30th November 2011, 07:46 PM
susanphilip

What choice do I have in M.Tech or in MS after 2 years of completion of B.Tech degree?

Hello,

I am a Computer Science B.Tech graduate . I had 4 supplementaries, which I cleared in 1 year after passing out. I am the first Engineer in our extended family, so I used to think B.tech was a big thing, but now...

I tried working in the IT field but left only after 4 months. I would like to do further studies, but I am not good at programming. It has now been almost 2 1/2 yrs. What choice do I have in M.tech or MS? Is it necessary to write GATE for M.tech?

Also, what is the difference between M.Tech and MS? Which is better? I can't decide on a major for my higher studies..

Please help, since I have no one who can guide me.

Thanks in advance.
S.philip

Related Questions:
  1. Can I directly do Ph.d after completion of my dual degree in Civil Engineering in JNTUH?
  2. Which course is better after completion of B.Tech?
  3. Am I eligible to do M.Tech in aeronautical instrumentation after completion of B.Tech degree?
  4. Apart from teaching profession which are the other career opportunities available after M.Tech?
  5. Eligibility to teach engineering college as Assistant Professor/Associate Professor?
  6. What is the difference between pursuing MBA and M.Tech?
  7. Which is a better choice for me between Job and M.Tech course after completion of Degree? List of Colleges offering M.Tech in Automobile Engineering?
  8. Which course is a better choice for me after the completion of B.Tech between MBA and M.Tech? Which course will provide more Job Opportunities?
  9. Which course is better for me between ME and M.Tech to get Jobs in Software Industries being a student from ECE stream? Which Entrance Exams should I go for this?
  10. How many B.Tech colleges are affiliated to KUK?
  11. Different Exams that a Chemical Engineering candidate can appear for after completion of B.Tech?
  12. What are the opportunities after completion of B.Tech? I am studying B.Tech 2nd year
  13. List of software engineering branches available for GATE in IIT's for M.Tech?
  14. Which course I can take up for doing Masters after completion of B.Tech ECE? -- [New]
  15. Am I eligible to teach B.Tech, M.Tech students?
  16. Is it possible to do M.Tech in Mathematics after doing B.Tech in Electronics and Communications?
  17. Can I be eligible to apply for Jobs in Jammu and Kashmir after completion of B.Tech Degree?
  18. Mtech admission with less than 60% aggregate in Btech? -- [Most Discussed]
27th November 2016, 06:21 PM
ranjeet250490
Senior Member++++

Arrow Re: What choice do I have in M.Tech or in MS after 2 years of completion of B.Tech degree?

It is a good thing that you wish to go for higher studies. But it is a face that B.Tech carries a lot of value only if it is done from a Tier 1 college such as IITs, NITs, BITs etc. However, now that you are a B.Tech already and have worked in IT sector for sometime, you must have realised the need for further education.

A lot of people who have worked in the IT industry have moved out after a few years in search of better education, better job profiles etc.

Here is what you can best do to shape your career in a greater direction:

1. MS / M.Tech:

M.Tech means Masters of Technology which is nothing but a 2 years full time program that aims at advancing the technical education of a B.Tech. Here is the basic eligibility criteria to take up M.Tech in India:

a. The candidate must be a full time B.Tech from a reputed university/college in India and must have score minimum 60% or equivalent CGPA in the course to be eligible for M.Tech

b. GATE - Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is the all India exam that you have to aim to give such that all M.Tech colleges offer courses through this exam ONLY.

c. This exams happens in the month of February and so look out for forms and all from the month of October (previous year).

M.Tech is a good course to do again provided you do it form the IITs, NITs, or BITS. It is purely technical and ONLY if you wish to build a career in the technical domain should you opt for this course.

MS on the other hand is about Masters of Science and majorly happens outside of India. GRE - Graduate Record Examination is the one that you have to appear for to be eligible to apply for colleges abroad for M.S.

Undoubtedly, it has much greater scope outside India and many people lead a much better life there after doing M.S.

2. MBA - Masters of Business Administration

2nd option that you can think of is MBA which is a full time 2 years program that offers courses in the following domains:

Marketing
Finance
Operations
Human Resources

You must meet the following eligibility criteria's to be able to take up MBA:

a. You must be a minimum graduate in ANY stream to be able to do MBA/PGDM.

b. Sit for all India entrances such as CAT, MAT, XAT, NMAT, SNAP, IIFT, etc. once you crack these with required cut off scores, you have to then appear for GDs and PIs.

c. Upon successful selection, you can take up MBA/PGDM course.

Frankly, MBA is a more preferred course in India than M.Tech or M.S This is because it is more in demand and is highly paid. MBAs are getting good salary after they are done with their post graduation and therefore it depends on you now as to what you wish to do in life.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?