested in IAS then first complete your Bachelors Degree only then you are eligible for IAS exams. So please go for only one
side either IAS or CAT. So please choose according to your choice and interest and
if you want to complete study material for IAS and CAT, then please visit this given
site-

http://www.tcyonline.com/india

For more detail regarding IAS exams, then please visit -

http://www.civilserviceindia.com

http://www.upscexam.com
5th July 2010, 11:09 AM
NISAMTI

HI, YOU THE ASKED TWO COURSES WHICH ARE TOTALLY OF ONE'S OWN INTERET...
FIRST COURSE-IAS:IANDIAN ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICE..U MUST HAVE DEDICATION TO DO THIS JOB..HE MUST HAVE A BURNING DESIRE TO SERVE PEOPLE..THE PAY NOT SO HIGH..BUT YOU MUST BE SINSERE..FOR THIS,YOU MUST PREPARE FOR CIVILS..AFTER COMPLETLY YOUR ENGINEERING YOU WRITE CIVILS..THERE WILL BE HEAVY COMPETITION...DEPENDING UPON THE SCORE IN THE EXAM,YOU ARE SELECTED...YOU MUST STRIVE HARD....MUST PREPARE FOR IT..SUPPOSE...IT IS 100 MARKS..IF THE HIGHEST MARK IS 99..HE WILL BE APPOINTED AS IAS...THERE ARE SEVERAL IAS,IPS,FOREST OFFICERS.....etc..SO,PREPARE FROM NOW THE CIVILS..YOU WILL BETTER RESULTS..CAT...IT IS ENTRANCE TEST FOR THE MOST FAMOUS B-SCHOOLS OF MANAGMENT STUDIES..NOT ONLY IN INDIA..THROUGH OUT THE WORLD,IF U THE DEGREE OF MBA IN THOSE B-SCHOOLS(A-GRADE)..YOU WILL BE PREFERED COMPARTIVELY TO OTHERS...THEY WILL HIGH AMOUNT OF PAY...IT IS VERY TO GET ADMINISSION IN THOSE B-SCHOOLS..FOR EVERY 100 MEMBERS WHO ARE IN THE SHORT-LIST OF THAT EXAM..0NE WILL BE SELECTED..IT IS NATIONAL WIDE EXAM...NEXT TO IT..THERE MAT..IT IS ALSO NATIONAL WIDE EXAM..IT IS SOMEWHAT LESS STANDARISED COMPARATIVLY TO CAT...HERE..THERE WILL BE SCOPE SOME TO DO GET THE SEAT IN B-SCHOOLS (B-GRADE) OF MANAGMENT STUDIES..
MY SUGGESTION IS ONLY TO STRIVE HARD AND KEEP YOUR EFFORTS TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT..WHICHEVER COURSE YOU TAKE..."IN IAS ...LESS PAY...AND YOU CAN SERVE THE SOCIETY DIRCTLY..THROUGH YOUR QUALIFICATION...BUT IF IT MBA...YOU WILL HAVE HIGH PAY AND YOU CAN SERVE THE SOCIETY INDIRECTLY..SO,I HAVE GIVEN YOU THE IMPORTANCE AND NATURE OF BOTH THE COURSES AND THEIR JOBS...YOU CHOOSE THE PATH..OKAY..FINE...I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST FREND
AND COMING THE MOST INTELLECTUAL ORIENTED TEST...IT IS VERY DIFFICULT..AND IF YOU WANT TO SELECT IN IT..YOU MUST STUDY WITH DEDICATION,SINCERE,THE ZEAL TO GET THE SEAT...
5th July 2010, 09:49 PM
Gop
Senior Member+

Thumbs up Re: IAS or CAT, which exam to prepare?

Hi,

IAS or CAT?
Interested in public service? or to become a businessman or A role of Manager in MNC?

What is your interest.? Both has its priority. Both requires great IQ and EQ.
All depends on your outlook towards your future. Where you want yourself to be? Both requires great administration skills.

