21st February 2018, 12:10 PM

What is the scope of studying PhD in Food Technology in India?

I have completed M.Sc in Clinical Research and would like to know the scope for PhD Food Technology in India? How is this combination? What type of jobs can I expect after completing this? Can I also be a Lecturer?

Related Questions:
  1. What is the scope of food technology?
  2. What is the scope of Food Technology for female candidates in terms of job security?
  3. Topics available to study PhD for Food Technology student?
  4. How can I get admission in Germany for PhD in Food Technology?
  5. Can I study PhD(Food Technology) through UGC-NET being a Food Science & Technology postgraduate? -- [New]
  6. Scope of M.Sc in Food Technology and necessity of maths for doing the same?
  7. Whether JNTU offer PhD in Food Technology?
  8. What is the eligibility criteria followed to do Ph.D in Germany with scholarship?
  9. Is there any universities or research centres offering PhD in Food Technology?
  10. Possibility to study Food Technology Diploma course for B.Sc(Botany) student? Scope of Diploma in Food Technology?
  11. Ph.D in biotechnology after M.Sc in Food technology? List of institutes conducting entrance for Ph.D with scholarship?
  12. What should I do next after M.Sc in Microbiology Food Technology?
  13. How should I prepare for the Entrance Exam for Ph.D course being a student pursuing M.Sc in Food Technology? What options are there in Ph.D in India and Abroad?
  14. Scope of studying B.Tech in both Agricultural Engineering and Food Technology?
  15. Cutoff GATE score required to study PhD in Food Technology?
  16. Scope of B.Tech Food Technology in India? -- [Most Discussed]
  17. What is the scope for food processing technology in India? Scope for Agricultural courses in Tamilnadu? What are the job opportunities?
  18. Eligibility to do PhD in Germany for M.Sc(Food Technology) postgraduate who is working in Research and Development field?
27th February 2018, 07:01 PM
Effort Never Dies
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: What is the scope of studying PhD in Food Technology in India?

Scope of PhD in Food Technology course in India:

Candidates from Clinical Research background can get into Food Technology field, hence I can say that both these are of a good combination. In general, Clinical Research which is a branch of healthcare science that helps in determining the effectiveness of the medications, safety improvements, diagnostic products..etc.,

Of course yes, there is a good scope for candidates from Food Technology background. You may find employment opportunities in the following companies Nestle India, Sonai Dairy, Bunge India..etc., as Quality Control Inspector, Food Inspector, Food Technologist, Toxicologist, Product Development Scientist..etc.,

Yes, after successful completion of Master's Degree or doctoral program you can become a Lecturer in this field. Some of the colleges offering this course are,

<> Guru Nanak Dev University

<> Jadavpur University

<> University of Kashmir

<> Amity Institute of Food Technology

<> Punjab Agricultural University

<> Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology..etc.,
1st August 2020, 11:44 AM
deepikapandey9999

Default Re: What is the scope of studying PhD in Food Technology in India?

As a fresher, a Food Technologist can earn INR Rs 2 to 3 lakh per annum (average) in India.

Within 5 years, you can reach INR 500,000 – 640,000 per annum. With an experience of 10 years on your CV, you can expect annual package of INR 900,000 – 1,180,000.

The salary structure for professionals within the Manufacturing function could be 20% (approximately) less than those in the R&D or QC/QA function. If you enjoy lot of frequent traveling, then go for the roles of Food Inspector.

Academic roles will pay as per the University pay scales. Then there will be more extra incentives as well for Sales & Marketing professionals. For nutritionist and dieticians, median annual wage is INR 210,000 for fresher; and Nutrition Managers can earn INR 750,000 per annum (average). As a nutritionist or diet counselor, you can also do freelancing.

If you end up in the Sales & Marketing (including Brand Management) role, the salary levels will be 20 – 25% higher than the R&D and QC/QA professionals.

Scope of Food Technologists in Industrial Sector:

-In a Small Scale Enterprise, a Food Technologist can become Technical Head.

-In a Medium Scale Enterprise, a Food Technologist can become Divisional head i.e. Production Head, QA Head or R&D head.

-In a Large Scale Enterprise, a Food Technologist can become Manager from Executive level of joining.

Degree courses in advanced food technology, legal aspects, management etc, will give opportunity to grow even up to CEO level.

Educational Requirements:

Food scientists and technologists seeking positions with private companies are considered qualified with a bachelor's degree, but those who hope to work at universities will need a master's or doctorate (Ph.D.). Food scientists and technologists don't need a license to practice.

Ideally you need to have Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (PCB) combination in your 10+2, and may be Mathematics as well. At Bachelors level, ideal courses are 3-year or 4-year degree courses in Food Science, Food Technology, Food Science and Technology, or Food Science and Agriculture.

To have a career in R&D, QC and QA, you will require a higher degree (Masters or PhD). You can gain more advantage by pursuing a higher degree from abroad. If you are more inclined towards the sales and marketing (product/brand management) roles then an MBA will be very helpful.

In case you want to pursue a career as a Nutritionist or Dietician, a formal degree after Bachelors is not always necessary. You can do a Certificate or PG Diploma course in Nutrition or Dietetics.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?