21st February 2011, 12:53 PM
Unregistered

Which subject should I select in Electrical Engineering for IAS exam?

thanks

Related Questions:
  1. Information regarding IAS Exam being a candidate of pursuing EEE?
  2. Can you give me ideas for choosing the 2nd subject for Civil Services Exam while doing Electrical and Electronics?
  3. Which course is apt for IAS aspirants - LLB or Electrical Engineering?
  4. How to select a coaching institute for IAS exam? What is the criteria for getting admission? Best coaching institute for IAS exam in Hyderabad? Which subjects should a B.Tech Electrical Engineering student choose?
  5. Which optional subjects to choose for Electrical Engineering for IAS exam?
  6. Can I select management subject in mains exam of IAS if I have selected Public Administration as optional in prelims?
  7. Which one to select between IPS and IAS?
  8. How to become an IAS officer after Engineering (ECE)? how to prepare and subjects to study? Is it necessary to join IAS academy to prepare? -- [Most Discussed]
  9. Selection of optional subjects in IAS exam -- [New]
  10. How to become an IAS while pursuing B.tech in Electrical engineering
  11. Can I select any one of my engineering subject as optional subject?
  12. Which subjects should an Electrical Engineer choose for IAS exam? Will electrical engineering and zoology be helpful for me as mains paper?
  13. How to prepare for IAS entrance exam? I am an electrical engineer
  14. Which subjects I have to select for my Graduation to become an IAS being a candidate from 12th Class with Commerce?
  15. Best subject for a computer science student in IAS? -- [Most Discussed]
  16. Which subjects should a BCA student select for IAS exam?
  17. Is it good to choose Electrical Engineering as one the optional subject for Civil Services Examination?
  18. Electrical Engineering Better Subject for Civil Services Exam?
25th April 2011, 12:09 PM
amahajan

Default Re: Which subject should I select in Electrical Engineering for IAS exam?

Dear
No body can tell you which subject you should choose but can tell you how to choose. You should choose a subject which one is easy to understand and memorize and revise. and it should be interesting to you because it is easy to understand a subject if it belongs to your area of interest.
25th April 2011, 12:15 PM
amahajan

Default Re: Which subject should I select in Electrical Engineering for IAS exam?

Dear
No body can tell you which subject you should choose but can tell you how to choose. You should choose a subject which one is easy to understand and memorize and revise. and it should be interesting to you because it is easy to understand a subject if it belongs to your area of interest.
25th April 2011, 03:53 PM

Electrical Engineering syllabus for IAS exam

Paper-I

1. Circuit Theory:

Circuit components; network graphs; KCL, KVL; circuit analysis methods: nodal analysis, mesh analysis; basic network theorems and applications; transient analysis: RL, RC and RLC circuits; sinusoidal steady state analysis; resonant circuits; coupled circuits; balanced 3-phase circuits; Two-port networks.

2. Signals & Systems:

Representation of continuous–time and discrete-time signals & systems; LTI systems; convolution; impulse response; time-domain analysis of LTI systems based on convolution and differential/difference equations. Fourier transform, Laplace transform, Z-transform, Transfer function. Sampling and recovery of signals DFT, FFT Processing of analog signals through discrete-time systems.

3. E.M. Theory:

Maxwell’s equations, wave propagation in bounded media. Boundary conditions, reflection and refraction of plane waves. Transmission line: travelling and standing waves, impedance matching, Smith chart.

4. Analog Electronics:

Characteristics and equivalent circuits (large and small-signal) of Diode, BJT, JFET and MOSFET. Diode circuits: clipping, clamping, rectifier. Biasing and bias stability. FET amplifiers. Current mirror; Amplifiers: single and multi-stage, differential, operational, feedback and power. Analysis of amplifiers; frequency-response of amplifiers. OPAMP circuits. Filters; sinusoidal oscillators: criterion for oscillation; single-transistor and OPAMP configurations. Function generators and wave-shaping circuits. Linear and switching power supplies.

5. Digital Electronics:

Boolean algebra; minimization of Boolean functions; logic gates; digital IC families (DTL, TTL, ECL, MOS, CMOS). Combinational circuits: arithmetic circuits, code converters, multiplexers and decoders. Sequential circuits: latches and flip-flops, counters and shift-registers. Comparators, timers, multivibrators. Sample and hold circuits, ADCs and DACs. Semiconductor memories. Logic implementation using programmable devices (ROM, PLA, FPGA).

6. Energy Conversion:

Principles of electromechanical energy conversion: Torque and emf in rotating machines. DC machines: characteristics and performance analysis; starting and speed control of motors; Transformers: principles of operation and analysis; regulation, efficiency; 3-phase transformers. 3-phase induction machines and synchronous machines: characteristics and preformance analysis; speed control.

7. Power Electronics and Electric Drives:

Semiconductor power devices: diode, transistor, thyristor, triac, GTO and MOSFET–static characteristics and principles of operation; triggering circuits; phase control rectifiers; bridge converters: fully-controlled and half-controlled; principles of thyristor choppers and inverters; DC-DC converters; Switch mode inverter; basic concepts of speed control of dc and ac motor drives applications of variable-speed drives.