No great difference between both. The difference is,

IAS- A public service. A reputed career in Indian Bureaucracy. Greatly honored position in India.
CAT- A service to MNC or your own firm.Again, a reputed career.Great remuneration.

Its your decision and self analysis, which is required.

All the best.
6th July 2010, 12:53 AM
Shagun Makin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devender007 View Post
i am an mechanical engineering student.iam in 2nd year presently.iam confused whether to go for IAS or CAT.please help me out.
Dear friend Both are tough exams and have its own value in the coming future.

If you have enough knowledge of history,civics,geography and Gk then you look forward to give the exam of IAS.

But if you are good in DI(data interpretations),aptitude etc then you look forward to give CAT.

This will help you a lot.
6th July 2010, 08:48 AM
SANDEEP891985
Senior Member+++++

Hello friend,
What if you were given options like MBA or MBBS? Which one you will go for?
It completely depends upon your skill and interest. I dont think that you always wanted to be an IAS officer. You are pursuing mechanical engineering and you must had a different goal before the idea of IAS came into your mind.
But its alright, As soon as you complete your graduation, you can write the civil service exam for IAS but do make sure what exactly you want to be. your decision must not be influenced by anyone else but should be based on your ablility, interest and most important, your ultimate goal.
6th July 2010, 09:45 AM
subhasish
Senior Member++

Dear Friend
CAt stands for Common Aptitude Test and is basically for the management degree whereas
IAS stands for Indian Administrative Services and is basically for the managing the bureaucracy of both the Union Government (Central Government) and the state governments, with its officers holding strategic posts across the country.

Now it is totally your choice whether you are interested in the field of management or you want to go in the field of bureaucracy.Think with cool mind and take the decision after all it is your future.

All the best....
6th July 2010, 03:27 PM
NISAMTI

i do not agree with you...there is of competition for CAT...but...the main thing that...CAT-here the core syllabus for writing is so tough...but the competition will be tough...the interviewers who selects the incapable candidates in the first round...like that..in the same way...here only...capability of the student in cat..for example,if there are 10 valuable students in 11...they will select.....for the adminission...but you need to have job experience also...but it is an easy thing...but..if you entered in top b-school of managment...you can assure that you will have a gold future literally..high remuneration will be paid...but in IAS..it is not like that...THE COMPETITION..WE CAN GET GOOD...ACCORDIN TO THE RANKS IN THE JOBS...AND THE PAY CANT BE EXPECTED MORE....IT IS TOTALLY SERVICE ORIENTED
6th July 2010, 07:30 PM
Devender007

Please guide me through the preparation process which i should follow while going for IAS.plz plz plz
7th July 2010, 02:01 PM
imira
Senior Member+++++

IAS (Indian Administrative Services) can lead to the different fields of civil services. CAT - Common Admission Test is the Management Entrance Tests in India that is conducted by the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) for admission to MBA. One needs to identify his interests and choose IAS or CAT that is best suited to him.
7th July 2010, 05:04 PM
kshitijawadhiya

Quote:
both are very reputed exams not only in india but also in the world too
if you want white money go for cat
if you want higher post and honour and few troubles also then go for IAS.
8th July 2010, 01:15 PM
pinnache

ias is your govermental industrial block while cat is management entry test.
you should think how you could captivate,whether through cat or ias ,you like.
ias is quite tough,needs a rigorous preparation.
cat coaching can be done in parallel with engg, studies
11th July 2010, 11:48 PM
pinnache

IAS or CAT examination are highly competitive.
dont think them as easy passing exams,anyone can clear.
you need to elaborate yourself,and with a single minded dedication you should prepare for 1 single exam,you cant take both.
12th July 2010, 08:25 AM
nillu
Senior Member+

Both the exams are best in their fields and totally different in their fields. You have to start as a biggener in both. Both require lots of hard work. By going fir IAS you will get higher official post in govt. whereas by opting for CAT you could join any of the top MNCs of the country or world.
Also if you have enough resources you can easily opt for CAT but if you have limited resources better yu should opt for IAS

