14th November 2011, 12:12 PM
cdudejatin

What is the procedure to score good marks in SAT?

i m procuring my B.E. degree from siddaganga institute of technology,tumkur,karnataka and i m in 1st year. i m not satisfied being here.
i want to go abroad in top universities. i just wanted to know what preparations should i make to get good percentile in SAT and upto what percentile can i get admission in good universities for my b.tech degree

29th April 2012, 05:10 PM
abcxyzlenovo2
Member+

Default Re: What is the procedure to score good marks in SAT?

You should practice with real SAT tests. Try to buy the "blue book" of real SATs that the College Board publishes. Most of the other books have a lot of mistakes in them and aren't the same level of difficulty as the real tests.

When you have the book, take one test to see what your scores are like. After you know that, there's an interesting trick you can do to improve your score. Pick a target score about 100 points above your first score. Then calculate how many questions you need to answer to get that score. You can (and should) actually ignore the extra questions near the end of the section, and use your time to make sure you get the others right. Unfortunately, if your first score is 700 or above in a given section, this isn't going to help because you'll need to answer almost all the questions to get an 800.
29th April 2012, 05:26 PM
10shilpa
Member+

Default Re: What is the procedure to score good marks in SAT?

Practice. This is the most important step in scoring high on the SAT and PSAT. Use College Board's practice study tools to prepare for the SAT. Question of the Day may be useful, as well as making use of the practice questions and exams.
Find how many questions you should attempt to answer. It is important to set goals because this will tell you how many questions you should try to answer. Don't try to answer too many questions, because you aren't penalized for questions you don't answer. However, you are penalized for wrong answers on multiple choice questions. This doesn't mean you should skip every question you're unsure about, however.
Pace yourself. Move quickly (but carefully) through the easy questions (which are in the beginning), but steadily and slowly through the harder questions. Don't answer questions 15-20 in each section unless you have at least 5 minutes left. In that case, look at the remaining 5 questions and choose 2 you like best, and try to answer them.
Know how to guess. If you can eliminate at least one of the answers, always guess. If you can rule out answers that make no sense, you dramatically improve your chances of getting the question right. Many math questions have absurd questions that absolutely can never be true (negative numbers when positive are required, wrong units.)
Keep track of time. Bring a watch, even if there's a clock in the room. Set your watch to 12:00 so you can quickly figure out how much time has elapsed and how much you have left. Even if there's a clock in the room, it wastes needed time to look up and figure out the time (especially from analog clocks).

Think positively toward you and your goals

Studying Latin roots may help you with vocabulary.

Make sure you eat and sleep well in the days prior and day of the exam.

You may bring a calculator, but it is not necessary in order to complete the test.

Don't read the directions or look at the sample questions.

This is a waste of time. Learn the directions before you take the test.

Remember that all questions are worth only 1 point, easy or hard, so focus your time
on

questions you find easy and answer the hardest ones only if you are certain you know how to.

Feel free to skip around at your own discretion

Take note of the types of questions you do the best on them, and when you take
the

SAT, head for the questions you are comfortable with

You can write anything you want in your test booklet.

Use this opportunity to highlight and write notes in the margin

Circle your answers in the test booklet and copy them to the answer booklet.

This is faster than copying to the answer booklet directly.

Make sure you stop and copy them within the last 3 minutes of the section.

Base your answers only on the information given to you, not what you already know.

One of sections 2-7 is an experimental section.

That is, it is not graded, and is used to determine the fairness of questions on future exams.

You are not told which section is the experimental section, so do your best on all of them.
[
B]You can take the SAT more than once[/B]
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?