22nd July 2012, 10:14 PM
anjalika mahajan

What is the requirement for Astronomy after completing 12th? What is the scope?

i am in class 12th anad have pcm....i m interested in astronomy....what is the requiremnet......what about entrance exam.....what is scope in it.......?????plz guide me for the same...b

Related Questions:
  1. Can I study Astronomy in Graduation after completing 12th Science? List of colleges which offer Astronomy in Delhi? -- [New]
  2. Is there a good scope for Law after completing 12th commerce? What is the requirement and eligibility?
  3. Scope of pursuing a career in Astronomy in IISC?
  4. Which are the entrance tests related to Astronomy or Astrophysics? Is there any online Astronomy class?
  5. What is the requirement to pursue career in astronomy after 12th
  6. Is MSc in Astronomy having a good scope in India? Which are the universities offering this course?
  7. In which entrance exam I have to appear for admission in Astronomy UG program after completing Diploma in E&TC? Eligibility criteria and tips for preparation?
  8. What to do after 12th to get into the field of Astronomy?
  9. Will there be any carrer scope through M.Tech in Astronomy from IITs?
  10. How to become an Astronaut after studying Mechanical Engineering?
  11. Possibility to get admission in Ph.D(Astronomy) programme for M.Sc(Astronomy) student? In which entrance exam I have to appear?
  12. Scope for Researching field if I do Ph.d in Radio Astronomy? Is it Necessary to do Post Graduation or PhD to Enter Research Field?
  13. What to do after passing 12th to get in the field of Astronomy?
  14. What should I do after B.E to go for astronomy field?
  15. Stream to choose in 11th standard for becoming an Astronaut?
  16. What to do after BSc Physics? -- [Most Discussed]
  17. Eligibility to study B.Sc(Astronomy & Astrophysics) for 12th passed candidate?
  18. Which courses to do after 9th so as to become an Astronaut?
23rd July 2012, 12:04 PM
priyankasree

Default Re: What is the requirement for Astronomy after completing 12th? What is the scope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjalika mahajan View Post
i am in class 12th anad have pcm....i m interested in astronomy....what is the requiremnet......what about entrance exam.....what is scope in it.......?????plz guide me for the same...b
BASIC REQUIREMENT FOR ASTRONAUT CANDIDATE PROGRAMME

1.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENT

HEIGHT - 62-72 inches

BP - 140/90

EYE SIGHT - 20/20 vision (corrective eye surgeries e.g lasik allowed)

2. QUALIFICATION

BACHELOR'S DEGREE IN ENGINEERING
BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE
PHYSICAL SCIENCE
COMPUTER SCIENCE
OR
MATHEMATICS

3.EXPERIENCE

- 3 YEARS EXPERIENCE OF RELEVANT PROFESSION
OR
1000 hours of pilot-in-command in jet aircraft.

4.A candidate has to be US citizen.

NASA WEBSITE - www.nasajobs.nasa.gov
23rd July 2012, 12:33 PM
imira
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: What is the requirement for Astronomy after completing 12th? What is the scope?

One of the options available is to join for the B.Tech course in the field of astronomy in institutes like IIT. For this you appear for IIT-JEE. Other than this you can join for the B.Sc course too. Make sure both Physics and Maths are amongst the subjects you study. Thereafter you can apply for M.Sc course. Pursuing Ph.D after masters course will surely help in career growth.
23rd July 2012, 02:26 PM
Shaenma
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjalika mahajan View Post
Astronomy is the science that deals with the material universe beyond the earth’s atmosphere. It also helps to study the laws that governs them and the effect they produce upon one another.

Astronomy is divided into several branches such as:
Astrophysics
Astrometeorology
Astrophysics
Astrobiology
Astrogeology
Astrometry

You can either pursue your career in theoretical astronomy or instrumentation astronomy.

For pursuing a career in theoretical astronomy you need to do your B.Sc in mathematics or physics after which you will get to do master's with specialization in theoretical astronomy from different universities and institutions in India and abroad.

For a career in instrumentation astronomy however a B.Tech degree in electrical or electronics and electronics and communication is required. Then you will be eligible to sit for JEST exam or Joint Entrance Screening Test which will make you eligible to pursue this course and opt for higher education.

Although a lot of master's level courses and PhD courses are available but right now none of the Indian educational institutions provides any under graduate courses in astronomy.

You can do the one year joint astronomy program which is jointly conducted by the following institutes:
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bangalore
Raman Research Institute
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai

On successfully completing this course you can get the opportunity of doing PhD from any one of the above mentioned institute.

Research option in GTR and cosmology is also available in TIFR, Mumbai and Inter-University Center for Astronomy and Astrophysics , Pune.

After completing the above mentioned courses you can find scope of working as a research scientist in various research institutes-government or private. One of the top recruiter is ndian Space Research Organization.

The option of joining non profit organizations like Association of Bangalore Amateur Astronomers is also wide open which gives the opportunity of making telescopes and organizing observation sessions for the public. You will also work with an aim to popularize this course as well.

In the beginning however your primary work would be to work in a team as a fellow researcher. For seminars which is conducted both in India and abroad you may have to travel with your team.
22nd January 2013, 02:10 PM
Unregistered

Sir, I had PCB- Physics, Chemistry, Biology as my Subjects in 12th class. Can i pursue for Astronomy (or Astrophysics) after doing B.sc in Physics as the main subject?
14th February 2013, 11:46 PM
Unregistered

I had PCB- Physics, Chemistry, Biology as my Subjects in 12th class. Is there a career i can pursue in astronomy that involves the study of medicine or biology in general ?
21st May 2013, 01:16 PM
Unregistered

I have just completed my 10th recently. i have chosen MPC. i am intrested in astronomy(related to space) so i need your suggestions. Is MPC correct for Me.
1st June 2013, 09:49 AM
Unregistered

I have PCM in 12th and I want to make career in astronomy after 12 so what I have to do for this plz tell me.
20th July 2013, 07:49 PM
Unregistered

I WANT MASTER IN THE FIELD OF SPACE, TIME AND DIMENSION AS I AM VEY INTERESTED TO MAKE TIME MACHINE, TO TRAVEL DIMENSIONS. SO ARE THERE ANY OPTION FOR ME IN SUCH FIELD FROM MECHANICAL ENGINEERING?
25th September 2013, 04:45 PM
Unregistered

How to qualify to leave earth?..(:
21st November 2013, 03:07 PM
Unregistered

what is requirement for study of astonomy after 12 completion or it is necessary to give entrance exam
26th November 2013, 02:58 PM
Unregistered

Astronomy with pcb is it possible?
28th January 2014, 01:12 PM
Unregistered

Smile Re: What is the requirement for Astronomy after completing 12th? What is the scope?

i am in class 12th anad have pcm....i m interested in astronomy....what is the requiremnet......what about entrance exam.....what is scope in it.......?????plz guide me for the same...
3rd July 2014, 12:38 PM
Unregistered

Sir,can a pcb student become scientist in astrobiology? What are the requirements?
16th March 2016, 07:44 PM
Unregistered

What is easier way to make career in astronomy?????
3rd April 2016, 07:40 PM
Unregistered

I am a class 12 th graduate who took PCB as a main subject who wants to pursue physics hons. can I become astrophysicist of astrogeologer . Pls suggest me with a good suggestion .
9th November 2016, 05:31 PM
Unregistered

I am an epileptic patient and doing HS taking science stream. Can I study for astro physics?
12th March 2017, 04:54 PM
Unregistered

I am in class 9th and my dream is to became astronaut and my question in which sub I have to focus more and more? Please reply
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?