Best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
12th July 2010, 12:13 PM
Dkiran

hi friend,everything depends on your interest k,if you want to become an IAS officer which is very good status in society,and if you want to go for a job in companies then you need to go for CAT exams.
Choice is yours.
All The Best.
12th July 2010, 09:25 PM
parhitoshika
Senior Member+

i think cat is better,
management skill is to provogue your capability to innovate.
there are lot of courses starting from mba,which you can give after cat.
13th July 2010, 02:45 PM
ansh_ansh
Senior Member++++

You have to start as a beginner in both. Both require lots of hard work. By going fir IAS you will get higher official post in govt. whereas by opting for CAT you could join any of the top Mn Cs of the country or world.Also if you have enough resources you can easily opt for CAT,
14th July 2010, 09:20 PM
NISAMTI

in simple..IAS-service oriented,less salary.it is public related job..if you wany earn more better pot cat..if you love serving..it's the most valuable job-IAS...but it not so easy...you must do so much of hard work for.for that you must have minimum qualification is degree(graduation).it's an open competition.both are tough..you must keep effort any of those..but,comparatively cat is easy for engineering students..as the questions will somewhat tough and IAS is competitive one.you can good rank..but,IAS will be to the persons who better that is the rank must be in tens and hundreds.where as in CAT ...from the first step itself filteration starts for skilled pupil..so,i better you choose the whether service or money
15th July 2010, 09:19 AM
solution
Senior Member++++

hello dear

IAS and CAT are both the different exam.

IAS exam for getting jobs in govt administrative services.

CAT exam for getting chance in MBA colleges.

according to me IAS will be very good carrier option for you....

best of luck.....
15th July 2010, 02:38 PM
karthu
Senior Member+

hai
Its up to you. If you are interested in civil services, do IAS. Otherwise Tke the other one.IAS require more skill & hardwork than the latter.
28th August 2010, 01:49 PM
rajesh gupta 1

Dear friend;

Both exam IAS & CAT are the best, But in both

IAS is best. Because IAS is the top most prestegious

exam in india. This gives directly oppurtunity to

work for needed people.
29th August 2010, 12:22 AM
poplu13
Senior Member+

IAS is much better as it helps you earn your Respect..and dignity...But nevertheless it is quite tough than CAT...The course for IAS exam is very VAST..and CAT is mostly general apptitude and Data interpretation and english at a higher level...
29th August 2010, 03:35 AM
cenaetion
Senior Member+

dear friend,

It is your choice, where to go.. if you want to do administrative jobs then go for IAS.

if you have interest in management field then go for CAT..

now you decide in which field you want to go...

both are very tough exam..

for cracking these type exam you have to take very good preparation..

all the best..
31st August 2010, 07:54 PM
August
Senior Member+

friend

According to me , firstly you should concentrate on your study of B.Tech .

My friend ,preparation of either CAT or IAS depend on your choice as both are
very prestigious exam and in future you will be eligible for both exam.

If you will get admitted in IIM through CAT you will placed in a very
prestigious MNC on highest package .So you should go for CAT

Best of luck
31st August 2010, 08:27 PM
Bishwajit Giri
Senior Member+++++

Dear friend,
it is totally depend upon you,in which course you have interest.
if you wanna money,status then you can go for MBA which is totally business line.

if you wanna permanent job,you can go for IAS.

for more visit:

Good luck.
31st August 2010, 08:40 PM
KHAN20

dear friend
i think it totally depend upon u mentality. if u r interested to go in management & business sector then u must choose MBA.In MBA u get the subjects r
1.financial management.
2.business & accounting.
3.human resourse & devlopment management
4.marketing manage ment.
u choose any one of the above subject.
and i think u get good post plus good salary 's job.
bt if u r not interested to go in management sector then u choose IAS.that also very reputed job.
so take decission & make ur bright future.
good luck.
31st August 2010, 09:01 PM
robart
Senior Member+

dear friend,

as you are studying mechanical engineering in your B.tech. so for you it will be easy for you to go for IAS

as in IAS exam there is a subject of mechanical engineering.so you can perform better.

