31st August 2012, 02:11 PM
Unregistered

What is the right age to target or aim for IAS?

my daughter is studying 8th standard in a good public school. what is the right age to target or aim for i.a.s. & what i shall advise her at this age to look for ias
-- i.suresh

9th October 2012, 01:16 PM
sherleytwain
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: What is the right age to target or aim for IAS?

She is too young to start preparing for the Indian Administrative Service. I would advice you not to put any expectation on her at such a age as it would only do harm to her rather than bringing any good.

Firstly you should ensure whether you would like to become IAS officer. May be she already has something in mind to do after 12th or graduation. In such case I would say that don't force your dreams on her and let her pursue whatever she wishes after all this is her life and she has every right to decide.

Now if she has decided to join IAS then you can start with the basic preparation. I would say help her improve her English skills. English language is very important in the IAS. Even in the Main exam, she will come across at least 2 papers related to English. Therefore it is better that you improve her English from now on.

Try to communicate with her in English. It would help her in gaining confidence to speak with someone in English. Writting and speaking English are two different things. She will have to write exams and therefore even a small grammar mistake would get noticed.

Other thing you can do is that encourage her to keep some track of what is happening around. General Knowledge is also very essential for the her. Reading newspapers and watching news would help her.

You should know that there would be an exam on Indian language. For this exam your daughter would have to select one of the 18 Indian languages. Make sure you daughter is fluent in one of the 18 languages.

This is what your daughter can do right now. For the main preparation I would say that the second year of graduation course would be perfect time to start. Although 6-8 months are enough to prepare for Civil Service Exam but still I suggest more time to prepare for the exam.

Eligibility

1. You must be of Indian origin.

2. A graduation degree in any stream from a recognized university.

3. Age limit for the exam is 21 to 30 years.

4. There is 3 years relaxation for OBC candidates.

5. SC/ST candidates are eligible for 5 years relaxation.
23rd July 2013, 10:13 PM
imira
Senior Member+++++

It is better to start exam preparation by reaching graduation. Exam preparations can be started after collecting detailed syllabus from UPSC portal. It is better to have exam preparations during degree by side. Upper age limit to join IAS is 30 years. Questions on topics like Indian polity, constitution, history, geography, social and economic development are asked for the exam.
12th May 2014, 12:14 PM
Unregistered

Dear sir/Madan
My daughter is now in eight class. l want her to be a. IAD officer. Pl. guide what myself and my
daughter has to do to get succeed.
Thanks with regards
Sarah Pujari
satishbpujari @gmail.com
Cell. 9823441672
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?