8. Analog Communication:

Random variables: continuous, discrete; probability, probability functions. Statistical averages; probability models; Random signals and noise: white noise, noise equivalent bandwidth; signal transmission with noise; signal to noise ratio. Linear CW modulation: Amplitude modulation: DSB, DSB-SC and SSB. Modulators and Demodulators; Phase and Frequency modulation: PM & FM signals; narrowband FM; generation & detection of FM and PM, Deemphasis, Preemphasis. CW modulation system: Superhetrodyne receivers, AM receivers, communication receivers, FM receivers, phase locked loop, SSB receiver Signal to noise ratio calculation for AM and FM receivers.

Paper-II
1. Control Systems:

Elements of control systems; block-diagram representation; open-loop & closed-loop systems; principles and applications of feed-back. Control system components. LTI systems: time-domain and transform-domain analysis. Stability: Routh Hurwitz criterion, root-loci, Bode-plots and polar plots, Nyquist’s criterion; Design of lead-lad compensators. Proportional, PI, PID controllers. State-variable representation and analysis of control systems.

2. Microprocessors and Microcomputers:

PC organisation; CPU, instruction set, register set, timing diagram, programming, interrupts, memory interfacing, I/O interfacing, programmable peripheral devices.

3. Measurement and Instrumentation:

Error analysis; measurement of current, voltage, power, energy, power-factor, resistance, inductance, capacitance and frequency; bridge measurement. Signal conditioning circuit; Electronic measuring instruments: multimeter, CRO, digital voltmeter, frequency counter, Q-meter, spectrum-analyzer, distortion-meter. Transducers: thermocouple, thermistor, LVDT, strain-gauge, piezo-electric crystal.

4. Power Systems: Analysis and Control:

Steady-state performance of overhead transmission lines and cables; principles of active and reactive power transfer and distribution; per-unit quantities; bus admittance and impedance matrices; load flow; voltage control and power factor correction; economic operation; symmetrical components, analysis of symmetrical and unsymmetrical faults. Concept of system stability: swing curves and equal area criterion. Static VAR system. Basic concepts of HVDC transmission.

5. Power System Protection:

Principles of overcurrent, differential and distance protection. Concept of solid state relays. Circuit breakers. Computer aided protection: Introduction; line bus, generator, transformer protection; numeric relays and application of DSP to protection.

6. Digital Communication:

Pulse code modulation (PCM), differential pulse code modulation (DPCM), delta modulation (DM), Digital modulation and demodulation schemes: amplitude, phase and frequency keying schemes (ASK, PSK, FSK). Error control coding: error detection and correction, linear block codes, convolution codes. Information measure and source coding. Data networks, 7-layer architecture.
25th April 2011, 06:09 PM
aaqibyousf

I think Electrical Machines
26th April 2011, 02:51 AM
deep_4
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
For All Engineering Candidates i must say Mathematics is The subject Where you can keep your Faith.

Because Its very Own Subject and From 11th onwards we are Studying Mathematics and you Should pick Mathematics as a Optional Subject in IAS Exam.

But Before Opting For this you should have Interests of Mathematics.

if you have Then its a very Good Subject.
26th April 2011, 02:21 PM
roligupta91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

thanks
i SUGGEST U TO CHOOSE MATHEMATICS SUBJECT IN IAS EXAM .I ALSO SUGGEST U TO DEVELOP INTEREST IN THIS SUBJECT IT WILL BE VERY HELPFUL TO U TO GET THROUGH IT
26th April 2011, 02:29 PM
shermin
Senior Member+

It depends all upon you as you have to study.Choose that subject which you are interested in and which you feel is easy for you to understand.
26th April 2011, 09:03 PM
aditya436
Senior Member++++

Arrow Re: Which subject should I select in Electrical Engineering for IAS exam?

Well friend..!!

you can take a variety of subjects

if you have grip in your core subject

then you will find a optional regarding the same that is electrical engineering

if your strong in your engineering subjects then you can easily excel the paper

apart from that you can relate Mathematics with your educational background

Now the interest plays a vital role

i.e.,

According to your interest you can opt subjects like personally i have interest in these subjects

->Psychology

->Geography

->Economics

you may be not interested in the above subjects it depends on the persons mentality and attitude

so give a top position for your tastes and preferences and select the best optional

Wishes

~aditya~
3rd August 2011, 10:45 AM
Lyk23

Look guyz !

* In my opinion i will say Mathematics.

* Look , Its very basic Subject and From 10th onwards we are Studying Mathematics and you Should pick Mathematics as a Optional Subject in IAS Exam.

* It is based on your Interests of Mathematics,

if you have then its a very Good Subject.
30th June 2013, 08:09 PM
luckyss
Senior Member++

dear friend.....

subject should I select in Electrical Engineering for IAS exam
---------------------------------

1.Energy Conversion
2.Measurement and Instrumentation
3.Analog Communication
4.Power System Protection
5.Control Systems
6.Digital Communication
7.Microprocessors
8.Microcomputers
9.Measurement and Instrumentation
10.Power Systems: Analysis and Control
11.e.m Theory
12.Signals & Systems
13.Digital Communication
14.Analog Communication
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?