but you are free to choose any subjects.

for CAT you have to prepare for aptitude tests and analytical reasoning which is out of syllabus of your B.tech. course.

so IAS will be better choice.

all the best.
31st August 2010, 10:14 PM
shipra saxena

Quote:
since you are a mechanical student you should try out for ias exam but the competition is very high
15th November 2010, 07:59 PM
chandana Reddy

hi..
i think IAS is the best option for you since you are from a mechanical background..

good luck
15th November 2010, 11:40 PM
ashish121

both r better option for cat
testfunda.com
mindworkzz.com
tcyonline.com
pagalguy.com
for ias
you can get the model questions

16th November 2010, 01:04 PM
manika_choudhury

You are only in second year now. There are lots of time for you to prepare for IAS or CAT. I think it will be better for you if you prepare for CAT. Because there is so much compettion in IAS. You need to give much much time for preparation of IAS. If you are a hard-working student, if you are confidence enough then you can go for IAS otherwise go for CAT.
16th November 2010, 08:03 PM
vignesh_747

Hi friend both Exams are highly valuable for your life but choose your role model public service or ....your mentality,Heart needs,ability,acheivement and satification will give the best nswer
16th November 2010, 09:18 PM
kapilaggarwal

Smile Re: IAS or CAT, which exam to prepare?

ofcourse IAS............IAS is really uncomprable to any exam...i think u must go for this n enjoy a good life...all the very best....take care...
kapil aggarwal
study point
meerut
9897980392http://entrance-exam.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif
Smile
24th November 2010, 10:55 AM
Unregistered

ACTUALLY I TOO HAVE A SIMILAR DILEMMA..... FIRST OF ALL ASK YOURSELF WHAT DO YOU SEE YOURSELF AS IN THE NEXT 5 YEARS?? IF YOU WANT RESPECT AND WANT TO SERVE YOUR COUNTRY THEN IAS MAYBE YOUR IDEAL EXAM, MOREOVER WITH THE SIXTH PAY COMMISSION YOUR SALARY IS NOT SO LOW AS WAS THE CASE EARLIER. THE MOST CHERISHED PART ABOUT THIS CAREER IS TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF RESPECT AND POWER.
CAT ON THE OTHER HAND IS ANOTHER MOST SOUGHT AFTER AND PURSUED EXAM. THE PACKAGE PAID BY MNCs ESPECIALLY IS AWESOME, BUT BESIDES EARNING MONEY ALL YOUR LIFE YOU DO WANT TO ACHIEVE SOMETHING FOR YOURSELF BEFORE YOU BITE THE DUST.
WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY IS NOT TO OPT FOR EITHER ONE OF THESE SIMPLY, BUT SEE YOUR POINT OF INTEREST, YOUR PERSONALITY AND THEN WHOLE HEARTEDLY AND CONFIDENTLY PURSUE ONE WHICH SUITS YOU, AND THEN ONCE YOU GO FOR IT THEN THERE'S NO TURNING BACK...
I MYSELF AM SITTING FOR THE CAT 2011 (WHICH WILL BE MY FINAL YEAR AS A U.G. STUDENT), NOT FOR THE SAKE OF DOING AN MBA BUT FOR PRACTISING MY APPTITUDE SECTION(i.e. CSAT) FOR MY IAS. ALL THE VERY BEST!!! IT'S YOUR GO NOW.....
27th November 2010, 03:00 PM
Unregistered

guys can anyone tell...wat is d starting pay for ias
4th January 2011, 12:36 PM
Unregistered

hi all!
I am a B.Tech graduate..2010 passed out! currently,am working in central government!i want to achive something high !and also not
for money only.. am interested !!pls help me out!!
12th January 2011, 07:43 PM
subho19
Senior Member+++

Wink Re: IAS or CAT, which exam to prepare?

Quote:
Dear friend,
You can take admission through the UPSC exem in IAS or IPS or IES ..
13th January 2011, 05:17 PM
hunk7009
Junior Member+

Hai friend ias have more complexity like first it will have preliminary exams then if qualified you will have main exams,interviews etc..so go for cat exam,it will be better for you..good luck.
18th January 2011, 05:11 PM
Unregistered

IT IS UP TO U tat hw much u can earn from others pocket
17th March 2011, 09:45 PM
aditya436
Senior Member++++

IAS Indian Administrative Service

CAT Common Admission Test

IAS is a civil service which is the cadre of selection in the third stage of CSE

this is completely different from CAT

if you have interest to do service for people and develop india with your hands then go with IAS

If you choose for IAS you should not care for Salary ..

because you'll get 100 times less when compared to CAT MBA

but you should don't care for Salary as the respect for an IAS officer can't be bought in the market for a million bucks.

so be with it..

i suggest you to continue with IAS if you have 21 years of age..

if you don't have the require age for IAS then go with MBA

and after taking your degree attempt IAS

all the very best

~aditya~
4th June 2011, 06:45 PM
Unregistered

hiii... alll
Iam 2010 electronics engg. passout , working in an MNC with very high pay,,,,, but there is always a question inside me , wat Iam doing....I never thought of IAS I just loved glamorous life and luckily got it at so early stage many of my time is spended in 5star hotels................... but I always feel something is missing......dnt no wat.............
Plz help me in case as vy I am facing thisssss..................
15th June 2011, 11:46 PM
Aman Kumar Sharma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hiii... alll
Iam 2010 electronics engg. passout , working in an MNC with very high pay,,,,, but there is always a question inside me , wat Iam doing....I never thought of IAS I just loved glamorous life and luckily got it at so early stage many of my time is spended in 5star hotels................... but I always feel something is missing......dnt no wat.............
what could be missing??!! spending times in 5 Star hotels.... high enough salary to meet the requirements of you and more than that your family!! dats wat i want to do the most!! give my family whatever they want..... a big house car..... money is definitely imp!!

i just want to ask you 1 thing, which ppl dont realise now..... how much is the actual work load being in an MNC??
16th June 2011, 01:31 PM
Serious Advisor

Quote:
hiii... alll

If your age is less than 30,....then give a sincere try to IAS at least once,....maybe it's power, authority which can fill that void which you feel is in your life,.....Luckily if you are selected in Civil Services, you will come to know whether its power, social recognition or monetary factors which are more important in your life,.....If you get fed up with Civil Services any time in your life,....you can switch over to private sector at any time in your life.
12th July 2011, 01:21 PM
Unregistered

Exclamation Re: IAS or CAT, which exam to prepare?

Quote:
hiii... alll

man 100% your dream is to become an IAS officer,i also felt in the same way ,get much much much inspiration on it do it!!!!!!!!
15th July 2011, 12:01 PM
Unregistered

Respected sir i am student of b.com 2year in kashmir division i am eligble for cat & where the application forms are avalible in j&k
6th August 2011, 07:45 PM
Unregistered

cn i clear the ias in first attempt.....n wat r d post i offered if i cleared ias??
7th August 2011, 12:03 PM
Unregistered

which of the exams in ias and net has got more importance and place
8th August 2011, 09:28 PM
Unregistered

i have passed my 12th grade.. can i prepare 4 both ias nd cat simultaneously? i want 2 hav 1 as a back up.
15th August 2011, 08:49 PM
ammajii

Hi dear,
I think IAS is the best option. So if you are interested in IAS then first complete your Bachelors Degree only then you are eligible for IAS exams. So please go for only one
side either IAS or CAT. So please choose according to your choice and interest and
if you want to complete study material for IAS and CAT, then please visit this given
site-

http://www.tcyonline.com/india

For more detail regarding IAS exams, then please visit -

Thanks
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?